• 45 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by 3pinballs
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hi all,

does anyone know where I can order pinball vinyl protector sheets. I tried pinball pal and my money got refunded twice and paypal indicated they are under some sort of investigation.

I was cutting vinyl sheets to protect wear areas as they peel up easily unlike mylar and are in no way permanent. I used my last piece under my AC/DC cannon that the PF was already getting massive dimples and scratches from air balls bouncing back with less than 50 plays. So I put it there and in the shooter lane for protection.

Now I desperately need more and have no clue where pinball pal was getting it from. I could buy some mylar though would prefer to use the vinyl as it has worked flawlessly in protecting my pinball machines.

#2 11 years ago

I would also love to get any info on where I to get vinyl sheets with no adhesive backing. They protect well are almost invisible and leave no mess behind when you want to remove them.

#3 11 years ago

Same here! Last order bounced.

#4 11 years ago

http://pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

Clear Mylar Rolls and Sheets
This is a clear Mylar self-adhesive plastic film. This is used to protect high-wear areas on the playfield. Available in a full roll of 27" x 38", a half roll of 27" x 19", and an individual sheet of 9" x 12".Thickness is 2 mils or .002".

#5 11 years ago

Check the automotive industry. At the last few SEMAs there have been many companies showcasing their "paint protectors" that are pretty much just clear vinyl sheets cut to fit specific cars. They even had a Mercedes there completely covered in the stuff. I don't believe it left ANY kind of residue on the vehicle whatsoever. There was even a company that was showing their product on a Ferrari 430 Scuderia.

I'm not sure what the adhesive is, but I can vouch for it not leaving anything that isn't easily wiped up with a wet cloth. I even grabbed a sample of it to cut to the size of my ipod touch as a screen protector.

Word of warning though: it's very supple stuff. It has a lot of give to it. You could impress is with a fingernail quite easily. It might make for a slower playfield. But, if you get it thin enough, it shouldn't be an issue. But because it's used for cars, it might also have some UV shielding qualities as well, might be great for cabinet art protection!

I make no guarantees as its performance for a non-intended use, though. Good luck!

#6 11 years ago

Look up static cling vinyl. Hopefully Mark recovers fully very soon.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Look up static cling vinyl. Hopefully Mark recovers fully very soon.

This stuff is similar to what Mark was selling ??

http://www.amazon.com/Grafix-9-Inch-12-Inch-Cling-6-Pack/dp/B002J6CO9I/ref=pd_sbs_ac_1

#8 11 years ago

http://www.amazon.com/Team-Plastics-Static-Cling-Vinyl/dp/B0048HCSI8/ref=sr_1_1

I ordered this and hope this is it.

This stuff I ordered before (below) and it was not super clear. I figured I'll use it for decals

http://www.amazon.com/Grafix-9-Inch-12-Inch-Cling-6-Pack/dp/B002J6CO9I/ref=pd_sbs_ac_1

2 weeks later
#9 11 years ago

This is the stuff. Works great and now I have a ton of it

#10 11 years ago

Hmmmm "sticks by static"... this works? The pinball pal stuff had an adhesive that was "removable" but after time that clearly was not the case as many went ballistic realizing that you cant lift it from flipper button areas without damage and some even damaged their playfields by removing via peeling away.

I would love to know if this stuff has NO adhesive yet sticks? Please confirm if you can.. thanks!

#11 11 years ago

I have 52" rolls of clear vinyl with adhesive

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from justjoe:

I have 52" rolls of clear vinyl with adhesive

Where did you get the roll at ??

#13 11 years ago

I use it in my sign shop.

#14 11 years ago

I recently purchased the Grafix 9X12 sheets (http://www.amazon.com/Grafix-9-Inch---12-Inch-Cling-6-Pack/dp/B002J6CO9I/ref=sr_1_1) after I saw the pinball pal sheets at The_Dude_Abides house. I have pre-cut a bunch of in-lane sized pieces for all of my machines. It works really well, but the one thing I've found (as with mylar) is they tend to be a little bit on the thick side and can affect the movement of the ball. And to JoeJet's question, there is no adhesive at all; you can put it down, pull it up, and reapply as needed.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I have recently ordered non-adhesive vinyl from here:

thats 7 mil thick is that too thick?

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : Don't want pinheads to mistakenly order wrong stuff.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

thats 7 mil thick is that too thick?

Yea I agree didn't see how thick it was when I ordered that. I would stick with the thinner stuff mentioned by others above. I'm going to edit that out so others don't make the same mistake good looking out Jdawg.

#18 11 years ago

would this be the right thing?
ebay.com link: Sign vinyl 12 x 10 ft STATIC CLING CLEAR

seems like it to me. does anyone know what Calendered means?

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

does anyone know what Calendered means?

A machine in which paper or cloth is made smooth and glossy by being pressed through rollers.

#20 11 years ago

Im going to try this. Only 8 bucks for 10 feet. Im let you know how it looks.

ebay.com link: itm

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Im going to try this. Only 8 bucks for 10 feet. Im let you know how it looks.
ebay.com link: itm

That is not static cling, that one has adhesive.

#22 11 years ago

I know. I dont trust static. Not for shooter lanes and kickout holes.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

is this from experience or just thinking it would not be good?

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

It provides the same protection covers and protects the clear coat. What I don't trust is a product that can pull up paint and inserts if you have to remove it like the old heavy adhesive mylar.

#25 11 years ago

Anyone try clear masking film for airbrushing. It's has low tack adhesive and is super thin. They sell sheets of it at Michaels.

4 weeks later
#26 11 years ago

Digging this up again.. I think I found what Mikey1 was talking about and wondering about it as well..

http://www.dickblick.com/products/badger-gloss-fotofrisket-film/

"This 2 mil vinyl film has a specially formulated adhesive that neither lifts the surface nor strips off work already completed. Film is transparent, low tack, and easy to lift."

So, it's not the static stuff.. but? People think this is maybe what the stealth mylar pinball pal was selling that turned out not to be so "removable" given enough time?

Was ready to by the 2x3' sheet of the team plastics stuff from amazon then realized shipping was $12 on a $10 item.. lame.

#27 11 years ago

Please give us a review when you guys get your product. They sure don't give a lot of information about thickness etc do they? I'd love to put something less sticky than mylar in all of my shooter lanes.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Was ready to by the 2x3' sheet of the team plastics stuff from amazon then realized shipping was $12 on a $10 item.

Go here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000BPQI0U/ref=dp_olp_new/184-0333828-0205436

It's about $12 total, including shipping.

My spin on this is, if you have to repaint (when you remove Mylar), the $12 is going to seem like a real bargain.

Robert

#29 11 years ago

what about the black vinyl that williams/bally used for covering the side rails? any ideas on where to source that?

edit:
nevermind. found it on ebay as well
ebay.com link: 1 Roll 24 X 10 Black Matte Arlon 5000 Sign Cutting Vinyl

ebay.com link: 1 Roll 24 X 10 Black Matte 3M ScotchCal Graphic Sign Cutting Vinyl

#30 11 years ago

I got a vinyl cutter... If I can find a roll, I'll hook y'all up!

2 months later
#31 11 years ago

I placed an order at PinballPal as well for the stealth protectors, and it's been a month, nothing received, not responding to emails/calls. I had to open a dispute at Paypal. S----- company.

Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Go here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000BPQI0U/ref=dp_olp_new/184-0333828-0205436
It's about $12 total, including shipping.
My spin on this is, if you have to repaint (when you remove Mylar), the $12 is going to seem like a real bargain.
Robert

Has anyone tried this?

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : Edited Profanity.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

I placed an order at PinballPal as well for the stealth protectors, and it's been a month, nothing received, not responding to emails/calls. I had to open a dispute at Paypal. S----- company.Has anyone tried this?

The sole owner and operator of Pinball Pal has had some VERY serious health issues and is slowly recovering.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

I placed an order at PinballPal as well for the stealth protectors, and it's been a month, nothing received, not responding to emails/calls. I had to open a dispute at Paypal. S----- company.

Pinballpal guy was hospitallized and not doing good last I heard, but he's a good guy, never had trouble before his health kicked his ass, we are all hoping for a recovery, but after this long it seems grim. I wish someone could update his site for him tho, so people quit ordering and getting pissed.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Has anyone tried this?

You mean, has this question been asked a million times in the last few months? Yes. He had a massive stroke.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

You mean, has this question been asked a million times in the last few months? Yes. He had a massive stroke.

Well, I'm sorry to hear about his health issues. That does truly suck. But how is one supposed to know this, when his site is up with no mention of anything. I guess I was expected to come on here, and search the forum to find an answer about why he doesn't respond? Gimmie a break.

Anyway, my question wasn't about PinballPal, it was about the product that someone else posted in this thread. You don't need to be a dick about it.

#36 11 years ago

Yes I was very happy with how it lays on the playfield and is very similar to the stuff Pinball Pal used.

Nice, thanks a lot. I'll give it a shot.

How thick is it? Does it effect ball movement at all?

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Nice, thanks a lot. I'll give it a shot.
How thick is it? Does it effect ball movement at all?

That stuff is the thinnest that I have found and while it lies above the playfield it is not by much at all. It doesn't have much effect on the ball IMO. It is so thin and sticks though so it makes it tougher to remove than some other non adhesive static cling vinyl.

#38 11 years ago

That stuff is the thinnest that I have found and while it lies above the playfield it is not by much at all. It doesn't have much effect on the ball IMO. Great to cut a custom strip for shooter lanes.

Great, thanks again. Going to order some now.

#39 11 years ago

Since there are many new people to the hobby, I would like to usher in some caution with any Mylar/vinyl type product. If you use the stuff on a playfield, be careful if you choose to remove it. Insert damage and other bad stuff can happen. Here is a nice post to read as it is educational on these types of protectors.

https://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/8828e93db2d239c7/d327f088db87d84c?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=pinball+pal+mylar+pulling+up#

#40 11 years ago

This stuff does not have the type of adhesive you are referring to jimjim. I never put old style highly adhesive mylar on my pins. I have used similar stuff pinball pal and static cling vinyl on my playfields for a long time the material is easy to take off and apply.

#41 11 years ago

I have to retract some of the statement I made regarding the Friskit film gloss. It is so thin that even the light adhesive to make it a tough to take off. And I agree with JimJim you should always be careful with adhesive material on inserts if you plan to be removing it. That is sound advice for sure. If it has adhesive make sure it is very light and don't use on lifting or bubling inserts.

The best thing if you want to make sure it is easy to remove would be to use would be super thin static cling vinyl. That is what I have used with good results for protection and being easy to remove. It may be a little thicker than the Friskit film but not by much.

#42 11 years ago

Has anyone used traditional methods for Mylar removal (e.g., a little heat, or freeze spray) to remove vinyl?

I have several machines with PinballPal vinyl in them. I don't plan on removing it (as its working great) but if I do I certainly plan on taking some simple safety measures and working slow.

Some of the damage pics I've seen make it looked like guys ripped it off quickly. Oh and one step I took was to always lay down carnauba wax before the vinyl. I can't imagine it's got that strong of a hold with that in mind.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Has anyone used traditional methods for Mylar removal (e.g., a little heat, or freeze spray) to remove vinyl?
I have several machines with PinballPal vinyl in them. I don't plan on removing it (as its working great) but if I do I certainly plan on taking some simple safety measures and working slow.
Some of the damage pics I've seen make it looked like guys ripped it off quickly. Oh and one step I took was to always lay down carnauba wax before the vinyl. I can't imagine it's got that strong of a hold with that in mind.

Rarehero had the stealth protectors from pinball pal remove some of his insert on his NGG. However, the insert already had some damage prior to installing the vinyl so that might have contributed to it. I have stealth protectors on a lot of my games and figured when the time comes I would try to use freeze spray or heat method just to be safe. My only concern with using freeze spray is the vinyl might just crack and come off in small pieces since it's not heavy duty like mylar, so I am thinking a little heat to loosen up the adhesive might be the way to go.

#44 11 years ago

oh no, pinball pal gone? shoot!!! was just going to order from there too. damn.

1 month later
#45 11 years ago

Hey Hank527. I was just going to order some Stealth Protectors, but came across your post on an alternative. Which link below is the better to purchase that won't lift any artwork without any adhesive backing. Thanks for your help.

This is the stuff. Works great and now I have a ton of it
http://www.dickblick.com/products/badger-gloss-fotofrisket-film/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

16,500 (Firm)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-vinyl-protector-sheets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.