(Topic ID: 59787)

Pinball Veterans Tips for dealing with Wives

By Jared

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images.jpg
    Wife_pic.jpg
    Balance.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 10 years ago

My rule is just to not give her a reason to hate the hobby. I have a lot of hobbies and side interests, and my wife views them all with the "if it makes you happy, it makes me happy" mindset.

As long as I don't start setting machines up in the living room or spending our car payments on pinball, she is cool with whatever.

In return, I try to be cool about her interests. If there is a bag or something she is coveting, it's no different than me drooling over an AC/DC.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

But a $7,000 machine VS a $400 bag is hardly fair for her, no?

We don't look at it as "tit for tat".

Quoted from Jared:

Each NIB pinball is like buying a new turbo Jet-Ski. Maybe I life in the wrong neighborhood, but when I go into someones house and they have 8-12+ Turbo Jet-Skis lined up in a row in a room I would be shocked... lol.

I agree, but I also don't have 8-12 NIB machines. I have a F-14 I poured a thousand hours into to restore, and a NASCAR I saved for a year to buy. Buying a coach bag and wallet is a spend for us as a family, just like buying a pinball machine would be.

I would never just show up with a $500+ pin if she wasn't expecting it to show. I respect her enough to keep her in the loop where our money is concerned, even though I am the single income for us. She is a stay at home mom, but I wouldn't trade with her for all the tea in china.

#12 10 years ago

If she is organized and loves a budget, maybe you could appeal to that.

Work with her to come up a plan that puts a set amount of money aside every month as "fun" money for pinball. Then, it's up to you to save that money up for a machine, or spend it on parts, etc....

She can rest easy knowing you aren't going to screw up all her hard budgeting work, and you can get to spend your "fun" money, no questions asked.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-veterans-tips-for-dealing-with-wifes?tu=wolfmarsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.