(Topic ID: 59787)

Pinball Veterans Tips for dealing with Wives

By Jared

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images.jpg
    Wife_pic.jpg
    Balance.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nexyss.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 10 years ago

I am not married, but my girlfriend and I have lived together for the last 6 years. We each pay half of the bills, but otherwise, our money is separate. This is mandatory for me and will remain the same after getting married. I see joint accounts working for one income couples, but if both are working, I can't see any reason to not keep the bank accounts separate. I buy pinball machines, and she also has no problem spending her money on stuff she likes.

We also separated areas of the house. I have full control of what happens to the garage and one bedroom that I use as an office. She can do whatever she wants to the rest of the house. She doesn't ask permission, nor do I. Of course we usually discuss purchases, but it is not trying to justify or get permission. This has worked well for us. She tries to put stuff in the garage once in a while, and a couple times a year I have to reiterate that our garage is not for cars, but it doesn't really cause problems. She tries to gain a little control in those areas, and I deny it. I don't really try to add anything to the other areas because, honestly, I just don't care to...and I like that each of us has freedom to do what we want.

I know a lot of people think this is weird. My friends just can't grasp how I "am allowed" to use the garage for a gameroom. I can't grasp how they ask someone, who is supposed to be their equal, for permission to do something. I don't think I could survive in what most people think is a normal marriage.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nexyss.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-veterans-tips-for-dealing-with-wifes?tu=nexyss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.