(Topic ID: 59787)

Pinball Veterans Tips for dealing with Wives

By Jared

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images.jpg
    Wife_pic.jpg
    Balance.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jared.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

And now we shall discuss the most important topic in all of pinball. More important than Stern speculations, holographic backboards, Hobbit LE production or the newest pins on the drawing board in England...

Pinball Wives.

Some of us are very lucky, and have happy, accommodating, and totally complacent wives who let us do whatever we want in pinball. And for the rest of us here in reality, lol, dealing with your hobby and your marriage can in fact be something of a big deal.

For those of us who came into the hobby AFTER marriage, where the interest had not yet been established, a wife could find it quite shocking that you all of the sudden want to collect vintage boxes of wood, plastic and glass that cost thousands of dollars and take pictures of them for the internet. In fact, your wife may just have a huge problem with that...

If you have the good luck to make so much money that she does not care, then good on you. But I think even those of us making 6 figures have to juggle a pinball budget around with our wife and what she will tolerate.

And no, I dont personally think its as easy as saying "If your wife is a good wife, then she will 100% support your hobby". LOL. Thats something a single guy would say...

SO HUSBANDS (Or wife's if this applies in reverse), what strategy or advice can you share with the community to make a dedicated pinball obsession work within a dedicated marriage, with a wife who quite possibly is 100% uninterested in pinball or games of any sort?

Pinball Veterans Tips for dealing with Wives. Share your knowledge.

Post edited by blondetall : Edited "wife's" to "wives" because it was driving me insane. -Blondetall (Pinball wife)

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

If there is a bag or something she is coveting, it's no different than me drooling over an AC/DC.

But a $7,000 machine VS a $400 bag is hardly fair for her, no?

Each NIB pinball is like buying a new turbo Jet-Ski. Maybe I life in the wrong neighborhood, but when I go into someones house and they have 8-12+ Turbo Jet-Skis lined up in a row in a room I would be shocked... lol.

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

My rule is just to not give her a reason to hate the hobby. I have a lot of hobbies and side interests, and my wife views them all with the "if it makes you happy, it makes me happy" mindset.

I like that a lot. Sounds like a keeper for sure. Then again, they should all be keepers... which is why any of us got married to begin with..

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

We don't look at it as "tit for tat".

I agree, but I also don't have 8-12 NIB machines. I have a F-14 I poured a thousand hours into to restore, and a Nascar I saved for a year to buy. Buying a coach bag and wallet is a spend for us as a family, just like buying a pinball machine would be.
    I would never just show up with a $500+ pin if she wasn't expecting it to show. I respect her enough to keep her in the loop where our money is concerned, even though I am the single income for us. She is a stay at home mom, but I wouldn't trade with her for all the tea in china.

Great advice.

I think personally I misstepped by purchasing my own pin without asking her at all. She was very upset that I just took $1200 out of the account without even a discussion (and rightfully so).

I have money to buy more machines, but she is determined to build up a large savings, pay off 100% of any interest accruing debt ahead of schedule, and live on a budget... even though we dont really need to. Basically... she is very responsible and organized... and it makes it tough for a guy like me who loves shiny objects... and even has the money to buy them... to not be "allowed" to do so. I dont want pinball to damage my marriage in any way...

Which is why I am seeking a thread with tips from veterans.

Hopefully I am not the only one who might benefit from this thread.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Husband loves electronics and likes pinball. He has a list of things he wants to buy this year, such as the latest iPad, XBoxOne, PS4, etc. I have a list of pinball machines that I'd like to own if the opportunity came up. Both lists are expensive, but pinballs cost more. The difference to me is that as long as I don't spend crazy money on the pins, there's virtually no way that I could lose tons of money with them. We've got 6 pins sitting downstairs, but to me it is almost like a savings account that I can play with. I'm not saying pins are a valid investment, but with the teeny tiny interest rates that savings accounts pay these days, I'd rather get a pinball machine, play it, and eventually sell it for a gain/small loss if need be than have money sitting in the bank. Husband understands this. Bills and 401K come first, then extra money after the household budget costs can be spent on other things we'd like.

Great way to look at it.

I think I might have to let a few go to prove this to my wife, which will put her at ease. If crap ever "really" hits the fan, we can always cash out of pinball and have that money back (or so I theorize). Thats actually kind of a assurance.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

Ok, here is what has worked for us over the years. Your mileage may vary.
    Now I will say it's been an educational experience for me over the years.
    I can remember vividly at our beginnings and even the first pinball "blow up" with my wife.
    We were newlyweds, it was almost 15 years ago, at the time I only had 1 pinball a DE Simpsons Pinball. We went out for Valentines and over dinner I brought up in conversation that I wanted another pinball....a Black Hole I had called on from an ad in the Thrifty Nickel up in Oklahoma. She about flipped! "You want ANOTHER ONE!"
    Over the years it has gotten better. Not to say that we haven't had several arguments over my hobby over the years. Some I've won, some I've lost. But through it all we still love each other and as much as she sometimes may think pinball is more important than her, she's wrong. She is #1.
    One thing that we've done to keep things in line with my pinball obsession. Is that many years ago I opened my own checking account. This account I use for all of my pinball fun money. It is completely separate from either of our pay checks and it in no way is supplemented by our incomes. It is the account I use for my parts and machine buying, game selling etc. Pretty much if the money isn't in this account...then I can't buy it. We had problems years ago where although I would write a big check to Pinball Resource for $200 out of the main account she was freaking out, "you spent $200 on pinball parts!"While a day or two later I would reimburse what was taken out from selling a game, doing a repair, etc. Now this isn't an issue anymore as I only buy parts from the funds I have segregated into my pinball account. She really doesn't know what I spend on pinball parts now a days as it's coming from my own pinball checking account. It's no secret though, she's welcome to look at it. I just keep it separate from our main checking account to avoid confusion.
    Jared don't worry your not alone. My wife is like yours and many others and doesn't really care about pinball. She refers to herself jokingly when I'm cranking games out for customers, the aution or the Texas Pinball Festival as my Pinball Widow. I ask of her patience during these times, and many times I try to reward her with something for putting up with the crunch time. Example being I cranked 4 games out for repairs to customers as well as a few I sold at the last auction. I was burning the midnight oil a couple of weeks ago trying to get these games ready. She was getting frazzled that I was spending so much time on the games. In the end I've made it up to her, as some of you know she is a kindergarten teacher and I made it up to her buy giving her $200 toward buying herself some new clothes for this school year. We're also going school clothes shopping for the boys this weekend, I'll help out with this pinball money too.
    She's supportive of the fact that I have a hobby I enjoy, but she doesn't care for it as she isn't much of a player. I think she has played our AC/DC Pinball 3 times and I've had it for several months now. In the same regards, she loves scrapbooking........I could care less about them. But she enjoys making them and I'm supportive of her hobby and I like looking in her books she has made of our boys.
    All in all, I think the best advice I could give is try to be balanced with it. As much as I love tinkering with my machines, I try to balance family time too. Which at sometimes is hard (as stated above getting games ready for the TPF). Also don't hide anything, be open about what your buying and why. This part may be easier for me as I've made a lucrative side business of buying, selling and restoring games for customers over the years. Without the selling and repairing of games I do for customers, my hobby couldn't exist as it's all self sufficient.
    Thats my .02. Hope it helps.
    Happily married to a Pinball Widow of 15 years now

Amazing post, thank you. My wife is also a Kindergarten teacher. Moving to 1st grade this year. Her 5th year.

#57 10 years ago

Fantastic advice from some true veterans in here, thank you. Veterans of both pinball and of marriage. Great advice for a new pinball hobbyist and a newlywed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jared.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-veterans-tips-for-dealing-with-wifes?tu=jared and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.