2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by dmarston
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Personally interested?”

• Yes 0 votes
    • Don’t care 1 vote
      50%
    • Don’t think it will work 1 vote
      50%
    • Send me the program & specs 0 votes

(2 votes)

#1 2 years ago

I thought about it for a few days & came up with an idea. Why not have a pinball machine dispense coins back when you beat the high score? I’m not running this one in a public environment, so why not?

So I sat down & wrote a program that interprets the pulse for the knocker & the signal for the game over light. When both have signal input into my external Raspberry Pi board at the same time. It runs a program to activate a relay & close a circuit to a coin vending unit for X seconds & then opens the circuit to the vending unit.

I’m about 75% of the way through the project before testing & so far it’s looking pretty good.

Just need to time the vending motor so I can control how many coins it pumps out & finish writing the program. Then double check safety components so any potential back flow of power will not go into the pin. Then, off to testing.

Has anyone else tried this?

#2 2 years ago

Williams did with Safecracker.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

Williams did with Safecracker.

That’s pretty sweet. I didn’t know that game had that feature. I’ll have to look it up & see how they accomplished it. Interesting!

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Green5:

I thought about it for a few days & came up with an idea. Why not have a pinball machine dispense coins back when you beat the high score? I’m not running this one in a public environment, so why not?
    So I sat down & wrote a program that interprets the pulse for the knocker & the signal for the game over light. When both have signal input into my external Raspberry Pi board at the same time. It runs a program to activate a relay & close a circuit to a coin vending unit for X seconds & then opens the circuit to the vending unit.
    I’m about 75% of the way through the project before testing & so far it’s looking pretty good.
    Just need to time the vending motor so I can control how many coins it pumps out & finish writing the program. Then double check safety components so any potential back flow of power will not go into the pin. Then, off to testing.
    Has anyone else tried this?

This is the origin of pinball. They used to pay out coins and that’s gambling
    The Gambling/gaming commission is gonna be knocking on your door soon if you’re not careful!! Many states BAN this kind of machine even for personal use so be careful.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Green5:

Why not have a pinball machine dispense coins back when you beat the high score?

Williams DMD era games and other manufacturer games like Capcom have software already.

All you need is a ticket/coin dispenser hooked to the game.

LTG : )

#6 2 years ago

Coin dispensers can be found in the vending world. Suzo-Happ is likely to be a good source. As others have said, look for ticket dispensing options in the game settings; if there are some, you're halfway done.

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

They used to pay out coins and that’s gambling

Connecticut was traditionally known as one of the worst states to be a slot machine collector. Unlike most states, there is (was?) no criterion that if a game is older than N years, it is an antique that you can have in your home. BTW, tokens vs. legal tender coins won't matter; transferable value is the issue.
    .................David Marston

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-vending-coins-for-high-score and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.