(Topic ID: 76866)

Pinball turned into art-what are your thoughts?

By pinmister

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by smokey_789
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0716.JPG
    IMG_0713.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    Pinball-Furniture.jpg
    PB Coffee.jpg
    photo-418.JPG
    lb 005.JPG
    004.JPG
    box 009.JPG
    F-14 001.JPG
    pinlightproject 001.JPG
    pinlightboxproject1 021.JPG
    pinlightboxproject1 002.JPG
    Pinball into wall art.jpg
    Pinball into coffee table.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Gary Stern actually commented on this topic recently. Stating that some of the older machines are becoming museum pieces and are being turned into retro-art. Will the price of an older machine or part of the machine become more valuable as an art piece or a coffee table than if it were left alone? Is it sacrilegious? I looked at this picture of Hulk coffee table and it looks like it may have had some life left in it? I have seen some pins turned into tables before, but I actually dig the Hulk table with legs chopped. I use extra translights for additional art pieces on my walls. I guess I like anything pinball related and I love art, so as long as the machine has reached its useful life-it is cool with me. What are your thoughts and have you turned anything pinball into art?

kansascity.craigslist.org link

Pinball into coffee table.jpgPinball into coffee table.jpg
    Pinball into wall art.jpgPinball into wall art.jpg

#2 10 years ago

If someone owns a machine or a part of a machine, and they want to turn it into a piece of art that is their business. I have some machines that I will NEVER sell. That is one less example of that game that would be available to the rest of the world. If I wanted to turn one of those machines into a coffee table it would not matter because no one else would have a chance to own it anyway. I do not think it should be thought of as sacrilegious. I have seen everything under the sun turned into something else. When some people cringe at this form of art, others see it for the imagination and creativity that can define us as a species.

#3 10 years ago

nice topic- btw

and its a question that each person need to answer for them self....

imo- i really, really try to keep fully functional- but sometimes "projects found are missing so many parts its not practal to make them whole again.

example, found a couple heads some guy was gonna sell for scrap on craigslist----

so some pinball realated "wall art" is better than nothing- i am going the direction as your second pic - i kinda like heads with glass on the wall for decore, and i even find if there less than perfect itmakes them more interesting- as pin art
    jmo

#4 10 years ago

I think many of them are functional art. They may not have been designed that way, but I'm sure the artists that worked on them, have pride in their work.

#5 10 years ago

light box pics

pinlightboxproject1 002.JPGpinlightboxproject1 002.JPG pinlightboxproject1 021.JPGpinlightboxproject1 021.JPG pinlightproject 001.JPGpinlightproject 001.JPG
    #6 10 years ago

I love the light box ideas, not so much on the coffee table but I'm all for it!

#7 10 years ago

Solid oak boxes that I built for old translites

F-14 001.JPGF-14 001.JPG box 009.JPGbox 009.JPG 004.JPG004.JPG lb 005.JPGlb 005.JPG
    #8 10 years ago

For the record, the Williams Blue Chip does not have the proper score reel font. I love that backglass and it is nice to see it displayed with a cut down backbox.

Anyone here familiar with the Sloss Furnaces in Birmingham or Bethlehem Steel in Bethlehem, PA? One of the bg scenes reminds me of those no longer operating facilities.

#9 10 years ago

You can't play art. The thing that bothers me about good parts used as art is I feel bad for that someone somewhere out there who could possibly use that piece to fix a game.

#10 10 years ago

For me, complete machines are art and I buy them as art in the same way that I buy paintings as art. I don't just mean the translites or the playfields - I think they're wonderful objects overall. Maybe someday they will end up in "real" museums to be admired. I do think of them foremost as art - the fact that they're functional just makes them even more desirable. Truly the definition of kinetic art.

I think it's OK to chop them up and make them into other things, but really only if they're unsalvageable as full machines. Translites and backglasses are great to display on walls.

#11 10 years ago

There's a lot of art in pinball machines already. I would say that they can stand as an art form all on their own. This is reminiscent of the debate as to whether video games can be considered a form of art. Roger Ebert said no. Many others say yes. And anyone who has played Braid or other games would agree that there is much art in the gaming world. Same too with pins.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I love the light box ideas, not so much on the coffee table but I'm all for it!

ya- i keep wantting to play the coffie table ones- and it seems they seldom work-

#13 10 years ago

I'm all for everyone doing what they want to anything they own. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and if someone thinks a lighted backbox looks terrific on a wall, then bully for them. I may not agree that it looks nice, but that's fine too.

As far as how the pinball machine table looks? While I love the concept, it doesn't seem to look as cool as the the concept. I think the playfields built in an actual table looks much better.

I do have a few of my old custom made mylar arcade machines hanging on an office wall, but only because what else was I going to do with them? Also saved MAME arcade sideart that I removed from an empty cabinet I bought and adhered it to the side of a bookcase in the office.

photo-418.JPGphoto-418.JPG

#14 10 years ago

Some more furniture...It actually looks pretty cool.

PB Coffee.jpgPB Coffee.jpg Pinball-Furniture.jpgPinball-Furniture.jpg
    #15 10 years ago

Here's what I did:IMG_0787.JPGIMG_0787.JPG

#16 10 years ago

^^^^That is cool. Looks like stained glass-nice effect.

#17 10 years ago

Thnaks! Got a sample set of colored plexi and went to town. LOTS of openings to cover! Had merely slivers of leftovers. Boxed it in and used self-stick Sylvania LED kit on the inside perimeter. More pics:IMG_0713.JPGIMG_0713.JPGIMG_0716.JPGIMG_0716.JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-turned-into-art-what-are-your-thoughts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.