(Topic ID: 1103)

Pinball Travesty

By drbond

14 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tmnt-les-tortues-ninja.jpg
    #1 14 years ago

I don't know if I was insulted when operators were asking me for a $10 dollar entry fee, but I had one heck of a laugh yesterday.

I'm sure other pinsiders have other interesting stories of pinball train-wrecks on route/location.

While I went to drop my dad off at the eye doctor, I hit up the nearby Golfland (miniature golf establishment) to play a game of Junkyard. These jokers raised the price to dollar play, but I love pinball, and I wanted to do my part to keep the pinball money flowing in the arcade.

Golfland yesterday was doing a promotion where arcade-goers pay a $10 dollar fee to play without limit. I quickly passed by watching participants of the promo play the pins, before taking the $10 dollar dip. My god. Games are still in inexcusable shape. Glad to see my daily complaints are going unnoticed! They should pay me $10 to play the following train-wrecks.

Junkyard (Williams). Translite backbox lights and GI aren't working. Constantly playing in the dark (arcade go-er was asking me which game this was...not a good thing). Wrecking ball magnet doesn't work. Limp left flipper makes the video mode almost impossible to get (which is basically Junkyard, in a nutshell). Good luck scoring anything on this mess. Tilt wasn't set up right either, and table wasn't leveled right. The game seemed to drag on forever.

The Simpsons Pinball Party (Stern). Slingshots barely function. Ball is not "wild" in this slow bore. Upper-right flipper does not work at all, making game basically unplayable IMO. Wouldn't make a difference if flipper works, since mini-playfield mini-flippers look like a tiny Gnome in metal shoes was using them as trampolines (totally scratched up with almost no rubber left). People were leaving this game during play. Sigh.

Monopoly (Stern). Flippers weren't getting enough power. Not going to help when this game is ramp/orbit heavy. Unplayable mess. Nuff' said.

Pirates of the Carribean (Stern). Seemed to work ok. Playfield was really dirty. Ball was moving waaaaaaay too slow. I've played clean HUO Pirates games, and the game is pretty darn fast. Still...a better condition Pirates compared to the other Golfland Pirates where the ship ball lock wasn't working (machine was constantly checking for missing balls).

#2 14 years ago

That's the sad side of pinball .. the people and places who don't maintain them and don't care about them.

Then if you make an offer they want a super outrageous price (thanks Discovery Channel and Pawnstars for faking things). At least those here and the guy who owns the museum in Las Vegas has the integrity and balls to stand up to that kind of hype no matter what money is offered.

#3 14 years ago

Yeah, all the machines on location here are beat up. They are all for sale but he is asking for the high side of what Pinside says is the average value or more. Even has this sight on a link, which is cool I guess. Problem is, they are not in above average shape.

#4 14 years ago

I was at a show last fall and after paying the admission price noticed a few pins were not set for free play although the majority were, I guess that just goes to show you how hungry some people are

#5 14 years ago

Autumnfade, would this pool/category of people include those that bring their machines to pinball shows that clearly don't even work to begin with. I ran into a few of these at California Extreme. I assume these type of people expect for pinheads putting the show together to fix their machines for free (or do it out of love, on their own free time). Sigh.

#6 14 years ago

we have 2 different companies here in town that put a few machines on route.

vendor A has all newer stern machines and will fix a broke machine usually the same day if we email them. they are true pinball lovers.

vendor B has mostly early 90s machines that are really sad to see on route. rubbers are dead and about to fall off, playfields are dirty, and thing are visibly missing from the game?! I have emailed the owners of the locations about the machines and they say the calls for service fall on deaf ears. Not sure why they even deal with pinball, since they need a little more work than a video game.
    therefore I refuse to put money into any type of arcade machine they have, pool, darts, golden tee....

#7 14 years ago

Was the magnet part of production JYs? I thought that was dropped to save money.

Sounds like most of the issues you ran into were bad flippers.

Honestly, I don't blame locations for not fixing their games, the economics simply aren't there. You can teach any teenager to swap a joystick and buttons in a cab, which is 90% of the problems that occur on a video game. For a pin, you need a pretty highly trained person to do a lot of the work and troubleshooting.

#8 14 years ago

@drbond :
    In fact , that a Good news .
    As long these machines will stay in bad condition, they won't be desired . And just available for you and me (i think collectors ..).We can't fix all the pins of the world

Or an idea if you agreed to manage ...
    How about to create a "Pinside Team " ? (fixing nightly..)

#9 14 years ago

You know I never thought about that -
    someone bringing a broke game so others can gather around and fix it for them for free.
    Oh man I hope thats not true

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-travesty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.