New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 253771)

Pinball Transaction Stories -- Share Your Adventures and Pics.

By TractorDoc

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by ultimategameroom
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FB_IMG_1571446542139 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1571446426260 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1571446430029 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1571446433527 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1571446733535 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1571446471427 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1571446629007 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1571446635246 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1571446656885 (resized).jpg
    KIMG0393 (resized).JPG
    KIMG0392 (resized).JPG
    5J5A2390 (resized).JPG
    5J5A2407 (resized).JPG
    5J5A2386 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

Buying and Selling Pins has provided me with some memorable moments over the years. I've met some nice people and pulled some games out of interesting places. . . not enough to write a book (yet) but definitely have a few good chapters.

Games are usually located in people's houses, which makes the interaction a bit more personal. Nothing like having a complete stranger walk thru your house to check out your expensive toys. Most people I've dealt with though have been great and very welcoming/respectful. I've also met people in parking lots, at shows, and have visited the occasional storage locker in the middle of the night.

If you have any fun, scary, tense, or just otherwise entertaining stories about a pin purchase or sale share them here. . . pictures too if you have them!

#2 1 year ago

I'll start.

Yesterday I received a call about a Flash Gordon.
    I've already owned two, so it was not high on my pursuit list but the history of the game had me curious. The seller stated he had owned it for the last 25 years and claimed a friend of his had owned it for a long time prior to that. From what he could remember the game was in very nice overall condition. I asked him to send me a picture of it but he replied that it was buried behind a bunch of stuff over the years and could not get to it. I was getting more curious.

We talk some more and I find out he lives about five minutes from the in-laws. The drive was not too far away so I made plans to drive down today to look at the game. When I arrived at the address he gave me I was not sure if I was in the correct spot. . . it looked more like a flea market vs. someone's house. It turns out I was at the right address and the owner was just finishing up a sale of some truck parts with another customer.

The seller turned out to be a very nice guy that lived a very primitive lifestyle. We walked into his "house" and I was greeted with shoulder high stacks of stuff on both sides of me. He had been working on clearing a path to get to the pinball machine. . . when we arrived at its location this is what it looked like.

KIMG0392 (resized).JPG

This was after he had cleared a large amount of stuff. For the next thirty minutes or so we worked on clearing the rest to get a better look at the game. He said he had never played it. . . the accumulation of dust (and stuff) did not leave any reason for doubt.

KIMG0393 (resized).JPG

I pulled the playfield glass, backglass, and examined the cabinet interior and boards. The game had potential, so we agreed on a price and in no time I had it disassembled, loaded up, and was driving home. I unloaded the game into the shop:

5J5A2386 (resized).JPG

Before heading home I pulled the glass to better examine the playfield. A quick wipe down revealed most everything was covered in mylar and not much wear was present.

5J5A2390 (resized).JPG

The backglass cleaned up well too. No flaking or scratches to the backside.

5J5A2407 (resized).JPG

Not sure I'd call it a diamond in the rough and I'm not sure what my next step with the game will be. . . but I couldn't leave it to get buried in stuff for another 25 years. After dropping the game off I headed home and made a beeline for the shower. I still had cobwebs, dust, etc. on my clothes and hair. The seller stated that he did not have a bathroom -- he used a hose for the shower and had a bucket for a toilet. No kidding. Very nice guy, just a different way of living.

#3 1 year ago

Oh boy do I have stories. I'll be right back with pictures.

#4 1 year ago

I had an old pinball friend who had moved about 5 years prior. As I pull up at this house I was positive that I recognized it. I walked into the basement and I was convinced that I recognized it. I asked the seller how he got the game and he said it came with the house. Turns out it was my friends game that was left behind as the piece to get both sides together on the price of the house.

FB_IMG_1571446656885 (resized).jpg
    #5 1 year ago

I once dropped a space shuttle on my foot and broke it. 2 days later I get a call and a friend has found three system 11 games sitting in a bowling alley that is slated to get demolished in under a week. No way I could let it happen. I ended up going and moving these pinball machines with a broken foot.

FB_IMG_1571446629007 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1571446635246 (resized).jpg
    #7 1 year ago

I went to buy three games out of a old closed antique shop. I met the guy there and he seemed normal enough. It ended up going way down hill. His boss showed up along with three other very large guys. I walk into this antique shop that has boarded up Windows and doors. It looks like one end of it was on fire at some point. As we walk in I can see I don't have many ways out.

we had agreed on a price of $800 for three pinball machines. The guy then says to me that my exit price is $1,000. Multiple problems, the games aren't worth even five hundred bucks. One of the games had serious water damage. The others were in really poor cosmetic shape.

the guy keeps throwing little trinkets and other garbage at me in the hopes that I am interested in it. I keep telling him that I don't have $1,000 and I'm not interested in what he's giving me. He then unearths a couple arcade games. I told him that I would take the to arcade games and the pinball machines for $800. He can tell he's not getting anywhere with me so he takes it. At that point everyone leaves me to my own devices. To this day I'm still convinced that they didn't own the games, they just broke in and sold them to me.

One heck of a sketchy ride home.

FB_IMG_1571446471427 (resized).jpg
    #8 1 year ago

I bought a gladiators out of the back of a exercise equipment store. The delivery guys were giving the machine as a tip. I was attempting to drill out the lock as there was no key. The drill kicked on me and shattered the back glass. When I got the game home I was pissed because I found the key.

FB_IMG_1571446733535 (resized).jpg
    #9 1 year ago

I bought two games out of a 11000 square foot house. The games were set up in slave quarters in the basement. To get them out they had to go up a set of stairs that had two 90 degree turns, and they were so skinny that there was not even enough room for the flipper buttons on Batman forever. The house was unbelievable. It was haunted and it had a full stage. there was a boiler room that was below the basement. That in and of itself was unbelievably impressive.

FB_IMG_1571446426260 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1571446430029 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1571446433527 (resized).jpg
    #10 1 year ago

I showed up one place to buy a game, I was convinced I was in the wrong spot. I called the seller, and she walked out the front doors of the funeral home that I had showed up at. She then walked me around back and rolled out the body of the pinball machine to me..... On a casket cart.

FB_IMG_1571446542139 (resized).jpg
    #11 1 year ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

he used a hose for the shower and had a bucket for a toilet. No kidding. Very nice guy, just a different way of living.

#12 1 year ago

Have a few good ones but will have to chime back in tomorrow.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I'll start.
    Yesterday I received a call about a Flash Gordon.
    I've already owned two, so it was not high on my pursuit list but the history of the game had me curious. The seller stated he had owned it for the last 25 years and claimed a friend of his had owned it for a long time prior to that. From what he could remember the game was in very nice overall condition. I asked him to send me a picture of it but he replied that it was buried behind a bunch of stuff over the years and could not get to it. I was getting more curious.
    We talk some more and I find out he lives about five minutes from the in-laws. The drive was not too far away so I made plans to drive down today to look at the game. When I arrived at the address he gave me I was not sure if I was in the correct spot. . . it looked more like a flea market vs. someone's house. It turns out I was at the right address and the owner was just finishing up a sale of some truck parts with another customer.
    The seller turned out to be a very nice guy that lived a very primitive lifestyle. We walked into his "house" and I was greeted with shoulder high stacks of stuff on both sides of me. He had been working on clearing a path to get to the pinball machine. . . when we arrived at its location this is what it looked like.
    [quoted image]
    This was after he had cleared a large amount of stuff. For the next thirty minutes or so we worked on clearing the rest to get a better look at the game. He said he had never played it. . . the accumulation of dust (and stuff) did not leave any reason for doubt.
    [quoted image]
    I pulled the playfield glass, backglass, and examined the cabinet interior and boards. The game had potential, so we agreed on a price and in no time I had it disassembled, loaded up, and was driving home. I unloaded the game into the shop:
    [quoted image]
    Before heading home I pulled the glass to better examine the playfield. A quick wipe down revealed most everything was covered in mylar and not much wear was present.
    [quoted image]
    The backglass cleaned up well too. No flaking or scratches to the backside.
    [quoted image]
    Not sure I'd call it a diamond in the rough and I'm not sure what my next step with the game will be. . . but I couldn't leave it to get buried in stuff for another 25 years. After dropping the game off I headed home and made a beeline for the shower. I still had cobwebs, dust, etc. on my clothes and hair. The seller stated that he did not have a bathroom -- he used a hose for the shower and had a bucket for a toilet. No kidding. Very nice guy, just a different way of living.

I think this should be upvoted for your

1) great retelling of the situation (short though compelling story!) and your

2) NON-JUDGMENTAL appraisal of the house and the seller. Yes of course it’s a pretty unusual choice to use the hose for your shower - but you know, for a lot of folks (way more than we admit in the US) this isn’t a choice, it’s just how it is. A problematic majority of us can’t even fathom this concept.

it’s nice to read a great story like this with a positive outcome and not have to climb through the writer’s judgments and weird inner psychoses. Thank you!! I’ve been looking for a FG for a good friend’s wedding gift and this at least gives me some hope that one is out there!

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

it’s nice to read a great story like this with a positive outcome and not have to climb through the writer’s judgments and weird inner psychoses. Thank you!!

Oh, everyone has their. . . unique qualities.

I find talking on the phone can give a clue to a person's character. You never really know what you are getting into though. I'm sure some buyers have had some things to say after leaving my place. Its not my job to judge. If I had I might be without a good story. . . and a pinball machine with potential.

#15 1 year ago

This post should be the script for a film. It would be part comedy,drama, with a little rob Zombie terror mixed in to the recipe.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Oh, everyone has their. . . unique qualities.
    I find talking on the phone can give a clue to a person's character. You never really know what you are getting into though. I'm sure some buyers have had some things to say after leaving my place. Its not my job to judge. If I had I might be without a good story. . . and a pinball machine with potential.

Did it look like there was any type of heat source ?
    I see no drywall on the ceiling joists but it looks like there is a 8” round duct running to the left of the machine.
    Hopefully that’s a storage building or garage.
    Ohio gets cold in the winter!!!
    Living without indoor plumbing is one thing.
    Living in an uninsulated home/shelter is pretty extreme and only for the hardcore.

#17 1 year ago

25 years ago I got bit by the pinball /classic video game bug. I followed a leed to an old operator who had arcade machines for sale. When I got to the location I was led to the door of a large pole building. You could barely enter the door it was packed so tight with games. They were packed Tightly against each other with no walking path or space. The owner had a 6 ft stepladder at the door and said it’s way back in the corner. We will have to climb over the games to get to it but you need to be VERY Careful!! Ok.....so up and over/on top of the machines we go making our way to the machine I wanted to look at. There must have been 200-300 video games there. it was strange as hell at the time but very cool now that I think back on it. Unfortunately I don’t have pics.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 12.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 99.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 19.95
    $ 60.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Mods for your pinballs
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Other
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 149.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 36.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    bB Customs
    $ 219.00
    $ 265.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The Art of Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 244.99
    $ 7.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 89.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside