(Topic ID: 10276)

Pinball tournament rules/types? Explaination Thread.

By Av8

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by ryanwanger
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I want to have a local pinball tournament. Questions...

What are the basic rules styles? Playoffs? Number of games? Highest score or combination? Side bets?

What is and how do i start/end tournament mode on Stern lotr?

Game on.

#2 7 years ago

I prefer a golf format, personally.

1 year later
    #3 5 years ago

I did a pingolf tourney for some co-workers a couple months ago and they all had a blast. Now they want to come over and play again. I want to change it up from the last time to keep them on their toes. Had a few ideas, but wanted to see if there were more ideas out there to add. Would like to do a couple "rounds" on each game, so 8 different things.

So far I have this

One Ball Game Score Based

One Handed Game Score Based

Arms Crossed to opposite Flipper buttons (Will have to test to see if this is possible)

Tommy Game (each person would put a dollar bill on the glass and where they want). This would be the last of all the games...the winner would get the cash.

#4 5 years ago

https://papa.org/competitive/directors/

The PAPA website has some different tournament types listed.

#5 5 years ago

#6 5 years ago

anything but a Herb style tournament. I hate those.

#7 5 years ago

scott freeman (michigan) set up a "pin-bowling" style of tournament play which was pretty well received

10 games were played, each with a target score to reach. (each machine was associated with a specific bowling frame no.). if the target score was achieved on the 1st ball, the player received a strike. if the score was achieved with the 2nd ball, a spare was awarded. if the score was not reached, the player scored a '9'

for the game associated with frame 10, scoring was as such:
    - if the target score was achieved with the 1st ball, a strike was awarded, the machine reset and the player then attempted to reach the target score for a 2nd strike, and then reset once again to try for a 3rd strike. if the target score was reached with the (3rd) ball, a spare was awarded, otherwise a '9' scored.

- if the target score was achieved with the 2nd ball, a spare was awarded. the machine was then reset and play continued to reach the target score with the new (1st) ball. if reached, a strike was awarded, otherwise a '9' scored.

note:
    a variation on this (which is more complicated to calculate), but spreads the scoring out a lot more is to capture the scores for each ball played for each player and then dividing the score achieved for each ball by the target score and multiplied by 10, gives you the pin count for that ball.

eg. target score is: 3,500,000 points
    the player scores 1,750,100 points on their 1st ball, which is equivalent to 5 pins

the math:
    1,750,100/3,500,000 = 0.50
    this value is then multiplied by 10 and rounded to an integer value (which is 5)
    0.50 *10 = 5.00

they then score a total of 2,970,000 with the end of their 2nd ball, which is equivalent to an additional 3 pins

the math:
    2,970,000-1,750,000 = 1,220,000
    1,220,000 / 3,500,500 = 0.348
    0.34 * 0 = 3.4, which rounded to the nearest integer is 3.0

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

I want to have a local pinball tournament. Questions...
    What are the basic rules styles? Playoffs? Number of games? Highest score or combination? Side bets?
    What is and how do i start/end tournament mode on Stern lotr?
    Game on.

wow, the original posting is from a year ago.

I wonder if the OP had a tournament, and how it turned out?

Ninja Doug, Thanks for the link. That PAPA sites is a wealth of information, and a good start for anyone considering a tournament.

Quoted from ninjadoug:

https://papa.org/competitive/directors/
    The PAPA website has some different tournament types listed.

#9 5 years ago

I started out looking on PAPA's site before finding this old thread from a word search. I may drop the silly format I was originally looking for and implement the Papa 4 person group scoring instead. Just hope to get the right amount of players to keep as fair as possible. 6,8,9 or 12 would work real well. I am good with putting in groups of 3 and 4 people.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

scott freeman (michigan) set up a "pin-bowling" style of tournament play which was pretty well received

I like the idea..maybe if the same guys come over several occasions before I would try this...they aren't serious enough yet and much beer will be consumed. Math work will be frowned upon I believe.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

I like the idea..maybe if the same guys come over several occasions before I would try this...they aren't serious enough yet and much beer will be consumed. Math work will be frowned upon I believe.

ok, if math is frowned on, then there is keep it simple.

If you have solid state games, reset all the high scores, super low.
    If you have EM's, you will need to write down the high score.

Some people have eraseable white boards in their game room. They record the high scores on the board. Easy to look at, and see who holds the high scores.

The winner is the person with the most high scores in the room.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

10 games were played, each with a target score to reach. (each machine was associated with a specific bowling frame no.). if the target score was achieved on the 1st ball, the player received a strike. if the score was achieved with the 2nd ball, a spare was awarded. if the score was not reached, the player scored a '9'
    for the game associated with frame 10, scoring was as such:
    - if the target score was achieved with the 1st ball, a strike was awarded, the machine reset and the player then attempted to reach the target score for a 2nd strike, and then reset once again to try for a 3rd strike. if the target score was reached with the (3rd) ball, a spare was awarded, otherwise a '9' scored.
    - if the target score was achieved with the 2nd ball, a spare was awarded. the machine was then reset and play continued to reach the target score with the new (1st) ball. if reached, a strike was awarded, otherwise a '9' scored.
    note:
    a variation on this (which is more complicated to calculate), but spreads the scoring out a lot more is to capture the scores for each ball played for each player and then dividing the score achieved for each ball by the target score and multiplied by 10, gives you the pin count for that ball.
    eg. target score is: 3,500,000 points
    the player scores 1,750,100 points on their 1st ball, which is equivalent to 5 pins
    the math:
    1,750,100/3,500,000 = 0.50
    this value is then multiplied by 10 and rounded to an integer value (which is 5)
    0.50 *10 = 5.00
    they then score a total of 2,970,000 with the end of their 2nd ball, which is equivalent to an additional 3 pins
    the math:
    2,970,000-1,750,000 = 1,220,000
    1,220,000 / 3,500,500 = 0.348
    0.34 * 0 = 3.4, which rounded to the nearest integer is 3.0

and how do ties work?

reset the game that may not be as doable on a game on site also what if some is on frame 10 and they want to play to the replay level and still want the game to try to match at end of game as well?

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

and how do ties work?
    reset the game that may not be as doable on a game on site also what if some is on frame 10 and they want to play to the replay level and still want the game to try to match at end of game as well?

ties are broken by the player with the most number of strikes, then spares

resetting a game on site is just as easy as at home. you simply cycle the power. I'm not sure why you'd want to play to the end (unless you're playing on site). we did this in a "at home" environment so there was no reason for anyone to continue pass making the target score (regardless if it was 1st or 2nd ball).

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

ties are broken by the player with the most number of strikes, then spares
    resetting a game on site is just as easy as at home. you simply cycle the power.

some places don't want the players to do that.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

some places don't want the players to do that.

well, in that case, I would think you could just plunge and drain the 3rd ball for each player. it's not rocket science

3 years later
    #16 1 year ago

Old thread rival. Looking to have a small tournament at my place with some friends. I’ll have 5 machines to play. I’m the only pinball owner (but far from a good player). Purchased iscored app for score tracking but wanna come up with a way so everyone feels rules are fair and fun.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

Old thread rival. Looking to have a small tournament at my place with some friends. I’ll have 5 machines to play. I’m the only pinball owner (but far from a good player). Purchased iscored app for score tracking but wanna come up with a way so everyone feels rules are fair and fun.

How many people will it be?

I'm not familiar with that app, but if all it does is track scores, then you might want to look at something else that is built for competition. An easy one is Brackelope. You could do a 3 strikes tournament...meaning everyone plays until they've lost 3 times. Or do 4 strikes for a longer tournament. You enter the players and the machines, and the app just spits out matches. The downside is that this requires you to manage the tournament...make sure you're entering wins/losses, and the next round cannot begin until the current round is finished.

I often do a round robin format where you play everyone in your group. This can be done easily without an app. You draw a grid with players names across the top, and down the side. People just self organize to make sure they play each other player. They can draw games from a hat, and then each marks down their win or loss on the grid. At the end, the person with the best record is the winner. Or top two have a playoff. Or if you have multiple groups, the winners of each play each other.

With 10 players or more, I might split into two groups. With 8 or less, one group is probably the way to go. The good thing about round robin is that it works better than a bracket if you have an odd number of players.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.00
    Boards
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    £ 32.00
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 239.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 229.99
    $ 95.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 35.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside