Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by PBandJelly
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is competitive pinball fun?”

• Heck yes! 39 votes
      75%
    • Heck no! 13 votes
      25%

(52 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

League (resized).png
    96879ed15594ec327183fa02942fb1c83cbe3e0b (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbeardsley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 1 year ago

My frustration is how it always seems like my opponent drains his ball just BEFORE the ball save times out...but my ball drains just AFTER the save times out.

#8 1 year ago

Yes, I really prefer the limited qualifying. It seems a lot more fair than "the guys with the most qualifying attempts get to qualify".

I'd prefer a sort of hybrid thing, where everyone gets 2 or 3 qualifying chances.

I understand that it sucks to not qualify just because you had a "bad round", but if you've had 2 or 3 "bad rounds", then you probably shouldn't qualify.

The "pump and dump" thing is bad for three reasons.
    1) some players can just "buy" their way in by spending the whole day(s) doing qualifying attempts.
    2) even if you do well, your score may not hold up against all the "buyers", meaning that you need to keep doing more qualifying "just in case".
    3) because of (1) and (2) the lines to qualify get longer and longer until you spend all your time either qualifying or waiting to qualify.

The main reason tournaments do the "pump and dump" is because if you charge the players for each qualify attempt, you can rake in a bunch of cash.
    It's not a good way to run a tournament, but it IS a profitable one.

1 week later
    #13 1 year ago

Yes, the quality of players at small local tourneys will vary wildly.

I was in Tampa on business last month, and saw that a local arcade was running their Thursday night tournament, so I decided to try it out.
    I wasn't really expecting a bunch of serious players.

It turns out their tourney is "always won" by Eric Stone (who just won the IFPA World Championship last weekend).

So, you just never know...(and congrats to Eric Stone on his big win!)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbeardsley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-tournament-noob-10-lessons-learned-and-what-to-expect?tu=mbeardsley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.