(Topic ID: 317952)

Pinball Tools you wish you knew about when you started?

By TechnicalSteam

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by KJL
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    2F32485F-E2C6-4C7F-854F-E2F8575EBE99 (resized).jpeg
    52C18C4C-65DA-44D5-9AD3-AE4DB9EE8A7F (resized).jpeg
    mag (resized).jpg
    79AFB961-70DC-4995-88D6-23765BEB0FCD (resized).jpeg
    16685529554352419478683789126571 (resized).jpg
    malreynolds-firefly.gif
    chiplifter (resized).png
    bowl (resized).png
    334EB7BF-2955-4A17-8923-56E8B2159B00 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20220701-220654_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220701-220520_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
    SK-X-Frame-Ratcheting-Wrench-Web-03-650x320 (resized).jpg

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

What tools did you find out about when you first started restoring games that you find indispensable ?

Have you ever used a product in an unorthodox manner for working on pins?
    For example.. I setup Pin stadium lights to light the underside of my machine so I can see better.. (JK but hell it probably works )

Best Magnetic Pickup Tool?

Crap you bought that didn't work as well as you had hoped.. ( Molex Push Tool for me )

#2 1 year ago

Anyone use this?

RAK Magnetic Pickup Tool - Telescoping Magnet Stick with 3 LED Lights and Extendable Neck up to 22 Inches
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR53G6C

I'm actually considering installing under playfield light kit and making a mod for under 20.

#3 1 year ago

I absolutely love this thing. Pair it with a magnetic 1/4” hex extension.

F5E0E15F-0DC7-460B-B032-C0BC71AEC520 (resized).jpegF5E0E15F-0DC7-460B-B032-C0BC71AEC520 (resized).jpeg
    #4 1 year ago
    1D6DF73B-EE14-4B1E-9059-DD00BBA1BC4D (resized).jpeg1D6DF73B-EE14-4B1E-9059-DD00BBA1BC4D (resized).jpeg
    #5 1 year ago

Magnetic telescoping tool is a big one

Little box of calm from Titan pinball

Zoom spout oiler for spinners

Hakko soldering station everyone has. Went through numerous crappy irons before finding this one.

Long shaft, hollow shaft, magnetic net drivers.

Switch adjustment tool

File for cleaning switch contacts.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rezdog:

[quoted image]

Thank you!

#8 1 year ago

Bimini mod for the harbor freight lift table and having that table. Would have helped when we started and bought 5 machines at an auction.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #9 1 year ago

+1 switch adjustment tool plus the knowledge of how to properly adjust a switch.

#10 1 year ago

Hakko desoldering gun hands down if you do your own board work. Best definition of right tool for the job I've used in this hobby, it's a lifesaver.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Crap you bought that didn't work as well as you had hoped..

Hakko solder station

Any solder station that I have to look up how to change the temp is a piece of crap for sure

#12 1 year ago

This little tool a so handy. Seller is cnmgerb(4060)

6F1B8D51-2D9A-40AF-9844-BD0CA7A8BC10 (resized).png6F1B8D51-2D9A-40AF-9844-BD0CA7A8BC10 (resized).png
    #13 1 year ago

Tool that is best is broken screw remover

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/screw-extractor-1-4

detail.jpgdetail.jpg
    #14 1 year ago
    263F2557-393A-4599-9816-501399AAFB62 (resized).jpeg263F2557-393A-4599-9816-501399AAFB62 (resized).jpeg
    #15 1 year ago

Oh that's for sure.
    Nothing like having to use these on a Brand new PF; yikes.

#16 1 year ago

Quick Scan 80 test tool from Great Plains Electronics.

#17 1 year ago

Cut piece of rubber hose/tubing to remove lamps from deep sockets.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from turbo2nr:

Cut piece of rubber hose/tubing to remove lamps from deep sockets.

I just use an old shooter rod tip rubber.

#19 1 year ago

A friend got me this lineman's pliers around 1972.

It's been my go to tool for many things for many years. Adjusting leaf blades, grabbing things, etc. etc.

LTG : )

DSC00589 (resized).JPGDSC00589 (resized).JPG
    #20 1 year ago

I used to wrap my screwdrivers with electrical tape when I had to work with the power on.

Wera insulated screwdrivers are tested to 10,000 volts

61ifV9iJt5L._AC_SL1000_ (resized).jpg61ifV9iJt5L._AC_SL1000_ (resized).jpg
    #21 1 year ago

We all had a set of Craftsman 36 tooth ratchets growing up.

Nowadays we probably all still kept the sockets, but upgraded to 120 tooth Gearwrench XP ratchets.

The gears purr like a kitten, and can get you out of some REALLY tight spots where a 36 tooth could never catch and turn.

61+WSw+FEGL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg61+WSw+FEGL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    #22 1 year ago

Since vid1900 is posting all the true gold, I’ll just link to one of his threads with a tool that changed my damn life:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/engineer-pz-58-screw-extractor-pliers-21-sale

Removing side rails went from a few hours of prying and swearing to just a few minutes — still swearing but less.

#23 1 year ago

Combo wrenches with ratcheting closed ends allow you to get in spaces that a bulky socket wrench could never reach.

SK with their 216 tooth X-Frame ratchets are by far the current champions (made in USA baby!)
    SK-X-Frame-Ratcheting-Wrench-Web-03-650x320 (resized).jpgSK-X-Frame-Ratcheting-Wrench-Web-03-650x320 (resized).jpg

#24 1 year ago

Magnetic bendable flashlight

Lmaytech LED Flashlights, 2 Packs Rechargeable Work Lights,Work Light with Magnetic Base and Hanging Hook, 360° Rotate 5 Modes Bright Rechargeable Flashlights for Car Repair, Grill and Outdoor Use https://a.co/d/gJCli3q

Screenshot_20220701-220520_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220701-220520_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
    #25 1 year ago

This has been a lifesaver in afew instances where I needed to get in a tight space with screws or hex nuts

Milescraft 1303 Drive90PLUS Impact Ready Right Angle Drill Attachment - Perfect for Drilling or Driving in Tight Spaces - Minimum Reach of 1.5 in. - Accepts Most 1/4 in. Hex Accessories https://a.co/d/8qJwE2l

Screenshot_20220701-220654_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220701-220654_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
    #26 1 year ago
    #27 1 year ago
    Quoted from SuperMas77:

This headlamp is a huge help vs. a flashlight.
    amazon.com link »

I picked this one up a few months back, from a suggestion in another thread.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZCX56TF

It's been working great.

It's very light weight, comfortable, and has 2 degrees of brightness on the main LED strip (which is very bright), and a less bright side lamp.

#28 1 year ago

Started in the early 80s, I probably got my first pin going (an EM) without a switch adjuster. Did a ton of other things wrong on that game, too.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I picked this one up a few months back, from a suggestion in another thread.

Just ordered one!

#30 1 year ago

Angled/bent needle nose pliers have come in handy a few times.
    You can get them in all lengths and angles. Mine are smaller, I believe they are 4” at 45 degrees. Nice for getting into tight spaces. Don’t have a specific brand/set to recommend you can find them at most hardware stores or Amazon.

334EB7BF-2955-4A17-8923-56E8B2159B00 (resized).jpeg334EB7BF-2955-4A17-8923-56E8B2159B00 (resized).jpeg

4 months later
    #31 1 year ago

I’m one of those guys that has a tool kit labeled for every function, ie, electrical, drywall, plumbing, garage shit, misc, outdoor… whatever.

This week I’ll be completing my ‘pinball/arcade’ tool kit. Thanks for all little tips above. Def need some lighting to help see better and torx/reg screw drivers, might even try to buy a smaller ratchet just keep aside from my giant box with all sizes.

Big question, does anyone know the most common metrics or sizes used? I’ll go verify some of them just not sure if anyone has come across anything common that works better or not metric vs whatever the American version is called.. etc… haha

And I am very tempted to modify my HF cart. Just worries me because everything I’ve bought from there I’ve snapped and broke lol

#32 1 year ago

Magnetic bowl. Makes keeping track of screws and small metal parts 1,000 times easier. I usually put mind down on the lockdown bar of the pin next to the one I'm working on.

Amazon has them for $7 or harbor freight usually has them for $2 if one is close by. You could go nuts and get different colored ones to track different parts of your machine.

https://www.amazon.com/Edward-Tools-Round-Magnetic-Tray/dp/B08VRH32RB/ref=sr_1_11

bowl (resized).pngbowl (resized).png
    #33 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Zoom spout oiler for spinners.

This works much better
    https://allstitch.com/products/refillable-hollow-needle-precision-oil-dispenser-1710

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

This little tool a so handy. Seller is cnmgerb(4060)[quoted image]

get a whole set, very handy
    https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Super-Thin-Wrench-Set/dp/B001HZQW0Y

#35 1 year ago

A chip lifter has saved me from bending and breaking countless legs on chips, expecially when trying to pull them from boards still mounted in the backbox.

chiplifter (resized).pngchiplifter (resized).png
    #36 1 year ago
    Quoted from La4s:

A chip lifter has saved me from bending and breaking countless legs on chips, expecially when trying to pull them from boards still mounted in the backbox.[quoted image]

I much prefer a chip puller instead in order to avoid bending legs.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I bend way more chips using this than doing the pry thing. I need to get one of the real pry tools, I just use a small screwdriver to start it getting loose, then the chip puller to get it the rest of the way out.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from slochar:

I bend way more chips using this than doing the pry thing.

Sounds like you might not have been doing it right. Just grip the chip so that the hooks are under the body of the chip, and one quick yank straight out should take care of it. If you're wiggling it around, that's not the right way to do it.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

[quoted image]

I find the oxidized chips make it hard to pull straight out without a lot of force, and I always seem to bust my knuckles on something once the chip does pop out.

#40 1 year ago

The amount of times I’ve scraped my knuckles already is too much for me. Haha seems like you try to just get that little extra strength and then bam!

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

[quoted image]

So, I once hurt my foot using this type chip puller.

Chip was stuck in place very firmly. So I yanked hard. Chip came out and went flying across the room behind me.
    When I went looking for it, I stepped on it, and the legs imbedded in the bottom of my foot.
    So then I felt fairly stupid. But the chip was out anyway.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Chip was stuck in place very firmly. So I yanked hard. Chip came out and went flying across the room behind me.
    When I went looking for it, I stepped on it, and the legs imbedded in the bottom of my foot.

malreynolds-firefly.gifmalreynolds-firefly.gif
    #43 1 year ago

I like this chip puller, no yanking involved...

16685529554352419478683789126571 (resized).jpg16685529554352419478683789126571 (resized).jpg
    #44 1 year ago

It’s more about the product, but the extension spout is nice! This is the only stuff I’ve ever put on spinners that only needs applied once.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

So, I’ll sneak in my sneaker obsession as advice, when working in my game room I have all white Nike Huaraches I wear.

I’m sure I’d forget to put them on though and would still step on the chip or screw. Haha

Have to have gameroom shoes and workshop shoes!

#46 1 year ago

kruzman clear coat kit.

#47 1 year ago

Best $2 bucks you can spend. A nice hook tool set.

79AFB961-70DC-4995-88D6-23765BEB0FCD (resized).jpeg79AFB961-70DC-4995-88D6-23765BEB0FCD (resized).jpeg
    #48 1 year ago

I have a few different cleaners and waxes already. I know there has to be tons of posts on here but I’d really like to make sure I’m cleaning and waxing the proper way going into OH Winter gameroom activities. Any advise on tools, waxes, cleaners tools for that?

Also, feel free to share any videos or threads as well. Just want to do it right

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jkush18:

Best $2 bucks you can spend. A nice hook tool set.
    [quoted image]

I forgot these were a thing. I know I have some floating around but can’t remember for the life of me where they are or if I’ve ever used them.

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from GoldenBeard:

I have a few different cleaners and waxes already. I know there has to be tons of posts on here but I’d really like to make sure I’m cleaning and waxing the proper way going into OH Winter gameroom activities. Any advise on tools, waxes, cleaners tools for that?
    Also, feel free to share any videos or threads as well. Just want to do it right

Blitz one grand wax
    Novus 1 or 2 for cleaning. Lots clean with naptha, but I don’t like to. Seems overkill. Novus has never failed me. Almost always clean with novus 2 then wax with blitz.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-tools-you-wish-you-knew-about-when-you-started and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.