(Topic ID: 293346)

Pinball Tool Kit and Common Hardware - All In One?

By timlah79

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TBL bowling alley FAQ photo (resized).png
    TBL arm screw (resized).jpg
    Bracket Nut (resized).jpg
    TBL bigger view (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider timlah79.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I'm somewhat shocked to not be able to find something like a "mini" tool kit that includes not only just the tools for pinball machines but also common hardware and other parts one would likely need to repair and maintain a pinball machine. It seems like these days you just buy a toolkit that includes way more than you need, then hardware one by one as you run into issues. This all makes sense for most experienced people who use their tool set to fix other things (like the kitchen sink or car), but often times for tools you have to buy a wrench or screwdriver set with tons of types/sizes pinball owners will never use--i.e. gigantic sized ratchet wrenches, sockets. And when it comes to hardware like specific sized screws and nuts and even fuses or bulb sockets, coils, springs, cleaners, wax, arms or anything of the like, one always has to figure out what is needed, wishing they already had them once things break. For tools alone the only thing like what I'm speaking of that I can find is 99 euros / $119 USD https://pu-parts.com/tool-kit and it's just a dumbed down toolkit anyone can buy for half the price elsewhere. Plus it doesn't include essentials like a magnetic probe. I feel like there has to be a market for an improved kit like that which also includes common hardware and other essentials. Curious of anyone's thoughts on this topic. The only posts I've found around this topic have gotten lost in the ether years ago.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

Why would you be shocked? Pinball is such a tiny tiny sub-section of a hobby that possibly represents 0.00001% of the population.
    It doesn't surprise me one little bit that ready made tool kits are not available - what DOES surprise me is that so many tools and parts ARE actually available to us all.

Agree on the tools and parts availability for sure but we're talking in a forum that is specific to that tiny percentage you speak of. A tiny percentage of consumers which there are profitable companies out there who make a living off of supporting them. I suppose I just look at all the overpriced mods, the parts that are available ad-hoc that people do make a living off of selling and wonder why one of them has yet to capitalize on a kit like this. The one I linked to is some attempt at that but barely comes close to what should be a true kit.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

I think you are again thinking that there are tons of companies out there making zillions of dollars in this industry. I think that's a long way removed from the truth. Yes, there are large enterprises like Pinball Life, Marco and several others BUT most of the mod companies and parts making places are nothing more than hobby businesses that do it for the love of pinball and possibly some pocket money.
    I don't think anyone is 'getting rich' selling pinball machine mods or even parts except perhaps for the very large businesses and even then, I assume they are only doing OK - I doubt they are making a killing and buying helicopters or islands in the Bahamas.

I think you misunderstood my reply. I was just saying that there are companies in the business of pinball parts and tools that are making a living doing so otherwise they would not be in business (or maybe I'm wrong, I am no veteran to this whatsoever). It just makes me wonder why one of them doesn't create a kits like this, that's all. I'm not sitting here pretending any of them are getting rich by doing so. They are dedicated to our niche market and love for pinball and thank goodness for that. Also agree that most of the mod community are hobbyists, it's not their living I imagine. Basically I'm agreeing with you in full, LOL. I'm just looking for a good solution for people learning what they do or don't need to maintain and fix their machines, and I feel like someone could source the key tools and components and sell a kit. That's all my point / thread is about.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

And even the big ones don't stock every part imaginable.
    A lot of them do sell tools.
    And many of the people into pinball already have some tools. So a kit ready to go with a good assortment of tools will have many items the person doesn't need because they already have it.
    And to source a bunch of tools, and a nice case. Assemble it and have it available. And a place to stock/store them until they sell costs money too.
    And people may drool over such a kit. And then go to Amazon or Harbor Freight to get what they need.
    Years ago there was tool kits made for coin op, though mostly video game type stuff.
    You might search for electronics tool kits and find somethings to get you started.
    amazon.com link »
    Tools are acquired over a lifetime or out of need. So you'll be adding to your tool collection anyway.
    LTG : )

Great points all around, sir! Yeah and to your last point, there's definitely not a "magic kit" solution i.e. no matter what one will likely find themselves having to find some other tool/part. But if some kit came close that would be pretty rad.

I am far less "shocked" after reading all of these responses. Perhaps I shouldn't have used that term to begin with. I was just looking back in retrospect to how many times in only the last 3 years of owning pinball and arcade machines something's come up and I don't have what I need, going, "Ugh, why don't I already have that tool/part somewhere in this rats nest of tools and parts I already have!?" 9 times out of 10 I don't have what I need at the given time and have to go down the rabbit hole to find it, so if something could cut that down to even 5 times out of 10 that would be amazing, but perhaps that's a pipe dream...

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

Probably just gather the tools and parts you need, as you need them.
    This requirement will certainly vary depending on what machines you are "into". EM's require a whole different bunch of tools and spares to say '90s DMD machines where you are more likely to need connectors and shells with the appropriate crimping tools.
    EM's would require spare switch blades, spacers and contacts with the appropriate riveting tools for them.
    I'm generalising a lot here but I hope you get my drift. It's another reason you can't easily have "one kit for pinball". You would need several to cover all eras of machines.
    Excuse me, I'm off to my Caribbean Island.......hahaha

Drift caught 100%! Please swoop me up on your way. I'll be the sunburnt castaway, drifting somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico, slowly as I'll be anchored by a kit of giant torque wrenches, sockets and screws large enough to plug a baleen whale's blowhole.

#15 2 years ago

So here's where I really need help in what exact tools I need. This is my TBL from the under right side of the bowling alley which is mounted underneath the playfield. Sure, the alley can be removed and pulled out of the machine but the consequences of doing that and the difficulty in re-mounting it are more than one should have to do. So I'm looking for what tools I could buy to tackle these two problematic areas. See 1 and 2 and pics that follow.

1. The bowling alley arm has an adjustment screw. I'm told it's a 2.5mm allen but believe me I've tried that and any other allen wrench similar in size and cannot get a hold of it. I have all kinds of star and allen tips for my nut driver but since the bracket cannot be removed I cannot even get into this tiny opening with the thinnest nut driver I own. Plus even if I could get one of my tiny allen wrenches to fit there wouldn't be enough leverage to unscrew it since its intentionally incredibly tight. Also the arm itself has to be held in a perfect position to even expose the screw inside and you cannot see what you're doing when in there. Plus there's an offending bracket in the way. The entire mechanism cannot be removed from the bottom. In other words to adjust this little guy you can only do it with everything assembled. There's only so much room to even see what's going on and as you can tell from my photo it's so hard to reach I can't even get a sharp picture of it. So my question is what in the heck size of hex or star is this really? And what kind of tool can I buy to access it?

2. Behind this area is a bracket beneath the bowling alley that has a 7mm nut that will not budge. I can get all other 3 nuts off with an incredible amount of difficulty but not this one. I believe it to be locked on its screw, probably torqued too much during assembly. I've exhausted all tools at my disposal to the point where now my 7mm nut driver is beginning to strip. As you can see there's little to no room to put any tool squarely over the nut with enough leverage to jar it loose. It's millimeters away from its bracket metal. I don't know how I got the other side's nut off but I was able to with the tiniest racket wrench I've ever been able to find online. I think the other one was not stuck or already partially stripped like this one appears to be.

So what magic, tiny tools can I buy to add to my collection for both of these problematic areas?

Bracket Nut (resized).jpgBracket Nut (resized).jpgTBL arm screw (resized).jpgTBL arm screw (resized).jpgTBL bigger view (resized).jpgTBL bigger view (resized).jpg
    #19 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I might add to that over time I've thinned down the herd. No sense keeping thin

I'd get a big set of American and Metric allen wrenches. Then you'll find one that fits.
    #2 is tougher. 7 mm wrench, try and turn it off. A little at a time. If bracket wasn't in the way. I'd put a bigger ratchet or breaker bar on it.
    LTG : )

Yes this is a metric non US game. I actually have a plethora of metric Allen wrenches and "star" bits. I believe I have all the "sizes" of both that are used in both situations. What I don't have are tools or adapters if you will that will fit in either of these areas.

For #1 I should have posted this picture too from the manufacturer's FAQ in this area. It suggests a 2.5mm allen wrench but either that's not what that screw needs or my wrenches can't get at it at the correct angle. In fact they just updated the FAQ today saying, oh wait it's a TX10 not a 2.5mm allen wrench type screw nowadays.... What is this tool called that they are using in this photo? Also I can't figure out what the difference is between T10 and TX10. As far as amazon and google goes I can only find toolkits with "T10" or other variations like "T10 H". The latter I think is the security type which I also have a plethora of but again not a skinny enough bit driver to get into this spot.
    TBL bowling alley FAQ photo (resized).pngTBL bowling alley FAQ photo (resized).png

For #2 If only this tool I bought a long time ago had a 7mm socket on it. It's the only tool I have that may have been able to get that stubborn nut loose bit it only has screwdriver bits: https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Profile-Screwdriver-5-Piece-Construction/dp/B07GNPRRVZ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider timlah79.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-tool-kit-and-common-hardware-all-in-one?tu=timlah79 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.