(Topic ID: 308667)

Pinball "too complicated" for kids these days?

By ExSquid

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Atlantis (Bally, 1989) BG (Ken Wiseman) (resized).jpg
9D132285-AF26-4DF8-9BE7-1CC88BCD00AC.jpeg
Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 3.33.53 PM (resized).png
CC9F9DB5-F52D-4CD3-BD62-BE6CC3B9FF62 (resized).jpeg
0 (resized).jpg
wolf-of-wall-street-one-of-us (resized).png
20210220_141552 (resized).jpg
20210210_181032 (resized).jpg
20210210_180133 (resized).jpg
jim-carrey-chewing (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
fish (resized).jpg
car (resized).jpg
son (resized).jpg
TF Mini Model (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider knxwledge.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#182 2 years ago

The average adult gravitates to games for the theme or nostalgia (which is why modern Sterns, older licensed games and Bally/Williams do the best on route, with everything else trailing behind in a distant second). I saw someone saying that Bally/Williams are popular because they're simple, but if that were the case then the early SS and EMs would be as popular if not more. Expecting kids to magically have the same level of interest in pinball as the collectors is unreasonable, as others have said playing pinball with them will help to foster a interest in them to maybe explore it more on their own as they get older.

I have been told multiple times by family who come over that they don't want to touch my game collection because they're scared they'll break something. I have to convince them to turn the games on, they're meant to be enjoyed dammit

#187 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

SOMEONE is gonna buy them an enjoy them. They're not going to end up in the dump.

Yeah me mf'ers hurry up and kick the bucket so I can get a $1k NGG

Quoted from Rarehero:

That being said - the design philosophy of B/W is usually a guarantee casuals will have fun.

If it's the simplicity that's the deciding factor in popularity then why are EMs not more popular? They're more simplistic. Genuine question, not rhetorical. The games are too "old"?

#190 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Why wait for a $1k NGG when you can have mine RIGHT NOW for $10k!?!?!

How about I trade you a MUSEUM QUALITY* Pac Man cabinet?

Quoted from Rarehero:

To people like me, EMs are simple to the point of "what's even the point?". They're static, slow, and boring. Music, sound FX, voices, light shows, interactive mechs go a long way to make it more of a magical interactive experience. An EM is just like...a slab of wood with holes that makes doorbell sounds. . It's probably because I'm a child of the 80s who grew up with video games, so music & sound is an essential part of a game. I can't play Fortnite or Rocket League because there's no music...but I LOOOOOVE Splatoon! Amazing music that accentuates the gameplay!
I love TNA, which is kind of like an EM...but the music, lights, and rules really suck me in & makes for an incredible experience.

I love EMs but I can understand how they aren't for everyone, and aren't flashy enough to grab the average person's attention. Attention spans are only getting shorter these days, the more flashing lights and sounds the better it seems.

*'Museum quality' as defined by Chris atCaptain's Auction Museum of Pinball Auction

#197 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I bought my NGG from Marty Ingels - he did the voice of Pac-Man in the 80's cartoon...and he also had a MINT Pac-Man that he autographed. I probably should have bought that, too. I think he wanted $5k for it...which, at the time, just seemed like way too much for a Pac-Man, even a nice one! Might still be too much....but still, a cool piece of "Pac History".

In that case, depends on what you value his signature at. I would say that's probably the 1% or less of minty mint Pacs (probably HUO), so probably worth $2k, maybe $2.5k. Is his signature worth $2.5k?

Quoted from Rarehero:

Attention span isn't the issue...it's presentation. I think you need more of an attention span with modern pinball, especially games with crazy deep rulesets and scoring strategies. I just think most people just really gravitate toward pinball with a presentation that has personality. Personality goes a long way.
Think of your favorite movie with a really memorable soundtrack. Imagine watching it with no soundtrack. Same idea.

That might be the case, but the games weren't designed with music in mind. They could have made EMs that utilized 8-track players like the 70s EM shooters did, or cassette players like the Journey arcade game did in the 80s, but they didn't, and developers were scared of the switch from chimes to electronic sounds when SS came around. Thinking of my favorite movies right now, I cant remember a single song from them, but I can remember the soundtracks from my favorite video games so I see your point.

#204 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Any movie that John Williams scored...Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones. That music is BURNED in peoples heads and are an integral part of the experience of those movies. Without music, they wouldn't be the same.

Right, but you can't tell me you remember the soundtrack to 12 Angry Men, Fight Club, Alien and 2001. They would be lacking without soundtracks but they don't have the same recognizable melodies and yet they're all in the top IMDB 100 list, some of which beat those movies you listed.

#210 2 years ago
Quoted from twoplays25c:

This is an "all thumbs, head down" generation.
It's how they like to live their day.
Asking them to use independent fingers, move their vision around a playfield by moving their head a bit more up or down - and to stay focused on a moving ball?
LOL - who we kiddin'?

This is the most out of touch boomer shit Ive ever heard

#236 2 years ago
Quoted from Blackwolf:

I was merely suggesting better messaging and possibly some optional "training" modes to help introduce newer players of any age to pinball - not to make the rulesets less complex. Unlike some people, I do think there is value in an optional mode on free play pins that you can select instead of standard game mode that feed you a ball and let you attempt a shot multiple times to figure out the angle without the stress of the lights and callouts. You wouldn't ask a top level athlete to only practice in live game situations so I'm not sure why suggesting this seemed so uncalled for. I don't want the games to be less complex, but modern games have a video screen that has an attract mode...

I like this idea. A good analogy would be speedrunning. Speedrunners don't practice new strategies during their live runs, they use savestates to make it more efficient to grind. If pinball is going to be treated as a sport it should become more user friendly without sacrificing depth.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider knxwledge.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-too-complicated-for-kids-these-days?tu=knxwledge and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.