(Topic ID: 308667)

Pinball "too complicated" for kids these days?

By ExSquid

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Atlantis (Bally, 1989) BG (Ken Wiseman) (resized).jpg
9D132285-AF26-4DF8-9BE7-1CC88BCD00AC.jpeg
Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 3.33.53 PM (resized).png
CC9F9DB5-F52D-4CD3-BD62-BE6CC3B9FF62 (resized).jpeg
0 (resized).jpg
wolf-of-wall-street-one-of-us (resized).png
20210220_141552 (resized).jpg
20210210_181032 (resized).jpg
20210210_180133 (resized).jpg
jim-carrey-chewing (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
fish (resized).jpg
car (resized).jpg
son (resized).jpg
TF Mini Model (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#72 2 years ago

Just stick a few Pokemon characters on the backglass and all the kids will be playing pinball.

My boys used to play some but never anymore. Any other kids that have come over got excited at first, plays for a few minutes, and then never again. No use trying to explain any rules because they are just trying to keep the ball alive. Adults are the same and honestly I was the same when younger even with simpler games. It would be a waste of time and disaster trying to design pins for non pinheads. If you are going to be spending $7000-$12000 on a pin, you want the features to match the price.

#158 2 years ago
Quoted from SterlingRush:

Keep in mind, pinball isn’t for everyone......

Right, and there is no point in trying to market pinball to people that are not interested in pinball. People that are interested in pinball, want real pinball machines that takes skills to play. If you have little to no interest in playing pinball, it makes no difference what theme is on the backglass or how wide the ramps are. Would any of you buy an expensive pin with dumbed down rules, kiddie theme, and basic layout? No. The argument that it will be successful because everyone else will buy it is ridiculous.

#173 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

I must be in the minority here. I play my games mostly unsure of "exactly" what I'm doing but when stuff does happen its great! I just smack the ball around and have a blast no matter what. While drinking some whiskey......which might actually be the culprit of me " not caring" whats really going on haha

Same here. I just plunge and try to figure out things as I play. That's pinball. While I agree that it would be nice for games to be a little easy to understand, I don't want games to be dumbed down to novice level. The attraction to deep, complex code is that there is always something to learn and explore for months or even years. Not much fun when you beat the game and see all the modes on the first day of ownership.

#207 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Yeah, exactly. In a loud arcade, critical instructions get lost.
But I’m not talking about “dumbing down” pinball. I’m talking about making the communication on how and why to shoot shots less dumb.

The display does gives you a lot of instructions but most people don't look up when playing. Even if the display was right on the pf it's hard to keep reading instructions while playing. More callouts might help but don't think I want to hear "shoot the ramp" or "shoot the whatever target" over and over and over. Plus, sometimes there are a lot of things going on at once. Rarely is there just one thing to shoot. Most games have a whole variety of objectives you could be going for at once. A game that forces you down a linear path is not good. The only thing I can think of is to have a novice or advance game mode selection at beginning of the game. The novice game would have simple rules and objectives. However, that wouldn't be the real game and don't think anyone besides little kids would like that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Salem, VA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-too-complicated-for-kids-these-days?tu=jawjaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.