(Topic ID: 308667)

Pinball "too complicated" for kids these days?

By ExSquid

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Atlantis (Bally, 1989) BG (Ken Wiseman) (resized).jpg
9D132285-AF26-4DF8-9BE7-1CC88BCD00AC.jpeg
Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 3.33.53 PM (resized).png
CC9F9DB5-F52D-4CD3-BD62-BE6CC3B9FF62 (resized).jpeg
0 (resized).jpg
wolf-of-wall-street-one-of-us (resized).png
20210220_141552 (resized).jpg
20210210_181032 (resized).jpg
20210210_180133 (resized).jpg
jim-carrey-chewing (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
fish (resized).jpg
car (resized).jpg
son (resized).jpg
TF Mini Model (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iloveplywood.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#196 2 years ago

I really don't know if it's fair to say that it's too complicated for kids today I think in reality pinball is just plain too complicated and too hard period to attract a super wide audience. There are no levels in pinball -- it's on hard mode from the first plunge. Rules are super complicated -- even when I just played The pinball arcade I had to go back to the rules page over and over and over again -- and these were for the simple williams games. Both these things are huge barriers to getting into pinball -- of course it's these same things that make it so fun and addictive once you do get it.

Back to the kids -- , I think pinball has been non-kid relevant for close to forty years, basically once the atari 2600 came out. No longer were games constrained by needing to generate revenue by quarter sucking -- and therefore high score chasing became a minor aspect of the hobby/activity. I remember our big christmas present one year was a beat up Genesis pinball machine. We all thought it was neat, but were kind of confused by it. I think it was only when we got in our 20's that we first revealed the robot underneath the table -- it was very shocking! I'm 52 and even back when I was a kid pinball machines were these weird/hard devices that frustrated me whenever I tried to play them compared to video games. I felt like a moron playing them.

Anyway, long story short -- I don't think this is the best example of how kids these days are different. If this was 30 years ago, I think you'd have the same experience.

#199 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Why wait for a $1k NGG when you can have mine RIGHT NOW for $10k!?!?!

To people like me, EMs are simple to the point of "what's even the point?". They're static, slow, and boring. Music, sound FX, voices, light shows, interactive mechs go a long way to make it more of a magical interactive experience. An EM is just like...a slab of wood with holes that makes doorbell sounds. . It's probably because I'm a child of the 80s who grew up with video games, so music & sound is an essential part of a game. I can't play Fortnite or Rocket League because there's no music...but I LOOOOOVE Splatoon! Amazing music that accentuates the gameplay!
I love TNA, which is kind of like an EM...but the music, lights, and rules really suck me in & makes for an incredible experience.

I really miss my TNA. There are times where I think I should sell my two pins and go to just this one -- it's such a great game if you just play pinball every once and a while and great to play with friends and family. So many great tense moments where you have the ball cradled on your flipper, trying to get to your farthest reactor and having no safe shots.

The only negative to this scenario is that I would break it in two at some point. It made me such an angry human -- I think I'm not evolved enough to handle this game

P.S. Rocket league is awesome!

#206 2 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

Pinball dies with GenX. There's no social factor to pinball like it was. It's not the competing with digital games/screens. Kids just don't want to enjoy a machine while dad/grandpa stare over their shoulder.
Kids like kids. Kids like chaos. All the nostalgia we have comes from days of airports, bus stops, pizza parlors, and most importantly...arcades. And I'm talking a busy, multistory, everyone-come-out-Friday arcade. You could stay up late, eat candy, buy cigarettes, get into fights, and make memories. This entire experience has moved into online games.
And where do you play pinball? Cleaned-up places with craft beers and dad-rock. Can you walk in there and beat the hell out of a $15K JJP? No way. Is there a Centaur to punch when it backtalks you? No.
Enjoy the swan song boys. Our pins go up on auction blocks when we die.

The thing is that these kids will eventually be our age. I had no nostalgia for pinball and only got into it by playing pinball arcade. Pinball has a lot of weaknesses, but its strength is that it's actually a fun game that stands the test of time -- not just something that taps into nostalgia like arguably a lot of older video games. Not saying pinball will thrive in the future, there are a lot of things working against it, I just don't think old people dying off is going to be what kills it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iloveplywood.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-too-complicated-for-kids-these-days?tu=iloveplywood and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.