(Topic ID: 308667)

Pinball "too complicated" for kids these days?

By ExSquid

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Atlantis (Bally, 1989) BG (Ken Wiseman) (resized).jpg
9D132285-AF26-4DF8-9BE7-1CC88BCD00AC.jpeg
Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 3.33.53 PM (resized).png
CC9F9DB5-F52D-4CD3-BD62-BE6CC3B9FF62 (resized).jpeg
0 (resized).jpg
wolf-of-wall-street-one-of-us (resized).png
20210220_141552 (resized).jpg
20210210_181032 (resized).jpg
20210210_180133 (resized).jpg
jim-carrey-chewing (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
fish (resized).jpg
car (resized).jpg
son (resized).jpg
TF Mini Model (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clearstar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 2 years ago

Great observations here. I'll propose a different theory, As a father and as someone who observes these behaviors in both my nieces and nephews and my wife's family. Kids are much more aware of the reason "why" now a days (or at least they think they are!). Therefore, they don't do things just to do them much like we did. Fun was a feeling when I was a child. To a kid in today's world, fun is fulfillment of a purpose. Perfect example is college sports, the college athlete of 2010 is night and day to that of 2022. I am close to the "athlete" world of coaches, and ask any coach and they will tell you the one difference is the kids now want to know WHY...why are we running?, why do we need to practice passing 100 times instead of 108.3 times?, why would the slower player be starting over the faster one?, etc etc. They don't let you lead them down a path blindly.

So, going back to pinball, I think your comment "what am I supposed to do"! is everything in a nutshell. The kids won't just start banging away at a pinball machine or video game. Why "figure something out" when someone has already done it. Most video game players watch YouTube videos before they even boot the game up the first time. They want to understand what success looks like, so then they can go strive for it, or even furthermore plan for it in their own way. The way kids brains work now adays, seems to have a much harder time having "fun" without accomplishment or winning something. Banging things around doesn't work for them.

To be honset, Stern might have a stroke of genius with Insider Connect, bringing the younger crowd along. They can give them "brownie points" for every little thing they do on the machine.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

Great observations here. I'll propose a different theory, As a father and as someone who observes these behaviors in both my nieces and nephews and my wife's family. Kids are much more aware of the reason "why" now a days (or at least they think they are!). Therefore, they don't do things just to do them much like we did. Fun was a feeling when I was a child. To a kid in today's world, fun is fulfillment of a purpose. Perfect example is college sports, the college athlete of 2010 is night and day to that of 2022. I am close to the "athlete" world of coaches, and ask any coach and they will tell you the one difference is the kids now want to know WHY...why are we running?, why do we need to practice passing 100 times instead of 108.3 times?, why would the slower player be starting over the faster one?, etc etc. They don't let you lead them down a path blindly.
So, going back to pinball, I think your comment "what am I supposed to do"! is everything in a nutshell. The kids won't just start banging away at a pinball machine or video game. Why "figure something out" when someone has already done it. Most video game players watch YouTube videos before they even boot the game up the first time. They want to understand what success looks like, so then they can go strive for it, or even furthermore plan for it in their own way. The way kids brains work now adays, seems to have a much harder time having "fun" without accomplishment or winning something. Banging things around doesn't work for them.
To be honset, Stern might have a stroke of genius with Insider Connect, bringing the younger crowd along. They can give them "brownie points" for every little thing they do on the machine. The main issue with Insider Connect is it's not an App, it's a website.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 70.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
6,495 (Firm)
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clearstar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-too-complicated-for-kids-these-days?tu=clearstar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.