(Topic ID: 323604)

“Pinball: The man who saved the game” Roger Sharpe Movie

By 2pupPinz

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I just watched the new movie about Roger Sharpe’s story leading up to his historical moment in a NYC council meeting proving pinball was a game of skill rather than chance and wanted to express how well the movie was done.

First off the acting and production of the film were top notch! For me, it was the story that made the movie really well done and inspirational.

The movie covers more of the personal side of one of our hobby’s true heroes and offers an inside look into the personal drive and passion for the game that Roger has. Being something of a period piece, the attention to detail and authenticity are evident in every scene. The story is full of both humor and kindness and allows the viewer to understand the drive of an individual to take those personal risks in life that allow the possibility for happiness and greatness, both personally and professionally. The movie cleverly reveals how life choices and guidelines are analogous to our choices in pinball: do I take the risk or play it safe, and how those that never can give up “can never let it drain”.

You, Roger Sharpe, are much more than a “footnote” in the history of the game we are enthusiasts of. Your passion, love and work in pinball are and will be applauded for generations and you should be very proud of all you have given to pinball and accomplished both professionally and privately. You’re a model of what “do what you’re good at and makes you happy” truly means.

Thank you for sharing your, as well as your strong and supportive wife’s, story.

Anyone interested in seeing the movie should visit https://pinballfilm.com/ which provides the film festivals where it can be viewed.

#2 1 year ago

Did the film mention this was for NYC, and by then pinball was legal in most of the rest of the USA ?

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

It did Lloyd, but mentioned/suggested in the council meeting scene that pinball was illegal not only in NYC, but also Chicago, which I did not know.

In the Q&A with directors/producers and Roger, they also mentioned that in many large cities (Atlanta, NOLA, Oakland) pinball was banned at the time, and that in some small towns pinball was still banned on the books within the last few years.

Wish I could’ve picked their brains a bit more afterwards but we were ushered out

#4 1 year ago

Wish they'd have a screening at Expo!!

#5 1 year ago

Email them at the website and let them know. Never hurts to ask.

#7 1 year ago

Seeing the Film next week at our Newport Beach Film Festival. Already have my tickets. We have a group of 10 old OC Pinball leaguers going.
    There is a Q & A afterwards but dought Roger will fly out to California for it. Hope so!

#8 1 year ago

I was able to watch this film at the festival last night. Roger and his wife also attended and did a short Q&A after the movie. I don't want to give away any spoilers but this is a movie about Roger's early years and the events around the NYC ban. It isn't a documentary.

In fact Roger isn't in the movie at all, an actor is playing him.

We both enjoyed it and I'm sure the pinball community is going to like it.

Damon

#9 1 year ago

Just saw the movie at the same film festival. I wish I had known about it earlier so I could have attended the showing when Roger was there.

The movie is great. It is more about Roger's life than pinball, but I still thought it was great. Two thumbs up!

1 week later
    #10 1 year ago

Saw movie Thursday night with the pinball gang.
    WOW! What a great movie. Not because it's about pinball, but because it is so well made. Top notch production period piece. The costumes, the sets, the feel, it is the 70's and you get immersed in it. The cinematography is so well done I was blown away.
    The acting in superb, the characters draw you in. Both young and old Roger where just so well played.
    This movie feels like it had a mutilmillion dollar budget.
    I highly recommend this movie and hope it gets full release next year.
    5 stars, 2 thumbs up, a must see.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Saw movie Thursday night with the pinball gang.
    WOW! What a great movie...I highly recommend this movie and hope it gets full release next year.
    5 stars, 2 thumbs up, a must see.

Roger Sharpe... The man who saved cinema.

2 weeks later
    #12 1 year ago

Saw it last night at a private screening held by the producers. There was Q & A following with producers and director. The movie was fantastic. Coming to streaming in March FYI they just inked the deal. I’d watch it again it was that good.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spatacuulous:

Saw it last night at a private screening held by the producers. There was Q & A following with producers and director. The movie was fantastic. Coming to streaming in March FYI they just inked the deal. I’d watch it again it was that good.

Any idea what streaming service they signed with? Super exciting! Its a great film.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-the-man-who-saved-the-game-roger-sharpe-movie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.