Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by zaphod
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Patrunkenphat7:

It’s legitimately in my business office and can be enjoyed by employees, clients, and myself, but it’s obviously subjective as to whether I actually NEED something like a pinball machine, so I’m unsure how the IRS would view this adult toy in an office.

It’s fine. Put the asset on your balance sheet and depreciate it. For tax purposes you’ll want to research the options of depreciation. You May be able to fully depreciate it in year 1, however you will probably have to recognize a bigger gain when you sell it later.

#10 3 years ago

Also I believe the safe harbor amount is still $2,500 for all businesses meaning if you buy an asset for the business and it cost 2,500 or less, you can just expense it and not have to list it as an asset and depreciate.

Your accountant should know all this so just double check with them.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Completist:

What do you mean value after depreciation?? This is pinball so the value after sale is higher or at worst the same!!

Then I suggest researching residual values and the differences between depreciating an asset that way for book purposes and for tax purposes.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

From the sounds of it, you’re putting it in the office for employees and yourself to enjoy.
    Definitely not tax deductible.
    It’s no different than if you bought your employees lunch for the day. Not a write off.
    Now, let’s say if you have a cafeteria, and you supply for free meals daily to your employees, because you don’t want them leaving the office. That’s a write off.
    In reality, the chances of you getting audited over a pinball machine are somewhere between 0% and 0%. More than likely, your accountant will catch it and make it a distribution. Don’t forget, he puts his name on the tax return too, putting his license in jeopardy. Ask yourself, what is the upside for your CPA to do something against tax law? Answer is none. Your upside is less taxes.

I haven’t done tax research in a while but I’m pretty sure certain typeS of staff entertainment is 100% deductible now. What qualifies for that, I’m not sure.

#18 3 years ago

Quick google found this but you’ll need to confirm this with the IRS rules. Per the new meals and entertainment rules that started in 2018:

100% deduction allowed for qualified employee recreation, social, or similar activities (such as a Christmas party, annual picnic, or summer outing) and related facility costs (such as a swimming pool, baseball diamond, bowling alley, or golf course) which are primarily for the benefit of non-highly compensated employees

#21 3 years ago

Yeah. I’m sure a ton of professional sports teams lost a lot of season ticket holders too as those used to be deductible but aren’t anymore.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

All that stuff used to be 100% tax deductible. I believe (trying to remember from college tax class) that congress lowered it to 50% deductible because of the golf courses Bethlehem Steel was buying just for their execs to play at.

It’s still 100% and you just have to make sure it’s not for the highly compensated employees only. Having trouble finding the full IRS details of the current rule though.

#26 3 years ago

I know. But there was actual accounting shit to be learned there!

At the end of the day, you report this as a business expense or asset, what is it really saving you in taxes? Not much.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-tax-deductible?tu=chuckwurt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.