(Topic ID: 129069)

Pinball Tag Challenges - Ever Been Done Before?

By jeffpm

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jeffpm
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bag-Tag-1.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I am a casual disc golf player, and one of the things in that hobby which I think is pretty cool is something called "bag tag challenges". They are fun challenges meant to promote friendly competition within the community. Here's an example of how it works in disc golf. http://www.explorediscgolf.com/encouraging-friendly-competition-through-disc-golf-bag-tags/

Long story short, a player with a higher numbered tag can challenge a player with a lower numbered tag to a round of disc golf. If the higher number players wins the match, the players swap tags. The goal is to have the #1 tag (lowest number) at the end of the challenge. Players must always carry their tag with them while playing and should be easily visible.

I think the general principle of the tag challenge would translate well to pinball - specifically within a league or community, and would generate some friendly competition. Has anything like this ever been done in pinball?
    Here's some brief rules I thought of.

- Challenge organizer purchases X amount of tags, which are numbered 1-X. Since pinball players don't always carry bags with them, I think a keychain might be more appropriate.
    - Challenge runs for some fixed period of time (6, 12 months)
    - Player pays $20 to enter the challenge and receive a numbered tag. Tag numbers are assigned to players based on league rank, IFPA rank, etc.
    - A higher numbered player can challenge a lower numbered player WITHIN 3 ranks in person, through email, internet, etc.
    - The challenged player must establish a time/place within 2 weeks for the match to take place. If the challenged player cannot reasonably establish a match time, they must forfeit their tag to the challenger and then receive the highest available tag number.
    - Matches can take place at a league night, tournament, or any other established time.
    - Matches are played in a best of 3 games format. The challenged player gets to select the first machine and position. Loser of a game gets to select either next machine or position.
    - A player who successfully defended their number in a match does not have to accept a rematch from the challenger if neither player has played another match in between.
    - After 3 matches in one day, a player has the right to refuse new matches for that day.

What do you guys think?

Bag-Tag-1.jpgBag-Tag-1.jpg
    #2 8 years ago

Very interesting Idea. My brother and I were actually talking about doing something like this during league meets. We called it ladder style play.

If you do it during a regular league meet, then a bunch of challenges can happen in a single evening.

I'm really liking this idea.

#3 8 years ago

Yeah, I think it would be a fun way to supplement league play, especially since it's head to head. I suppose you could do group matches as well, but I'm not sure how that would work with a best of 3 series. Would have to make some changes there.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-tag-challenges-ever-been-done-before and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.