8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by keithm
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider keithm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I got 156 fine pinball aficionados to help me with the survey I posted last week, everyone from players, collectors, arcade operators & repair folks. Super appreciated!

The full results with pretty graphs & stuff are still available here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BDBHMMD I'll still be taking responses until the end of the month, but I need to start putting together the first of several class presentations, so I'm working out data on the first 156.

If you want to see the results without taking the survey you can view this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-6MF2XVF2/

A couple folks requested I share the results here, so I wrote a brief summary of each question below.

1. What’s your opinion on new pinball games compared to those in past decades?

Majority of respondents (45%) say modern pinball is neither better nor worse than classic games. Not a slam dunk, though, as 29% think they’re better and 26% say they aren’t as good. Basic conclusion is that pinball could evolve with a few risks.

Notable comments:
    • Flimsy materials and components lead to constant repairs (new games).
    • Innovations limited in new games, less thought and effort in theme, artwork, etc., compared to older games.
    o But older companies had more resources, development and testing.
    • 90s considered golden decade of pinball.
    • Software & technology improving, but art & themes aren’t as good.
    • Code…gotta get the code in the best shape possible before shipping.

2. The pinball machines I own are:

Majority in this sample owns mostly games older than five years—49% (77 of 156 answers). In second were people who own an equal mix of the two at 32% (50 collectors). Suggests a healthy interest in the new games, but there is a much stronger passion for the older ones.

3. Most modern machines are based on licensed properties:

Half of the responses (49%) don’t care about theme as long as the game is good. Doubt that means they’d play a game with a controversial theme, but suggests that pinball machines don’t have to be attached to a license—a theory also supported by the 44% of respondents who wish there were more original themes.
    • Another complaint here about Photoshopping of images. Collectors really love original artwork in their pins.

4. Modern pinball too complex?

78% say NO. Only 31 comments regarding this question, but among them:
    • Many favorite machines were favorites before understanding the idea of planning shots, which made them like games even more.
    • Games increase appeal when you understand deeper rules.
    • Twilight Zone failed on location for complexity, but has since become one of the most popular pins because of that complexity.
    • People seek more instant gratification, generally speaking (and probably not referring to pinheads). They should be more rewarding on the first few plays for people who aren’t wizards.
    • Many comments note that deep rules alienate new players, which is another reason they don’t show up on location anymore.
    • Should be able to tell a newbie what to do in a sentence or two, but still have that complex rule-set and shot combo for advanced players.

5. Unique feature ideas:

People generally hated my most technologically driven ideas, touchless flippers and use of touchpads in the game. The most popular choices on my list:
    • Ability to influence magnet effect on ball, 56%.
    • Film or animations in playfield or backglass—NOT DMD, 53%
    • Playfield audio and lighting telling you what to do next, 54%.

I wonder if people would like the touchless option if it involved controlling the magnet? The next three popular choices were interesting:
    • Deeper storytelling, 45%
    • Option to insert music or images, 40%
    • Flippers in non-traditional places, 38%
    Deeper story confirms many like pinball when it goes beyond game mechanics (Medieval Madness comes to mind). Options to add your own content make sense, seeing the popularity of customization in pinball.

6. Features most important in great pinball game?

Cool shots by far most important (69%), which seems pretty obvious as I mull over the goal of this question. Interesting that theme and deep ruleset ranked lowest here at 46% for each, further suggesting that licensed themes and complexity aren’t essential to a good pinball machine.

7. Problems in modern pinball?

55% of respondents said YES there are issues in pinball that need fixing, though only 49 of 156 of them offered their opinions. Among the notable ones:
    • Games break too much, killing location profits and too expensive to maintain. Games need to be easier to maintain and reliable.
    o Easier to maintain? How?
    • “Art of women on the machine should have a reason to be there other than titties.” A familiar—controversial—topic on Pinside.
    • More diversity in themes to attract people outside the traditional market, such as women and kids.
    • Price! Pinball expensive, the most common opinion here.
    • Coding issues on new games is frustrating, and should be mostly resolved before shipping.
    • Pinball complexity for newbies repeated here.

8. If considering purchasing a new machine that wasn’t produced yet:

No-brainer here, as 80% of respondents need to play an actual machine before making a purchase. This seems to run contrary to what I’ve heard online, but recent boutique disasters are probably influencing this. The idea of using Kickstarter as a funding option to develop games was hugely unpopular in this question, which makes me wonder what it would take for a new pinball startup to get running...someone with deep pockets.

9. What would help bring new players to pinball?

No choices here, only a text field, and 110 people were awesome to respond. The biggest answer by far was getting more machines out into the wild. Second most common response was getting more competitive pinball going through tournaments to increase visibility.

Other notable comments:
    • Increased pinball education, either through the game itself, events, tournaments, sponsored events (Redbull), etc.
    • Again, reducing game complexity for newer players.

10. Given today’s many entertainment options, what keeps you excited about pinball?

Also text answers only, and 115 people responded. Not sure what I was expecting to find in this question, but it seems pretty obvious when I look at the most common answers:
    • The physicality & interactivity of the game.
    • The community/social aspect.
    • Nostalgia.
    • One dude had a silly answer related to the Baywatch art that I’ll let you explore for yourself!
    • No two games are ever the same.

#3 8 years ago

Done! Thanks for letting me know. The link below should give full access without having to take the survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-6MF2XVF2/

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider keithm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-survey-results?tu=keithm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.