(Topic ID: 47417)

Pinball Survey (Help needed for College Thesis Project)

By NoClassHuman

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by 4_amusement_only
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Hello all,

I am nearing completion of my bachelors degree in business and currently working on my senior thesis project. I am doing my thesis on the perpetual rise and fall of pinball and have created a short 15 question multiple choice survey to assist in my research. If you have a spare moment please take the survey. Please keep in mind this survey is going out to the non pinball crowd as well so some of the questions are general in nature, have only one response, or may make you put some thought into your answer. I have already posted the survey to rgp and the the NE pinball forum so if you took the survey there's no need to take it again here. I will post results of the survey once it's all said and done.

Thanks in advance for your participation!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PINBALL_SURVEY

Jim

#2 6 years ago

Good luck to you with your thesis. I did mine, years and years ago now, on the drinking card game Presidents and Assholes. LOL, I don't know if anyone remembers that game now or if it has changed its name or whatever.

#3 6 years ago

survey completed. remember me in your commencement speech.

#4 6 years ago

sacrificed a little time for the sake of education

#5 6 years ago

done. good luck with it

#6 6 years ago

Done. Would like to hear what you conclude about the pinball industry. Good luck on your thesis!

#7 6 years ago

You didn't account for non-US participants so I couldn't complete it, sorry! All the best with your thesis

#8 6 years ago

Good luck!

#10 6 years ago

survey done.

#12 6 years ago

Survey completed.

#14 6 years ago

Good luck, survey completed!

#15 6 years ago

Completed, good luck.

#17 6 years ago

Let us know the survey results when you are done.

#18 6 years ago

what are you trying to conclude from the questions you asked?

#19 6 years ago

Completed. Good luck!

#20 6 years ago

Done. Please remember to post your conclusions.

A bit of unsolicited advice: be careful about the conclusions you draw based upon your sample. Pinsiders are hardly representative of the general populace. (If anything, we're nearly the general pop's opposite!) Who is responding to your survey is just as important as what your respondents say.

The question about the number of pins the respondents have purchased in the past year will help to sort the results. To me, that is the most important variable. It also would have been interesting to include a question about participation in an online forum or other pinball-related group.

#21 6 years ago

completed.. question 10 doesn't make sense in this community, answer is of course yes

Are you sure this is a college project and not gary stern?

#22 6 years ago

Done.

#23 6 years ago

Done. Looking forward to seeing the results posted here.

#24 6 years ago

Thanks to everyone for taking the survey and providing feedback! Will posts results after completion.

Accidental - sorry about not including locations outside US...will fix next time around

Maddog - Im trying to prove that pinball can survive and thrive even in a downed economy. Thats where the survey questions should back up my research.

Craig - thanks for the feedback...the survey has gone out to non-pinheads final results should be interesting. I was limited to 15 questions but you do bring up a good point about the forums.

Toyotaboy - Q10 is a given for us within the pin community but not for the general pop. Currently there are 8.12% of people surveyed that would not purchase a pin in todays economy. And yes this is a college project and not Gary Stern...promise...haha

#26 6 years ago

Done...hope it helps!

#27 6 years ago

Completed. Good luck, Jim. When you graduate and become CEO of Stern (or otherwise), please remember to authorize a Zombie pin.

#28 6 years ago

Done. Was going to leave the same feedback as Craig but sounds like you got it covered!

#30 6 years ago

done... please post synopsis when you crunch the data... good luck, although as someone else noted, it would be more interesting (and "prove" more) to apply the survey to non-pinheads (rather than pinheads), as you are essentially preaching to the choir here... it's similar to going into an amish community and doing a survey on buggy whips to try and prove the viability of a buggy whip factory...

point is, you are going to get wildly different results depending on the population of your survey...

side note/suggestion: some questions need a "n/a" as a response, otherwise, you may skew your results... on question 12, for example, i just randomly picked an answer, as i wouldn't buy any of them...

#31 6 years ago

no one buys more machines than pinsiders. we spend our days on pinside, we debate the "value" of $5k vs $7k, it's a warped reality.

#33 6 years ago

Done.

#34 6 years ago

Killed it.

#35 6 years ago

done

2 years later
    #37 3 years ago

And what were your results?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 99.00
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 169.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 149.00
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Latenight Weeknight Mods
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 239.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 20.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 7.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside