Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by wbradley
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Just ordered one myself. Free shipping too. This is a great price and polk seems to be doing their own ebay selling on close outs now. Good for us! I have all Polk home system and they sound spectacular.

ebay.com link: PSW10 10 Powered Subwoofer Speaker 110v Polk Audio

#2 12 years ago

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Monitor-10-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/accessories/B00030CHQ2

-These aren't refurbed, and come with free shipping as well.

#3 12 years ago

Thanks. I ordered one

#4 12 years ago

Well played!

#5 12 years ago

Another idea to be thrown out there at the same price... I bought one last week. Amazing (but somewhat bulky... barely fits under the cabinet)

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-635

#6 12 years ago

The amazon link is $10 cheaper at $90. I'd just go with them.

Quoted from ninjabones:

Another idea to be thrown out there at the same price... I bought one last week. Amazing (but somewhat bulky... barely fits under the cabinet)

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-635

#7 12 years ago

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to wire these up to a pin?

Thanks!

#8 12 years ago

^basically just some alligator clips, speaker wire, and a sacrificial RCA plug - clips onto original subs +/-, wire up RCA plug, insert into Left or Right input (or just use alligator clips, and connect the speaker wire to the left/right inputs)

#9 12 years ago

A buddy of mine just typed this up to me in an email a couple weeks ago. I'm copying/pasting.

"Yeah the self powered sub is a piece of cake. Most ext self powered subs have 2 speaker lines in (positive/negative) so you run a pair of wires from the speaker in the cabinet and the big speaker in the backbox thru the back of the game and to the sub. The sub will then play the low/base sounds for the game that went to the cheap original game speakers. That is pretty much it. And if you don't want the sub on it or you want to sell the game, you simply unhook the wires from the speakers and you are done. The cabinet speaker is 1 channel and the 2 backbox speaker are actually 1 channel (2 speakers in parallel but from the same source). It is pretty easy and the game stays original using the self powered sub. And the fast that the sub is self powered, it doesn't require any extra juice from the game to work!"

#10 12 years ago

I ordered a black one through Amazon. I guess we'll see how it goes.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

A buddy of mine just typed this up to me in an email a couple weeks ago. I'm copying/pasting.
    "Yeah the self powered sub is a piece of cake. Most ext self powered subs have 2 speaker lines in (positive/negative) so you run a pair of wires from the speaker in the cabinet and the big speaker in the backbox thru the back of the game and to the sub. The sub will then play the low/base sounds for the game that went to the cheap original game speakers. That is pretty much it. And if you don't want the sub on it or you want to sell the game, you simply unhook the wires from the speakers and you are done. The cabinet speaker is 1 channel and the 2 backbox speaker are actually 1 channel (2 speakers in parallel but from the same source). It is pretty easy and the game stays original using the self powered sub. And the fast that the sub is self powered, it doesn't require any extra juice from the game to work!"

Better to just clip the 2 terminals of the large cabinet speaker and connect those to the sub input. No need to touch the backbox speakers.

#12 12 years ago

If you don't hook up both the large cab speaker, and the backbox speakers, I don't think you are going to get all the low end audio through the sub. There is audio that gets played in the backbox speakers that doesn't in the cab speaker.

Quoted from StevenP:

Better to just clip the 2 terminals of the large cabinet speaker and connect those to the sub input. No need to touch the backbox speakers.

#13 12 years ago

The sub should only need the tones going to the factory sub. The Polk sub has high level inputs for speaker wire. You can unhook the factory sub and add wire to the end and connect to the powered sub.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

I ordered a black one through Amazon. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Keep us posted I am pondering doing this as well but not sure how it will sound in the end. Please let us know what you think once your done.

Quoted from coasterguy:

The sub should only need the tones going to the factory sub. The Polk sub has high level inputs for speaker wire. You can unhook the factory sub and add wire to the end and connect to the powered sub.

Have you tried this yet Coaster? If so what do you think does it sound pretty good?

#15 12 years ago

I will. I have it on good authority that it will kick ass. To each their own though, but I've spent $90 on dumber things

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Keep us posted I am pondering doing this as well but not sure how it will sound in the end. Please let us know what you think once your done.

#16 12 years ago

I was thinking of going to other direction and installed ear bud jacks in the cabinet. My boys had a bunch of kids over this weekend and when 7 pins are playing at the same time it gets pretty loud. I even have then turned pretty low but it just gets to where you cannot hear you own game.

I was thinking about trying to tap into the wiring and add a volume for each ear bud as well. Subs in each machine would be insane.

#17 12 years ago

I have not yet. I hear from others it's the only way to go.

#18 12 years ago

Anybody have pictures to share of what it looks like when hooked up properly?

#19 12 years ago

Just tried wiring a powered sub that I had to TZ. Sounds nice!
    However, probably wouldn't make an impact on most titles. Depends on the sound bites.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-sub-amazing-price and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.