Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pinslot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Here is a lighthearted thread...

For me pinball is usually a stress relief but then there are those games like when I have a 15 minute first ball on LOTR and I am closing in on a high score...really stressful!

I have a friend who comes over and is totally stressed out and on edge evey game he plays. Definately stressful for him.

What about you?

#2 11 years ago

Stress relief to play, but, between having to fix the games, planning my next fix, wondering what's going to break next, and wondering why some things aren't quite working right, I'd say the hobby overall is causing more stress than it relieves. Still fun though.

#3 11 years ago

Definitely stress relief for me. I really enjoy the hobby and playing pinball, I just don't take it that serious. I enjoy working on them and keeping them spotless clean as much as I enjoy playing them, it's part of the fun. Don't get stressed, after all, it's just pinball.

#4 11 years ago

Usually stress relieving

#5 11 years ago

Reading some pinball threads and realizing I probably paid too much for my NIB...stressful!

#6 11 years ago

Stressful!

Especially lately. I've got close to Valinor a couple times in the last few weeks. STRESSFUL!

But still a feeling of accomplishment, just getting somewhat close.

Bottom line: I can play for fun, or I can play competitively with my mind made up that I want to get to a wizard mode like Valinor, BFTK, or Portal, and failure to get there is stressful.

Of course my best games are always when I just play for fun! Then they get stressful towards the end. lol

#7 11 years ago

paying for and picking up a pin that you got for a great deal - stressful.

#8 11 years ago

It really depends for me. I've had Whirlwind piss me off to the point that I had to turn it off and walk away before I broke something. TSPP can also make me angry. I often have games on AFM where it was a blast and I felt great afterwards, very stress relieving. Same for TAF.

#9 11 years ago

Both

#10 11 years ago

If I'm having a good game, it's stress relieving.
    Usually though, it's stress-inducing.

#11 11 years ago

Stress relieving playing, stressful buying.

#12 11 years ago

When things are going well it is a zen like trance. I am a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar. When every single bounce leads to a drain I can be a foul mouthed temple of rage. I guess it evens out in the end.

#13 11 years ago

Let's see here:
    - 2 young kids
    - 1 wife
    - 1 business to run
    - 1 basketball team to coach, 2 baseball teams to coach each year
    - etc....... (I could go on and on)

Pinball machines:
    - Only thing that keeps me sane! Definitely a stress release for me. Love working on them, keeping them in tip top shape and playing them. It's all good

#14 11 years ago

"It's only Pinball" Rudys voice on TZ.No stress/all fun

#15 11 years ago

Ya gotta BREATH when ya play! Does no one on here do yoga?

#16 11 years ago

Stressful.

LTG : )

#17 11 years ago

For me the only stressful part is wondering which parts I should acquire now just in case I might need them some day when they are no longer available.

#18 11 years ago

It's funny you mention about breathing...

I have learned that when I apprach a wizard mode and the music gets me exited, I take deep breaths and try not to let the music stress me. Only problem is that it does take a little of the exitement out of it. But it is a great feeling of accomplishment. I have been doing this lately on the Stiff-O-Meter and many times complete it. What a feeling!

#19 11 years ago

Depends on the day.

#20 11 years ago

Stress relief. If it wasn't I'd sell the pins and buy a fishing pole or something.

#21 11 years ago

Fishing now thats stress.Load the boat,tow the boat,fiqure the tides,launch,avoid the drunks,deploy the surethings,explain why it takes time,preach patience,sigh,load the boat,tow the boat,clean the boat,explain why you love fishing...play pinball

#22 11 years ago

Pinball whats not to love. I scream and yell at the top of my lungs and then laugh like a little kid.

#23 11 years ago

Stress relieving! Stressfull when I can't find a good fixerupper to purchase at a good price.

#24 11 years ago

EVERYTHING is stressful to me lol. Anyways, it's a fun, and mostly relaxing hobby, but everytime I fire one up, I hear the clock "ticking" away. It's reminding me that at some point, this bastard is gonna break on me. But, there is probably nothing more satisfying to me than troubleshooting and fixing these games. It amazes me at times that I can actually fix these lol...

#25 11 years ago

Selling or buying pins is stressful I feel.

Playing and fixing them, very stress relieving. Especially if you fix something or get to a mini wiz mode or wizard mode even.

#26 11 years ago

It's like a round of golf in a shorter time span. Can start of GREAT, then you lose 2 balls due to dumb luck or decisions. Maybe that's why I love / hate it? Stressful or fun depends on the end result.

#27 11 years ago

Both, but more than not I get relief.

#28 11 years ago

I love the golf analogy. I am an avid golfer and never really thought of the parallel until now.

Obviously, the net result for all of us is stress relieving otherwise we would not be in it however it is fun hearing of both sides from everyone.

#29 11 years ago

totally agree, for the most part stress relieving, but when you are close to your high score, or have to hit the sol hole to rule the universe , blood pressure is probably rising rather than dropping. Often play a few game after working late, and need to relax before trying to fall asleep.

#30 11 years ago

There are a few Pinsiders that are always angry about something. Stern, Jack, prices, quality, etc. Sad really; it's pinball - it's supposed to be fun.

#31 11 years ago

Pinball is perfect for me because between work and family life I just don't have enough time in the day to relieve my stress via console games like when I was younger. Pinball is great you don't need to invest a lot of time because you either have a great game which can last up to 10-15 minutes or a bad one in under 5 minutes and still feel satisfied.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from DnDPins:

Here is a lighthearted thread...
    For me pinball is usually a stress relief but then there are those games like when I have a 15 minute first ball on LOTR and I am closing in on a high score...really stressful!
    I have a friend who comes over and is totally stressed out and on edge evey game he plays. Definately stressful for him.
    What about you?

Stressful. Then again, so is everything else. 8-0

#33 11 years ago

I'm going with ... BOTH

4 years later
    #34 6 years ago

Bump/Resurrect

Stress relief for me, for sure....

#35 6 years ago

Playing is neutral,... but if a NIB game doesn't work as it should I get stressed.

If I buy a shithole and resurrect it overtime it's an absolute stress relief.

Therefore I plan to stop expensive NIB purchases. All this ruckus about loosing value if I'd ever sell it kinda gets to me.

#36 6 years ago

What is this stress you speak of? Stress on the fingertips maybe.

#37 6 years ago

100% stress releiving. Nothing beats the steel ball on wood after a day of starting at the computer screen.

#38 6 years ago

Definately stress relief for me too. I dont know about anyone else but i tend to totally forget about absolutely everything when i play pinball and i totally zone out.

#39 6 years ago

Both, but hopefully more stress relief than stress causing.

#40 6 years ago

Sad thing is when I think of pinball I think of working on them, perfecting them, detailing them and lightly modding them. I like turning them into improved works of art. I don't think of playing them that much, although I do. It is a stress reliever for me to work on them but also stressful as I'm an inpatient person and want to finish them and obsess about what I'm going to do next or how to fix an issue. Yeah, I'm the guy you want to buy your pins from, because I have OCD about them being perfect. I often have to tell myself to calm down, relax, you'll get to it when you have time. I feel anxious yet ambitious about finishing a game. It's hard to explain but I'm crazy. I'll stay up until 2 am working on a game and wake up at 5 am before my kids wake up just so I can finish it.

#41 6 years ago

Both for me. I don't think I would play it if it was always stressful. It's fun to take a bit and play some games and relax, but it's stressful when you have to shoot a shot and have 5 seconds left to do it.

#42 6 years ago

ULTIMATE stress reliever. I have an extremely stressful job. I’ve found nothing that matches pinball in stress relief.

Even when I work extra late I still try to play pinball every day. Good way to get my mind off work and settle down before bed.

Even if I just go down and work on games instead of playing, great stress relief for me.

#43 6 years ago

Once in a while I'll give one of my pins a loud "oh f--- you!" when a shot goes bad or I drain with an extra ball shot lit. Then I realize how stupid that sounds, and laugh my ass off. Stress and de-stress at the same time.

Same goes for working on them. It's very relaxing: cleaning, polishing, tinkering, soldering. But too many times have I brought home a new game, taken off parts to clean them up, only to scratch or snap in half a part that existed perfectly fine for thirty-odd years until I got my paws on it. Now that's stressful.

#44 6 years ago

Stressful. Something is always broken and my OCD won't allow me to sleep. I stare at the ceiling thinking about the best way to fix it, the parts I need to buy, etc.. Then something else breaks... rinse, repeat.

#45 6 years ago

The actual playing of the pins is definitely a stress release, so long as you don’t get too crazy if you’re not playing well.

But as others have mentioned the maintenance costs/time can actually add stress to this hobby. The more games you add, the more chances you’ll have of games breaking down.

#46 6 years ago

Playing with friends or tinkering with an EM or EE is fun. I quit competing in formal tournaments because that really started to stress me out.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-stressful-or-stress-relieving?hl=jreedie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.