Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20170221-091205 (resized).png
    cropped-vfw1mod (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

just want to play lots of pinball. How do the shows compare? Which typically have the most machines on free play?

is this all you are interested in? If you really JUST want to play great playing pins then without question the only place to visit is VFW.

As much as I have issue with Clay for the whole Predator BS, the guy has the nicest playing collection of diverse pins anywhere.

VFW is well worth the visit to play lots of games. It does get super packed on the good stuff (despite the limited ticket sales, most people are not there for the older games so there are lines for the popular games), but if you like oddballs and older games then you can play a ton in short order.

If you want more than just playing, then MGC is the best show for pure entertainment value/ # of games /social aspect. Also with the new venue I think they will have more space than any other show out there and should not be elbows and butts. Excited to have it in a real city now also with lots of easily accessible stuff outside of the actual show.

TPF is also a very fun show. Huge space, lots of games, fun people, and it seems to be taking over as the announcment show also. It is in the middle of nowhere so outside of the show there is not much to do.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

East coast, lots of pinball? No question...ReplayFX.

unfortunately if he does not want to compete then ReplayFx is a bad show to go to.

The vast majority of games are used in the big tournament. After the main tournament they open up a good chunk of games to the general public (during finals) but IME they pretty much stopped maintaining them for the weekend by then so lots of broken down and stuff that had already been put through the paces of long days of tournament play. ReplayFX has a huge list of games but what is open to the general public and what is actually worth playing by the time it is open to the public is far fewer unfortunately.

I think Replay also shows how moving games can be hard on them. This sames games when at the old PAPA facility all played extremely well.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from nsduprr:

Total Gottlieb machines: 75
    Total Bally machines: 112
    Total Williams machines: 91
    Total Chicago Coin machines: 9
    Total Dataeast machines: 17
    Total Capcom machines: 2
    Total Classic Stern machines: 19
    Total New Stern machines: 21
    Total Other makes: 43
    Total 1950s machines: 21
    Total 1960s machines: 26
    Total 1970s machines: 70
    Total 1980s machines: 151
    Total 1990s machines: 80
    Total 2000s machines: 22
    Total EM arcade machines: 19
    Total EM machines: 132
    Total SS machines: 257
    Total Machines (all types): 389

I think it is always important for people to realize that while VFW has an amazing total count of games, over 50% are likely not going to appeal to the majority of pinheads (nothing wrong with that). I mention it because I see the constant hype of the numbers but have also witnessed first hand the people that walk alway saying 1 day is enough due to so many of the games not being what they are in to (and the popular ones having a line to play).

Lots of EMs and oddballs, while enjoyed by me, are not considered fun by much of the more casual pin playing population.

In short, dont oversell the VFW show. It already sells out every year anyway, so I see no reason to oversell as it just leads to false expecatations.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

WEll pinball expo in Chicago does not have the largest amount of games overall it still offers the most variety of any show.. We have a great variety of vendors, A factory tour of Stern pinball plant, a large amount of industry people now and in the past ,The most seminars of any show and a banquet which always features a pinball celebrity . Out tournament is second only to REPLAY as far as payouts. WE have been running 33 consectutive years .Our 2017 show is next week see http://www.pinballexpo.com for all details

I can say after being to expo for mutiple years, it is definately not worth the cost to travel to if flying. It is a very expensive show to attend (just hotel and show/seminar tickets).

Sorry Mike but hard reality is Expo is way down the list in overall # of games and diversity of games to play. It is NOT the show to attend for someone looking to play games.

It is fun for the epxerience, but the OP is asking about shows where he can play lots of games.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-shows-in-n-america-compared?tu=Whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.