(Topic ID: 188920)

Pinball show in Northern N.J.

By cjpins

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I'm retiring soon and I have been doing pinball now for 35 plus years. I would have the time and maybe the effort to try to organize a show here in Bergen county NJ to try and give back to the hobby which I have a passion for. Any input, ideas and or support would be much appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

If you build it, they will come.

#3 6 years ago

It's a great idea, but my personal feeling is that there may be a glut of shows in this area already. You've got Pinfest in May, Pintastic in July, and York in October. JJP was doing that mini-show in August down in Lakewood, but I'm not sure how successful that even was (or if it can even be called a "show"...which I think it probably can't). I'd love to see a Jersey show, and would be an enthusiastic customer. Just not sure how successful it would be at this point.

#4 6 years ago

Maybe in the winter, January time? Its a huge commitment...

#5 6 years ago

GREAT idea! Some of those other shows I don't consider being local (York) ...Even Allentown is an hour and a half. Whatever I could do to help, just let me know...

#6 6 years ago

Kevin at classic used to do a great show in wayne, NJ. I'm sure he can give you some advice.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

GREAT idea! Some of those other shows I don't consider being local (York) ...Even Allentown is an hour and a half. Whatever I could do to help, just let me know...

An hour and a half is still local. My point was that a lot of people come down from Canada or up from the south or even from the west for NE pinball shows. Starting a new one now would be a tough road because you have to convince people who aren't local to make the trip to the NJ show instead of other more established shows...or make the trip to both, which people seldom do. You can't populate a new show with only the locals.

Again, I'm 100% behind this idea...just playing devil's advocate!

#8 6 years ago

I'm IN. Im located in Mahwah. Have always wanted a show here and have venues. PM me

#9 6 years ago

Anyone look into what an Atlantic City Show would take? Just thinking of large convention spaces that would accommodate Free Play, Vendor, Indoor Flea Market space, and have enough "Attraction" to bring in what beelzeboob has mentioned: Not just the locals.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Kevin at classic used to do a great show in wayne, NJ. I'm sure he can give you some advice.

Yes. Contact Kevin McHugh CLASSICPINBALL . He's the the NJ show Jedi.

#11 6 years ago

This would be nice, lots of collectors in NJ.

#12 6 years ago

Either PM me or email me at [email protected]. I have multiple venues in mind.
    -Michael Schnoll from Mahwah

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phillips88:

an Atlantic City Show

This I like.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Yes. Contact Kevin McHugh classicpinball . He's the the NJ show Jedi.

CJ knows Kevin very well, and we all fondly remember Kevin's NJ shows at the Wayne Elks Lodge. It was a great show, and only an hour from me, but my only complaint was that it was a one day only show. It was held in August, and now with Pintastic in July, it might be tough to fit another northeast show in during the warm weather months. I would certainly support it if it happens though.

#15 6 years ago

I'm in Chris. I'll volunteer my time for the event .

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phillips88:

Not just the locals.

Yes, but there are a LOT of locals. The tri-state area is big money and all within 45 minutes.....

#17 6 years ago

What about a private show limited to like 50-75 pinsiders?

With a show like that, I would bring a machine like Batman 66 LE to...I would never bring that machine to pinfest or other open shows.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phillips88:

Anyone look into what an Atlantic City Show would take? Just thinking of large convention spaces that would accommodate Free Play, Vendor, Indoor Flea Market space, and have enough "Attraction" to bring in what beelzeboob has mentioned: Not just the locals.

There is a 15-week "Atlantic City Fan Xpo" convention going on this summer that is still looking for programming to fill some of the weeks. It looks like more of a "nerd/geek" con with eSports, board games, comics, etc. They already booked the Showboat hotel for space, and could be open to doing a pinball show one of the weekends if someone reached out to them (I would but I only have one machine). Not sure what the attendance will be because this is their first year doing it and everything is coming together late, but it might be a way to have an AC show without doing much legwork (i.e. arranging the space, marketing, etc.). The website is https://acfxpo.com/

#19 6 years ago

This would be great. Why not collaborate with JJP on this? They're not quite North, but I feel like they're central enough to make it tangible for people. They attempted to have a small lineup with their last open house last year. They seem to definitely have to floor space to support a decent amount of games.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

This would be great. Why not collaborate with JJP on this? They're not quite North, but I feel like they're central enough to make it tangible for people. They attempted to have a small lineup with their last open house last year. They seem to definitely have to floor space to support a decent amount of games.

Won't that eliminate Stern?

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Won't that eliminate Stern?

The first JJP show had Iron Man VE, Metallica, Mustang...there might have been one more new Stern, but I can't really remember.

I own Iron Man VE today, because of that show. It was the first time I ever played it.

#22 6 years ago

So what's going on? Is this going to happen?Also, have you looked at the venues that I pm'd you?

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from cjpins:

I'm retiring soon and I have been doing pinball now for 35 plus years. I would have the time and maybe the effort to try to organize a show here in Bergen county NJ to try and give back to the hobby which I have a passion for. Any input, ideas and or support would be much appreciated.

I'd be happy to pitch in. Bergen County is home, and I've been wondering forever why there isn't a NY Metro area show.

#24 6 years ago

I'd bring a game to a northern NJ show. And assist with any needs before/during the event however I can.

1 week later
    #25 6 years ago

So is this going to happen??

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from cjpins:

Why Bergen CT if you live in New City!? Just invite me over and we'll brainstorm it!

#27 6 years ago

This would be great I miss Kevin's show, it has been too long since we had something in our area. Allentown is good, but I miss the smaller fall show too. Jack's open house is fun and very generous but as others have said really shouldn't be considered a show. Something in North Jersey is ideal. I would help out.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phillips88:

AC is a great idea!! Pins & gambling.

#29 6 years ago

Chris do u have any plans of this happening? I haven't heard anything from you.

#30 6 years ago

Update I've been talking to a few people about help with the show and what needs to be done to get it off the ground and make it successful I'm also looking for places I can have it in any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thinking of doing a fall show. Thanks for everyone's input so far.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from cjpins:

Update I've been talking to a few people about help with the show and what needs to be done to get it off the ground and make it successful I'm also looking for places I can have it in any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thinking of doing a fall show. Thanks for everyone's input so far.

Did you/are you looking at any of the venues I sent you? I've been wondering. You can pm me if you want.

#32 6 years ago

I have been talking with my partner who produces large conventions and festivals in Atlantic City about doing a show/tournament

#33 6 years ago

Asbury Park in September would be amazing

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from cjpins:

What about the Elks Club Lodge where Kevin used to have his show?

#35 6 years ago

October perhaps but then you're just after York and lots of us enjoy College Football. August is hot and Forceflow has one cooking near Saratoga. That appeals to
    Me because the racetrack is close and I could run up and grab some bacon from Oscar's Smokehouse . Best bacon on planet Earth. Either way good luck on this.

#36 6 years ago

I feel that it's hard to do a show between July 4th and Labor Day (with the exception of pintastic). I can certainly see a small November, December, or March show here in Bergen/Passaic county. The dead of winter and summer is just not a good time of year for most people in this area. The spring and fall already has pinball shows. Chris id appreciate it if u can please let me know if you are looking at the venues I informed you of.

1 month later
    #37 6 years ago

It's been over a month of silence on this thread. I know I've asked this before but will this actually be happening?? Have there been any developments?

#38 6 years ago

I would venture to say no. Good idea for sure. Now that summer is here, it's hard to work on a show.

4 months later
    #39 6 years ago

Is this still a thing?

#40 6 years ago

This thread is dead. I think it's all over.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-show-in-northern-nj?hl=schnollms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.