Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by cottonm4
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

grandma-putbull (resized).jpg
    IMG_2197 (resized).JPG
    500_F_99127707_uboPj1pberi3a1imA48oQ4MQudNwzURk (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Over the weekend I was having a little get together at my house. You know the usual, beer, food and arcade games and of course pinball. Now my dog wears one of those invisible fence type collars but it is one of the ones that you set the transmitter somewhere and it makes a radius area where the dog can go. Think it uses 2.4 ghz radio waves like a cordless phone does. I have only been collecting for a month now so a month ago I had zero games. Now I got 4, two pinballs and two arcade games. I went to let my dog out the back door which I don't do all the time but never had any issues before. This back door is right where all the games are at as well. He was fine once he walked in the room, however once he started going out the door, his collar started beeping and going off like he was outside his boundaries. Now the poor guy is afraid to even go in that room. Since this never happened before, I can only assume the games were causing some type of interference. Anyone else have anything like this happen. I did have the arcade games on before when I let him out that way, so I can only it's the pinball machines causing it

#2 5 years ago

Take the collar off the dog and walk past the games, turning it in every direction.

If it responds, turn the games off one by one until you find the bad one.

Replace the line filter on the trouble maker.

#3 5 years ago

To be absolutely sure, put the collar on your neck and walk around the room to confirm, I'm sure the dog will back me up on this one.

#4 5 years ago

saw that coming a few miles away

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from tomtest:

To be absolutely sure, put the collar on your neck and walk around the room to confirm, I'm sure the dog will back me up on this one.

To dam funny lololol.

#6 5 years ago

Be sure to include video of you walking around with the dog collar on looking for problem! No disrespect, but that would be damn funny!

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from tomtest:

I feel sorry for the dog. Those collars are cruel and not unusual punishment.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Out here they use these collars in rattlesnake training classes with dogs.
    I.E. those collars will save your dogs life if you live in a rural area and have a small breed or a breed with low fat content like a greyhound that can't metabolize the venom.
    Bare minimum save your dog a lot of pain and a vet bill.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I.E. those collars will save your dogs life if you live in a rural area and have a small breed or a breed with low fat content like a greyhound that can't metabolize the venom.

That is a great use of the product.

The rest of us should build a fence.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Where I live the HOA bans fences. We have a nice plumbed shower pan on the deck covered in artificial grass for the day to day business, but take them out on leash to the real grass a lot too.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

If you lived in a nice neighborhood that does not allow fences, it's the collar or getting run over by a car.

Once the dog learns that the beep gets higher pitched before the zap comes, they avoid the beeps altogether.

#12 5 years ago

Yes, most dogs get shocked once then they listen for the beep and back up.

And the shock is not bad, I've tested many collars and it isn't bad at all.

Sheesh you guys would rather have dead dogs all over the place? Because a fence does not hold most dogs. They are great diggers and escape artists.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Quoted from Mike_J:

I'm looking at it from this point of view. Your dog will learn his boundaries with a shock collar very quickly. And he will be "fenced". Trouble is that the strays can wonder into and out of his territory and they will learn his same boundaries. They can move in and out and he cannot defend his territory. Before you pop-poo me, look at like this: Your property has a one way gate. One way meaning that your neighbors can enter your yard at any time they please but you are not able to enter their property. Would you like a situation like that? I'm guessing no one would like that situation. Your dog probably doesn't care for it much, either.

But with these no-fence collars, this is the position you place you dog in every day. He is stuck inside the boundary with no fencing protection and can be forced to defend his territory from strays that don't have "one hand tied behind their back", so to speak.

And I am speaking about city dog, mostly.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm looking at it from this point of view. Your dog will learn his boundaries with a shock collar very quickly. And he will be "fenced". Trouble is that the strays can wonder into and out of his territory and they will learn his same boundaries. They can move in and out and he cannot defend his territory. Before you pop-poo me, look at like this: Your property has a one way gate. One way meaning that your neighbors can enter your yard at any time they please but you are not able to enter their property. Would you like a situation like that? I'm guessing no one would like that situation. Your dog probably doesn't care for it much, either.
    But with these no-fence collars, this is the position you place you dog in every day. He is stuck inside the boundary with no fencing protection and can be forced to defend his territory from strays that don't have "one hand tied behind their back", so to speak.

That would only bother me if my neighbors were coming onto my property to take a dump in my yard. My dog and 9mm ensures they don't though.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

That would only bother me if my neighbors were coming onto my property to take a dump in my yard.

I'm glad you are okay with me doing that. I always make a pit stop on my Expo excursion. Cleaner and safer than the way side rests on the freeway.

LTG : )

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If you lived in a nice neighborhood that does not allow fences, it's the collar or getting run over by a car.
    Once the dog learns that the beep gets higher pitched before the zap comes, they avoid the beeps altogether.

Exactly, I don't like to use it but I live in a rural area with too much land. To build a fence to go all around my property would be too expensive. Trust me he learned what the beep means and after one or two times of getting a little jolt, he knows where he can't go. Works great. I also don't leave them out unattended but the collar lets him run and explore as opposed to having him on a lead all the time. I would rather my dog have gotten a little jolt then dead from a car hitting him.

BTW I tested the collar out when I got it. I have it set on the lowest setting, no worse then an static shock. Now back on topic, I turned the pinballs on and couldn't get it to do it again. Not sure what was causing it but don't think it was any of the games

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Those collars are cruel and not unusual punishment.

I don't think you know what that means.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

I don't think you know what that means.

How about telling your opinion of what it means.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

How about telling your opinion of what it means.

"not unusual" means usual. Therefore you've made the claim that that are "cruel and usual punishment" There is a a constitutional amendment that uses the term "no cruel and unusual punishments" which would make sense in your comment but that's not what you wrote, and is clearly not what you wanted to say either based on your reaction that your comment was correct. So apparently you think shock is cruel, but perfectly normal and acceptable, which is kinda sick.

#22 5 years ago

My brother in law bought one for his Great Dane. Before he put it on the dog, he held it up to his neck and shocked himself. He said he wasn't going to put it on the dog before he tested it on himself. He said it startled him and didn't hurt at all.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

My brother in law bought one for his Great Dane. Before he put it on the dog, he held it up to his neck and shocked himself. He said he wasn't going to put it on the dog before he tested it on himself. He said it startled him and didn't hurt at all.

All shock collars are not created equal. I tried one on my neck and it hurt like a bitch. It was on the max setting but just realize there are various degrees of shock available.

#24 5 years ago

Not to mention that even a bearded human neck has nowhere near the hair density of a dog's (a.k.a. fur) which affects the shock level a bunch.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

"not unusual" means usual. Therefore you've made the claim that that are "cruel and usual punishment" There is a a constitutional amendment that uses the term "no cruel and unusual punishments" which would make sense in your comment but that's not what you wrote, and is clearly not what you wanted to say either based on your reaction that your comment was correct. So apparently you think shock is cruel, but perfectly normal and acceptable, which is kinda sick.

OK. Gotcha. It was confusing the way I said it but there is a faction who do not think shock collars are cruel, at all. There is a faction that think shock collars are a normal part of having a dog and that there is nothing unusual about throwing fear into their dog with a little push of the button. And a lot of the people who think shock collars are the greatest are usually selling the god damn things so there is the money angle.

#26 5 years ago

Shock collars are the greatest invention ever, and have saved millions of dog's lives.

Example:

My cousin's friend gave him his Rockwilder because he got sent for another tour of Afghanistan.

My cousin was not really looking for a big dog, but took it because his friend was out of options as far as caring for it. My cousin said it was his way of saying "Thank you for your service"

It turns out that the dog barked the ENTIRE day while no one was home. It never stopped, it just barked once per second, all day, until he came home.

Both of his neighbors called the cops and played a recording of the dog barking all day.

My cousin got a ticket and had to appear in court.

The judge said that he had 30 days to stop it from barking, or dispose of the dog.

My cousin tried all the Rock rescue groups in the area, CL, no one wanted it. The Humane Society said they don't adopt out Pits, Rots or Dobs - so that was a sure death sentence.

One out of state rescue group told him to just buy a "No Bark Collar". The dog gets 2 barks to alarm the household, then the 3rd bark zaps him.

The collar saved the Rots life. He barks 2 times when the mail comes, or if Amazon delivers a box; but then he stops and watches out the window silently till the "threat" is gone.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Shock collars are the greatest invention ever, and have saved millions of dog's lives.
    Example:
    My cousin's friend gave him his Rockwilder because he got sent for another tour of Afghanistan.
    My cousin was not really looking for a big dog, but took it because his friend was out of options as far as caring for it. My cousin said it was his way of saying "Thank you for your service"
    It turns out that the dog barked the ENTIRE day while no one was home. It never stopped, it just barked once per second, all day, until he came home.
    Both of his neighbors called the cops and played a recording of the dog barking all day.
    My cousin got a ticket and had to appear in court.
    The judge said that he had 30 days to stop it from barking, or dispose of the dog.
    My cousin tried all the Rock rescue groups in the area, CL, no one wanted it. The Humane Society said they don't adopt out Pits, Rots or Dobs - so that was a sure death sentence.
    One out of state rescue group told him to just buy a "No Bark Collar". The dog gets 2 barks to alarm the household, then the 3rd bark zaps him.
    The collar saved the Rots life. He barks 2 times when the mail comes, or if Amazon delivers a box; but then he stops and watches out the window silently till the "threat" is gone.

Does it work on mothers-in-law too?

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Does it work on mothers-in-law too?

Sure, but doesn't her husband keep her in line?

#30 5 years ago

Want to thank the OP for this thread. Just when you think new threads are just rehashes of threads you have read before a gem like this comes along. Hope your dog is okay and you figure out the issue.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

So much horse crap I don't even know where to begin.

Try to narrow it down enough that you can find a place to start. There has to be something in there you can pick out.

#32 5 years ago

The title is a bit misleading. Sounds like one of the pinball machines actually shocked the dog and thought about a missing (or cut off) ground plug or a machine with the hot and neutral reversed. I had a pin that was reversed and got a small shock when touching the game next to it. That was something I immediately fixed.

In this case it wasn't any of the machines. It was the shock collar that shocked the dog. So it is more of a possible issue with RF interference near enough to what the perimeter wire would create.

Does it happen when the games are off or just when they are on? As mentioned you can unplug them and try to isolate if a particular machine is the one simulating the perimeter fence.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

The title is a bit misleading. Sounds like one of the pinball machines actually shocked the dog and thought about a missing (or cut off) ground plug or a machine with the hot and neutral reversed. I had a pin that was reversed and got a small shock when touching the game next to it. That was something I immediately fixed.
    In this case it wasn't any of the machines. It was the shock collar that shocked the dog. So it is more of a possible issue with RF interference near enough to what the perimeter wire would create.
    Does it happen when the games are off or just when they are on? As mentioned you can unplug them and try to isolate if a particular machine is the one simulating the perimeter fence.

Only happened one time when they were one. I tried recreating it with the collar off but couldn't get it to happen again. Not sure it was any of the machines at all. Maybe it was one of those weird things like a garage door opener or something set it off

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Ah, well in a perfect world no fences would be needed and all dogs would stay in their own yards and there would be no strays.
    In a second perfect world, everyone would have fences.
    You said it was a city dog, I guess you could always level the playing field.

500_F_99127707_uboPj1pberi3a1imA48oQ4MQudNwzURk (resized).jpg500_F_99127707_uboPj1pberi3a1imA48oQ4MQudNwzURk (resized).jpg
    #35 5 years ago

grandma-putbull (resized).jpggrandma-putbull (resized).jpg

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Ah, well in a perfect world no fences would be needed and all dogs would stay in their own yards and there would be no strays.
    In a second perfect world, everyone would have fences.
    You said it was a city dog, I guess you could always level the playing field.
    [quoted image]

This little guy got a fence built. Even the cats are bigger the he is.

IMG_2197 (resized).JPGIMG_2197 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-shocked-my-dogi-think?hl=hailrazer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.