Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by rollitover
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

403552E0-8DAA-46BA-8D7C-8FA69C867F3C (resized).jpeg

#1 6 years ago

Those of you that have used a freight company to pick up a pinball for you, is the machine broke down and fit on a 4x4 pallet?
    Any horror stories or is it relatively safe to do? Got an eye on one I been looking for in great condition.

#2 6 years ago

I'm having one shipped now and was surprised they palleted before they loaded it. I hope to get it tomorrow as it's sitting at the Depot. I'm assuming they are treating it with kid gloves since I paid for the insurance.

Last time I shipped one out the took it out. The legs with the head down and it arrived in great shape.

#3 6 years ago

I just shipped a pin out a few weeks ago. I did nothing. Shipping company came and packaged up pin and loaded it in their truck. All I did was watch. I don’t understand why anyone would be opposed to shipping a pin. The buyer was responsible for all shipping arrangements. The average price is $300-$400 for shipping.

#4 6 years ago

Always find the whole thing nerve wracking! How ever no issues!

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

I'm assuming they are treating it with kid gloves since I paid for the insurance.

Might I ask what specific expectations you have about the effect your purchase of insurance has on your shipment and why you hold those expectations?

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Might I ask what specific expectations you have about the effect your purchase of insurance has on your shipment and why you hold those expectations?

Sorry forgot the smiley emoji

#7 6 years ago

Imported a no of machines from US to Australia. Never a problem notwithstanding the distance & handling. I have always been prepared to make the investment for good packaging with head & legs off. Craters & Freighters have been exceptional for me from various Branches.

#8 6 years ago

36by48 pallet. Legs off, head folded down, wrap it properly. Strap it to pallet using good wratchet straps, not band straps. Band straps break whether metal or plastic. Never ship a machine not wrapped on its legs. I know some here do, but if u ever rode in the back of a semi or hung around shipping docks you would understand why not do do that. I have seen forks ran right through the side Of a pricey game not wrapped. I've also seen properly wrapped games get nailed but the packing stopped any game damage.

#9 6 years ago

There are a few right ways in my opinion.. if you expect freight to take care of it then you and seller are taking a risk. Make sure you declare the value of machine and can reasonably prove its worth; otherwise it has a default value of around 2000$ if I recall. I understand it’s not practical to fly out there and crate it yourself. Sometimes the seller can’t manage the crating either.
    Here is an old thread of one of my experiences with freight.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sti-destroyed-my-restored-mm/page/2#post-3900235

There plenty of good results from people who have freight deal with crating also. The vertical ship with nylon lashing straps is perhaps the best job I’ve seen. But who is going to do it?

Another option that a experienced shipper did here; create a pallet that a forklift cannot get under. I realize the photo is one sided, the other side has a crossbeam in the opposite way. This game showed up fully intact with no damage.

403552E0-8DAA-46BA-8D7C-8FA69C867F3C (resized).jpeg403552E0-8DAA-46BA-8D7C-8FA69C867F3C (resized).jpeg

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

I'm having one shipped now and was surprised they palleted before they loaded it. I hope to get it tomorrow as it's sitting at the Depot. I'm assuming they are treating it with kid gloves since I paid for the insurance.
    Last time I shipped one out the took it out. The legs with the head down and it arrived in great shape.

Ive got my fingers crossed.
    Thanks
    Blake

#11 6 years ago

There are multiple threads on here regarding this topic. One of the moderators summarized shipping options here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shipping-options-for-games

Here is how some experts recommend packaging

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-crate-a-pinball-machine-for-shipping#post-4156192

Good luck in your quest!

#12 6 years ago

Having years of experience in the industry, distance plays a major factor in determining if a machine shows up intact and unscathed. It is not the distance alone but with distance comes handling. The farther the distance the more times your machine will be moved and handled thus increasing the chances of damage.
    Pick-up
    Terminal
    Next truck
    Terminal
    Might spend overnight on a dock or staging area
    Next truck
    Out for delivery
    ...you get the idea.

That said, I have purchased two machines that needed shipping. Used STI for both.
    They were shipped intact and upright. One came from Indiana the other from PA
    Both arrived without a scratch.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-shipping-6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.