image-790.jpg
image.jpg
photo 5.JPG
photo 3.JPG
image-510.jpg
image.jpg
Plastic covers.jpg
Pinball Shield Pinside Side View-88.jpg
There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Pinball Shields are now available! The Patent Pending full cabinet protector is designed to protect your pinball machine cabinet from bumps, scratches and those "oops" moments, keeping your pin looking brand new! Pinball Shields also offer protection against UV wavelengths below 385 nanometers, helping keep artwork from fading as fast as unprotected cabinets!

Using ultra-thin polycarbonate sheets, Pinball Shields are custom made for modern Stern and Bally/Williams DMD pins.

The protectors attach to your pin without any modification at all, and affix themselves using the flipper buttons, side rails, legs and coin box. They can be removed and re-applied with absolutely no damage to your pinball cabinet!

You can buy Pinball Shields at: www.pinballshield.com

Jersey Jack, Data East, early Bally/Williams and early Stern protectors will be released soon!

Thanks!

* JM doesn't have the 2nd flipper button installed to show the fit on pins without two sets of flipper buttons.

REDUX2.jpgREDUX2.jpg
REDUX3.jpgREDUX3.jpg
REDUX5.jpgREDUX5.jpg
REDUX 1.jpgREDUX 1.jpg
Johnny REDUX 1.jpgJohnny REDUX 1.jpg
Johnny REDUX3.jpgJohnny REDUX3.jpg
Johnny REDUX4.jpgJohnny REDUX4.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Be great to see the installation process or instructions.

#3 9 years ago

No international shipping?

#4 9 years ago

Great idea!

#5 9 years ago

The next step will be one of these......

92427.jpg92427.jpg

You can put your machines into a plastic bubble

#6 9 years ago

This looks like a clear coated cab like woz..is this what is on the hobbit le upgraded decals?

#7 9 years ago

Also what about the head?

#8 9 years ago

Below are two mock-ups of the Pinball Shield so you can see the actual size and layout. The polycarbonate is very shiny and hard to make out in a photo.

Install is pretty simple. The side protectors slide under the backbox hinge and then slip underneath the legs. For Stern you loosen the side rail screws and slip the tabs underneath the rails. For B/W it sits directly flush with the rails. Then, remove the flipper button and re-install over the protector and that is it! For the front protector you loosen the side and bottom coin box bolts and slip the protector underneath. Then slide the edges under the legs and you are done.

Detailed instructions are included with each order.

Thanks!

Pinball Shield Pinside.jpgPinball Shield Pinside.jpg Pinball Shield Pinside Side View-88.jpgPinball Shield Pinside Side View-88.jpg
#9 9 years ago

Ouch @ price, but I understand why. /sadface.

#11 9 years ago

Cool idea. Good luck with the endeavor!

#12 9 years ago

On the Johnny Mnemonic, it looks as though the protector covers the lower button on the cabinet front. Is this the case for machines that have the second button there?

Chris

#13 9 years ago

The price seems very fair, especially compared to other pinball mods. I'm sure you'll sell a lot. Even more if you could source clear material with UV Protection?

#14 9 years ago

I have two games that were substantially scratched by my then 4 yr old son. I could see a use for these in the homes of collectors who enjoy letting their kids play etc. when kids have friends over, stuff happens. Thanks for offering this product.

I have a few games together, I would use something like this on the end game.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Also what about the head?

We are working on making backbox protection as well, and will post them once we have perfected the attachment apparatus. Thanks for the input!

#16 9 years ago

What's the reason for only going partway up on the front? Too many button/shooter combinations?

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

On the Johnny Mnemonic, it looks as though the protector covers the lower button on the cabinet front. Is this the case for machines that have the second button there?
Chris

The protector is covering the "extra ball" button on JM because it isn't used, but the material can be cut using scissors if you need to customize the protector to fit your pin's setup. Great question, thanks!

#18 9 years ago

Sorry but 190 bucks for some plastics sheets seem a bit out of touch.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I like the idea of the product but also think that the price is pretty high for 3 clear plastic sheets. I'd buy a few sets if it we're say 100.

#20 9 years ago

Brings back memories of visiting my grandparents when I was a kid ...

Plastic covers.jpgPlastic covers.jpg

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

What's the reason for only going partway up on the front? Too many button/shooter combinations?

Yes, with all the varied styles of shooter buttons, shooter rods, etc. we wanted to focus on the areas of the cabinet most prone to damage. Thanks!

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Weust:

No international shipping?

We have received several requests from international buyers and are working on calculating shipping costs. We will PM you as soon as we know. Thanks for the request.

#23 9 years ago

Is there a vid where you can show how to install, be cool to see a before and after

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

He's also saving the buyer the hassle of sourcing the right plastic in the right size, and cutting it to fit. $190 is a little high, but it's easier to bring a price down than up.

BUT...I would also add that the vast majority of damage I've inflicted on my games was when I moved them. What we really need are kevlar wraps, with velcro to secure them. I'd be in for a few of those.

#25 9 years ago

You should have an option where people can give you custom measurements

#26 9 years ago

We just received an updated quote from another polycarbonate supplier that was substantially cheaper than our previous supplier, allowing us to sell our Pinball Shields for much less!

I have emailed those who have already ordered our protectors and you will be receiving a refund for the price difference!

Thanks!

www.pinballshield.com

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Prof_Pinball:

We have received several requests from international buyers and are working on calculating shipping costs. We will PM you as soon as we know. Thanks for the request.

Great

#28 9 years ago

Nice, 25% price drop right off the bat.

And seriously, if you think 150 is too much for this, I challenge anyone to do better.

The playfield protectors that BAA sells are pretty much the same thing seems like, only sized and routed for a playfield, and they're 120 bucks.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Nice, 25% price drop right off the bat.
And seriously, if you think 150 is too much for this, I challenge anyone to do better.
The playfield protectors that BAA sells are pretty much the same thing seems like, only sized and routed for a playfield, and they're 120 bucks.

yh but there is more cabinet then playfield

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from PinBiohazard:

yh but there is more cabinet then playfield

Right. That's my point. It's like 300% more material for a 20% price bump.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

The price seems very fair, especially compared to other pinball mods. I'm sure you'll sell a lot. Even more if you could source clear material with UV Protection?

We originally planned to offer a UV resistant option but discovered that our sheets are essentially opaque at all wavelengths below 385 nanometers, making our protectors great for protecting cabinets from the damaging effects of UV light! Below is a diagram where you can see that the transmittance of UV wavelengths is very low.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#32 9 years ago

So I wonder if I could just buy one set and use the left side for my IM and the right side for my Avengers. Does the protector work with lollipop rails?

image-510.jpgimage-510.jpg
#33 9 years ago

Don't you think we are getting a little out of control with trying to protect games that are meant to be played................Heck, why even take them out of the box???

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

So I wonder if I could just buy one set and use the left side for my IM and the right side for my Avengers. Does the protector work with lollipop rails?

image-510.jpg 288 KB

They do work under lollipop rails! Just remove the screws on the lollipop portion and they slide right underneath. You will need to drill a couple small holes to line up to your rail's screw pattern. We include instructions for lollipop rail installation with your order. Thanks!

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Don't you think we are getting a little out of control with trying to protect games that are meant to be played................Heck, why even take them out of the box???

Meant to be played and enjoyed. How do these protectors stop that? It's simply protecting your beautiful games and their great artwork on the outside.

#36 9 years ago

Hmmmm... I only have one side of one game that's exposed so can I buy just one side.

#37 9 years ago

I was on the same page as you when I initially read this post (see my first post with the plastic bubble) but seeing that these do provide UV protection I have changed my mind. For those of us that don't have their machines in a dark basement the UV protection would be nice to have to eliminate the cabinets from fading. The only other option is to buy covers for the machines which means they would be under constant cover.

#38 9 years ago

The connection to slipcovers is still strong with this one.

Although, I do have a newborn who will be walking around soon enough...

#39 9 years ago

I do...Its all gone way over the top. Way way over the top. I mean out of the ballpark-and-even-the whole-effin'-city-and-into-the-countryside-type over the top. After all it is just pinball...I let my kids play my games even if they just had sandwitches and stuff, what an inconsiderate b*stard I am...Greasy fingers, you know? Retail value of my games straight down the drain. Do I care...errrmmm...no I don't as long as they r having fun.

#40 9 years ago

We just added shipping to Canada! We are still working on shipping overseas. Thanks!

#41 9 years ago

Great idea, fantastic product.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from RoadRunner:

I do...Its all gone way over the top. Way way over the top. I mean out of the ballpark-and-even-the whole-effin'-city-and-into-the-countryside-type over the top. After all it is just pinball...I let my kids play my games even if they just had sandwitches and stuff, what an inconsiderate b*stard I am...Greasy fingers, you know? Retail value of my games straight down the drain. Do I care...errrmmm...no I don't as long as they r having fun.

So then why all the butthurt on this thread? Sorry that you didn't find the way to profit over everyone else's vanity?

#43 9 years ago

We have received lots of PM’s requesting payment via PayPal. If you would like to purchase a set of Pinball Shields you can send $159 (shipping included in the U.S) to:

[email protected]

Please make sure to include whether you would like the Stern or Bally/Williams protector and your preferred shipping address.

Thanks!

#44 9 years ago

These are amusement devices, not museum pieces. Last thing I want to see is a game in essentially a giant cabinet condom!

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

These are amusement devices, not museum pieces. Last thing I want to see is a game in essentially a giant cabinet condom!

But wouldn't it be great couple of months or years down the road you want to sell that now old game that has been brought up and down stairs, hauled to how many events and generally abused to pull off those protectors and look at the still pristine, like new side art and get more money for it because it's still looks just like it came from the factory. I think when it comes time to sell a game that has had the protectors on it would fetch a better price. Something to think about. Resale value adder in my book.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

But wouldn't it be great couple of months or years down the road you want to sell that now old game that has been brought up and down stairs, hauled to how many events and generally abused to pull off those protectors and look at the still pristine, like new side art and get more money for it because it's still looks just like it came from the factory. I think when it comes time to sell a game that has had the protectors on it would fetch a better price. Something to think about. Resale value adder in my book.

In a word, "No". I don't want to encase my game in plastic so that it looks good for the next guy to enjoy. I want to enjoy my game. I also could care less if the protectors make it fetch a better price. Who knows what pricing will be if or when I ever sell a game? And, unless you literally treat your games like crap, damage to the cabs is relatively uncommon.

Yes, a pin can get moved to go to show, etc., but since I appreciate my games I also make sure they are wrapped properly (card board all around, legs detached, shrinkwrapped) so damage doesn't occur.

Again, to me this just puts us further from the point of pinballs....to be played and enjoyed. Not to be primped and encased put in plastic.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

In a word, "No". I don't want to encase my game in plastic so that it looks good for the next guy to enjoy. I want to enjoy my game. I also could care less if the protectors make it fetch a better price. Who knows what pricing will be if or when I ever sell a game? And, unless you literally treat your games like crap, damage to the cabs is relatively uncommon.
Yes, a pin can get moved to go to show, etc., but since I appreciate my games I also make sure they are wrapped properly (card board all around, legs detached, shrinkwrapped) so damage doesn't occur.
Again, to me this just puts us further from the point of pinballs....to be played and enjoyed. Not to be primped and encased put in plastic.

Ok. You won't be buying them then.

#48 9 years ago

assuming there is no long term interaction between the overlay and the screen printing. Might not be an issue but where is the research to guarantee it?
caveat emptor.

#49 9 years ago

Wow, I'm surprised at the number of detractors on this thread. As mods go, this one is pretty harmless and totally reversible. You don't play the cabinet, so are you really going to be upset when you play a friend's game with cab protectors? Would you walk past a new location pin if it had these? It's a non-issue to me. Poorly chosen LEDs and other "enhancements" are a bigger problem, if you want the game to look factory.

#50 9 years ago

I think the front piece should cover the whole thing not 3/4.if it's going to stop cab fade I might buy a couple. joe

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-shield-complete-pinball-cabinet-protector and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.