Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by SDH_
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A2BE2C7B-8522-4BF8-9550-4178DFD70FC7 (resized).jpeg
    AC7EF849-3934-406D-BCE5-A90C8E6B7C20 (resized).jpeg
    6EB27827-4F53-4193-9217-E7EF01C174A4 (resized).jpeg
    D931528C-DE12-4BCF-A2AA-BE5844BD6DA5 (resized).jpeg
    BDAF63AB-EE0D-46C9-873D-C24AFEF2185F (resized).jpeg
    16F8D5E2-BDF5-4484-82C7-069C1C37949A_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 2.19.30 PM (resized).png
    FC80CD4D-5AFE-4001-9CA2-BD7A3C67FD7F_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Being in CA, no basement. And lots of pins in the house, is not an option unless really want the divorce. Currently own 14 games, 10 set up in half of 2 car garage, 1 loaned out, one project set up in garage, and two projects in storage. (yes I have the addiction bad, but can quit any time, really)

Have a slightly larger than average back yard. Seriously considering a climate controlled pinball shed for the back corner of the back yard. Starting in the corner, have to leave a 3' space to back and side fence by County code. Starting 3' in, have about 24' from side fence right to left along back fence, and 14' from back left to right along side fence. Thinking no windows, mini-split AC/heating, maybe typical roof line, but maybe angled front to back roof, not sure about concrete vs pier and wood floor - leaning to concrete. Probably run two, 20amp circuits from main house electrical panel.

Almost forgot to mention. I can't just build a 24' X 14' rectangle. So plan would be for an L shape, with probably a clipped corner to create an entrance at the inside corner of the L. Can come into the yard about 8 to 10 feet along either "wing" of the L. So one question would be is 8' inside wall to wall dimension really enough with an appx 52 to 55 inch length for the average game. This is intended to strictly be a playing, not storage or work shed. Thinking either a late winter, or early spring next year project, as hoping by then can get plywood for less than the cost of a new car.

Looking for any ideas, suggestions, do's and don't from your experiences.

#2 2 years ago

That would free up a lot of room for the pinball machines but would your family be okay with living in a windowless shed behind the house?

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from craif:

That would free up a lot of room for the pinball machines but would your family be okay with living in a windowless shed behind the house?

Kids are gone, it's just the wife. And if add a lock that opens from the outside only ..........

(Ok, unfortunately I actually love my wife who is pretty darn supportive of my addiction, so guess the pins have to go to the shed)

#4 2 years ago

I think you will need more electric capacity. Check local wiring codes for the minimum sub panel amperage rating to allow the installation of the HVAC system.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sputnik:

I think you will need more electric capacity. Check local wiring codes for the minimum sub panel amperage rating to allow the installation of the HVAC system.

Mini split might be overkill unless you really need the heat capability.

My 14 x 24 garage runs a 5500 btu ac and 14 pins on a single 20 amp line. Granted not all 14 are being played at once but did have 5 or 6 going at once with kids over.

Never popped a breaker or even annoyed the battery backup & surge protector for the pins.

#6 2 years ago

Need to size things up.assume all games on and Ac running. Make sure room for future games and a place to work on games also
    If you believe the need is for two 20 amp ckts add a 3rd real cheap during build.
    Adding a couple feet on width can make a huge difference when having a party, adding chairs etc.

What are you thinking 6” pad?

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Madmax541:

Need to size things up.assume all games on and Ac running. Make sure room for future games and a place to work on games also
    If you believe the need is for two 20 amp ckts add a 3rd real cheap during build.
    Adding a couple feet on width can make a huge difference when having a party, adding chairs etc.
    What are you thinking 6” pad?

Place to work on games will be garage. All set up now, so no need to change. Will still keep games in garage also, but fewer so more working room.

Thinking 4” pad, we don’t have a freeze thaw cycle here, most patios are 4”. Will have to pull permit, so there may be some code requirements I don’t know yet.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Mini split might be overkill unless you really need the heat capability.
    My 14 x 24 garage runs a 5500 btu ac and 14 pins on a single 20 amp line. Granted not all 14 are being played at once but did have 5 or 6 going at once with kids over.
    Never popped a breaker or even annoyed the battery backup & surge protector for the pins.

Don’t need heat, 30 degrees is a really cold day here. Was just thinking set and forget convenience.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

Don’t need heat, 30 degrees is a really cold day here. Was just thinking set and forget convenience.

They do make 120v ductless 12,000 BTU units which would be good for the space you describe. In that case two 20 amp lines would be fine. One set aside for ac and the other for machines. My 5500k ac unit has no problem at all maintaining set temps though my building is well insulated.

If I was doing it I'd run the lighting off the same leg as the ac, draw from led lighting is trivial. This may not be acceptable to code enforcement as some places want to see a seperate circuit for lighting on new construction, your mileage may vary.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

Being in CA, no basement. And lots of pins in the house, is not an option unless really want the divorce. Currently own 14 games, 10 set up in half of 2 car garage, 1 loaned out, one project set up in garage, and two projects in storage. (yes I have the addiction bad, but can quit any time, really)
    Have a slightly larger than average back yard. Seriously considering a climate controlled pinball shed for the back corner of the back yard. Starting in the corner, have to leave a 3' space to back and side fence by County code. Starting 3' in, have about 24' from side fence right to left along back fence, and 14' from back left to right along side fence. Thinking no windows, mini-split AC/heating, maybe typical roof line, but maybe angled front to back roof, not sure about concrete vs pier and wood floor - leaning to concrete. Probably run two, 20amp circuits from main house electrical panel.
    Almost forgot to mention. I can't just build a 24' X 14' rectangle. So plan would be for an L shape, with probably a clipped corner to create an entrance at the inside corner of the L. Can come into the yard about 8 to 10 feet along either "wing" of the L. So one question would be is 8' inside wall to wall dimension really enough with an appx 52 to 55 inch length for the average game. This is intended to strictly be a playing, not storage or work shed. Thinking either a late winter, or early spring next year project, as hoping by then can get plywood for less than the cost of a new car.
    Looking for any ideas, suggestions, do's and don't from your experiences.

Don’t forget you’ll need to take the glass out for stuck balls and minor fixes. Make sure you’ve got space for that. Even if this is the “functioning player games” shed something at the very back can have an issue and it would suck to move everything to get that last game out to work on it.

#11 2 years ago

I did this too and I'm very happy I got a small mini-split with heat installed, per my photo from this years Texas winter storm (which I fortunately had power through the worst of, since I live less than a block from a fire station).

City of Austin code limited me to <200 sq ft before I would have to go through permitting, so it's 13.5'x14.5' and I can very comfortably fit 7 pins with some tight storage / work space.

I'll probably end up building another one eventually LOL

FC80CD4D-5AFE-4001-9CA2-BD7A3C67FD7F_1_105_c (resized).jpegFC80CD4D-5AFE-4001-9CA2-BD7A3C67FD7F_1_105_c (resized).jpegScreen Shot 2021-09-03 at 2.19.30 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-09-03 at 2.19.30 PM (resized).png16F8D5E2-BDF5-4484-82C7-069C1C37949A_1_105_c (resized).jpeg16F8D5E2-BDF5-4484-82C7-069C1C37949A_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
    #12 2 years ago

Trust me, you want a cement foundation. Sheds without won’t give you a level floor. You’ll be fighting it.

#13 2 years ago

Bugs? I get critters in my shed all the time. Not sure i'd want them in/around pins.

#14 2 years ago

-following.
    Either pins go in shed or I do at some point.

#15 2 years ago

dont overlook the possible benefits afforded by recent california laws allowing up to two additional dwelling units to be built on your property.

https://ezplansusa.com/2021-guide-to-the-new-adu-laws-in-california

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from tommyp:

Bugs? I get critters in my shed all the time. Not sure i'd want them in/around pins.

Weatherproof seal and spray foam insulation would make that nice and cozy, bug-free. Keep the perimeter sprayed. I’m looking at options for a backyard shed too. Best way to play late at night and not disturb the family!

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from play_pinball:

I did this too and I'm very happy I got a small mini-split with heat installed, per my photo from this years Texas winter storm (which I fortunately had power through the worst of, since I live less than a block from a fire station).
    City of Austin code limited me to <200 sq ft before I would have to go through permitting, so it's 13.5'x14.5' and I can very comfortably fit 7 pins with some tight storage / work space.
    I'll probably end up building another one eventually LOL
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice, like the roof angle, that is what I am thinking of rather than typical roof. Here it is 120 sq ft before permit, so no way I can build it without permit. Did think of building two side by side with a 1" gap, then cut a door through each and fill the space around the doors with something water tight but not "permanent". But seems like a lot of work and maybe leaks to get under code.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from tommyp:

Yep. Looking to make it tight like a house to for heating / cooling, but also bugs and critters.

"dont overlook the possible benefits afforded by recent california laws allowing up to two additional dwelling units to be built on your property."

Have an RE agent friend who suggested this, but plumbing would be a real issue. So running electrical, but don't want to mess with plumbing. If someone wants to convert it later, they can run the plumbing and saw cut the concrete, assuming I do a concrete floor.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

-following.
    Either pins go in shed or I do at some point.

Why do you think I am planning the shed. LOL

BTW: Wife relented, turning my later fathers "hospital" room in the house, into an office. Get 1 pin in the office. Moving in Spot Bowler, my only wood rail. At about 71 years old, she deserves to be in the house.

#20 2 years ago

This is pretty sweet !

BDAF63AB-EE0D-46C9-873D-C24AFEF2185F (resized).jpegBDAF63AB-EE0D-46C9-873D-C24AFEF2185F (resized).jpeg
    #21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

This is pretty sweet !
    [quoted image]

is that yours? If not any idea if it's a kit, or custom? A little modern style for my yard, and would have to black out most of the glass. But the basic idea is interesting.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

Did think of building two side by side with a 1" gap, then cut a door through each and fill the space around the doors with something water tight but not "permanent". But seems like a lot of work and maybe leaks to get under code.

While you figure out all the details and code requirements, you'll need a safe and temporary way to store your pins that's secure, protected from the elements and allows access for proper care.

A 20 foot shipping container is just shy of 8 feet wide and tall internally, which should allow you to store 6-7 fully assembled pins with a walkway about 3 feet wide along one side to allow easy access as you perform the industry standard daily testing of all features.

These sorts of projects can take years to plan and surprises come up. Given that, you might decide to spend a little extra to get a special purpose container intended for long term storage of expensive cargo and collectors items. Examples of the features available are lighting, climate control and electrical outlets (for tools, obviously!).

#23 2 years ago

With the price of materials currently and property investment it seems a home addition would probably make more sense if your yard is as big as you say. Resale in the future would be much greater with additional square footage vs an out building let alone the cost/permits to extend utilities to said building. Buyers are more interested in more home space then a pinball shed.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

is that yours? If not any idea if it's a kit, or custom? A little modern style for my yard, and would have to black out most of the glass. But the basic idea is interesting.

Not mine. Found on the World Wide Web.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

With the price of materials currently and property investment it seems a home addition would probably make more sense if your yard is as big as you say. Resale in the future would be much greater with additional square footage vs an out building let alone the cost/permits to extend utilities to said building. Buyers are more interested in more home space then a pinball shed.

Appreciate the thought. And we have certainly considered it from several angles. But with the layout of our home any addition doesn’t actually allow for as many pins. And is about 4 to 5 times more expensive because we would have to make major roof changes. So the maybe plan is to do a kitchen remodel, replace the original 1960 furnace, remodel our bath shower making it larger. And the pinball shed.

As for resale, I’m 65 this is almost certainly the last house, so I don’t care how much my children’s lose. Lol

#26 2 years ago

Also, my wife gets migraines. So I having pins in the garage and a shed in the back corner of the backyard is perfect for that.

#27 2 years ago

This is what I’m looking into at some point....no permits needed. No need for foundation. Can relocate or resell if ever needed/wanted to. Can move around in the yard. Spray foam insulate the whole shell. Window a/c in the summer and a small ceramic space heater in the winter. No need to get all fancy with permanent stuff.

D931528C-DE12-4BCF-A2AA-BE5844BD6DA5 (resized).jpegD931528C-DE12-4BCF-A2AA-BE5844BD6DA5 (resized).jpeg
    #28 2 years ago

+1 for making the shed deep enough that you can easily maneuver a pin out from the middle of the lineup when needed. This will give the added benefit of the space not feeling cramped. Having just enough depth to remove glass might be fine when playing by yourself but when you’ve got folks over, your going to wish it was deeper. People should be able to comfortably pass behind a player without bumping or distracting them. Material and space cost for this is negligible in the scope of things. Make it roomy.

#29 2 years ago

Here’s my 16x20 backyard shed. 5 pins with plenty of extra room/depth. My friends are much more into darts than pins so kept that area open, but definitely room for more pins. Air conditioner keeps up well with our extreme heat. Other side has a work bench and futon. Can take more pics if you want once I get power back due to hurricane Ida (luckily the shed made it through with no damage!).

6EB27827-4F53-4193-9217-E7EF01C174A4 (resized).jpeg6EB27827-4F53-4193-9217-E7EF01C174A4 (resized).jpegA2BE2C7B-8522-4BF8-9550-4178DFD70FC7 (resized).jpegA2BE2C7B-8522-4BF8-9550-4178DFD70FC7 (resized).jpegAC7EF849-3934-406D-BCE5-A90C8E6B7C20 (resized).jpegAC7EF849-3934-406D-BCE5-A90C8E6B7C20 (resized).jpeg
    #30 2 years ago
    Quoted from SDH_:

Here’s my 16x20 backyard shed. 5 pins with plenty of extra room/depth. My friends are much more into darts than pins so kept that area open, but definitely room for more pins. Air conditioner keeps up well with our extreme heat. Other side has a work bench and futon. Can take more pics if you want once I get power back due to hurricane Ida (luckily the shed made it through with no damage!).
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice. Unfortunately I don’t have the room to go 16 deep. At best might get 10. Best fit in yard is to go in to corner with two wings each direction from main corner. But wil be looking at how that affects getting glass out and multiple players.

#31 2 years ago

If you go 10 ft deep you may have enough room to slide glass off. Or line up your games on an angle which should make sliding glass off a lot easier in a narrower space.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-shed-for-backyard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.