• 22 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by joegeno
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What is fair?”

• Sell it to the first guy for $6,400 and provide info on counter offers for future use. 82 votes
    94%
  • Sell it to the second guy for $7,000. 5 votes
    6%

(87 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Offer (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

I just sold my original AFM with playfield swap to another pinsider for $6400. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/105355 I took the first full price offer, and had 4 backups by the time Fast Eddy (great to work with) came to pick it up 3 days later as agreed and paid original asking price. During this time, I received several offers to buy the machine if he backs out, and several offers to snipe the original buyer and show up same day with more. Original price was $6,400, but top snipe offer was $7,000. I sold it to the first guy for $6,400 and sent the guy I sold it to the offer in case he wanted to sell it down the line, but wanted to know what was the proper thing in this situation. What’s fair here and what would you do?
Poll added

Offer (resized).pngOffer (resized).png
#2 3 years ago

I would never sell anything out from under a Buyer unless that Buyer failed to meet the terms of our deal.

Didn't send the deposit, Didn't pay on time, Didn't show up for arranged pickup, etc...

Only after that kind of situation would I ever consider the following bids (higher, lower, whatever).

#3 3 years ago

If you make an arrangement to sell something to some person for some amount in some time frame it’s basic human decency to be a person of your word and do it. If you want bids then sell it auction style.

#4 3 years ago

People often offer higher price. Then never follow thru. You did right by going with first person

#5 3 years ago

You've done a verbal agreement with first guy to sell it to them. While everyone would like the extra cash, you've stuck to your word - which reflects upon who you are as a person and your values, people respect this! The other thing is that you set the price at which you'd be happy to sell it and you've been able to get that price - that's what counts.

#6 3 years ago

Remember the name of the sniper and don’t do business with them. They have no honor knowing a deal is already made and will not hesitate to renege on any deal they make with you.

#7 3 years ago

I try to offer a deposit if I'm buying to oblige the seller, and if selling ask for a deposit to make it worth it when/if they don't show up. usually $100-200.

#8 3 years ago

Bastard move for a buyer to snipe a higher price after they're told another buyer was first.

It's also a bastard move to sell it for a higher price after an agreement was made with a person for the original price.

I've bought machines in the past where the buyer tells me someone tried to offer more, usually having a good laugh over it. It's good that some folks still understand about having some integrity, especially when making deals.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

People often offer higher price. Then never follow thru. You did right by going with first person

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Remember the name of the sniper and don’t do business with them. They have no honor knowing a deal is already made and will not hesitate to renege on any deal they make with you.

Quoted from guitarded:

I would never sell anything out from under a Buyer unless that Buyer failed to meet the terms of our deal.
Didn't send the deposit, Didn't pay on time, Didn't show up for arranged pickup, etc...
Only after that kind of situation would I ever consider the following bids (higher, lower, whatever).

^^^ALL OF THIS. I love how the buyer goes from, "I like the machine. Can I come see it? Possibly make a sale?" right to I'll give you $600 more to flake on an agreed upon deal when he was told there was a deal in place already. He wasn't even a buyer to begin with..."possibly"...now he wants it for sure for $600 more than asking price? This is the type of buyer that would have shown up and busted you down even more on your price originally and/or wouldn't have shown up with the $7000 after the fact anyway like he offered. Not worth dealing with those people.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

I try to offer a deposit if I'm buying to oblige the seller, and if selling ask for a deposit to make it worth it when/if they don't show up. usually $100-200.

Hell yeah, I'm going to start doing this too unless they have a solid Pinside history. Recently some dude loved the condition of a pin I was selling, probably an hour or two spent exchanging messages about it via text, "it's just what I'm looking for, I'm 100% interested," had it on Sale Pending for over a week, he texts 2 hours before he was supposed to come and pick it up that he found a better deal. Congrats, you saved a couple hundred, but now someone out there thinks you're a worm and will never deal with you again. Is that worth a couple hundred? Maybe to some people. This is in the same week he bought another machine for around $15K, too, so it's not even like that couple hundred is crucial to him.

#11 3 years ago

I always suspect a higher offer for same day pickup will end up with that person at your house trying to point out flaws in order to simply buy it at the original price...or lower.

#12 3 years ago

I’m not the type to automatically accept the first full price offer right away. I like to “let it ride” for some period of time, mainly to see if someone more reputable than the first makes an offer. That said, if I know or fully trust the first full price offer, I’ll accept right away. Once I’ve accepted an offer, it doesn’t matter if someone offers more. They go on the backup list like everyone else. If the deal falls through, it’s the same process : choose the next most reliable seeming person with a reasonable offer. The highest offer is not always the best offer.

#13 3 years ago

The phrase "do onto others..." comes to mind. You did the right thing (mental note made: SantaEatsCheese is good to do business with )

#14 3 years ago

It's too bad we can't see the names of the people that would take the $7k because I would like to add them to the "never do business with" list.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

It's too bad we can't see the names of the people that would take the $7k because I would like to add them to the "never do business with" list.

Thats whybI added the poll. I figured the comments would lean one way and the poll the other. Glad to know I'm not too crazy.

#16 3 years ago

you set a price and got it, transaction went smooth. I'd call that a win

#17 3 years ago

Ones word is their bond!

#18 3 years ago

I always post or respond with my ads "first come, first served." If you can't make it for three days, I'll say message me when you can make it and I'll let you know if it's still available. It's gained me some money on deals, as I'll tell future inquiries someone is interested and at what price. I also tend to post my machines for less than typical prices to make a quick sale, I don't care if I lose a few hundred on a game I don't care for. But nothing is locked until cash is on the glass. I won't tell a buyer it's a deal until they're picking up the machine.

Edit: I've put games on hold for people before and then they stop communicating. I don't know if it's just this hobby or life in general now with social media but communication lacks. I have a job where communication is key to safety and life. If it's a no, or you changed your mind, just say it.

#19 3 years ago

There is no question here both legally and ethically. If you made a clear deal to sell the game that is a contract you should legally honor.

MORE IMPORTANTLY - you have to honor the deal to be a decent honest human being and to maintain a reputation in this hobby. If you only wanted $6,400 for it you got exactly what you wanted so what is wrong with that? If you were worried about leaving money on the table you should have done an auction or asked for offers etc.

Let's face it - most people with toys that cost $5k+ probably won't miss a few hundred dollars one way or the other on the sale of a game. All the more reason why you wouldn't want to ruin your reputation for it. That person you screw over might have the next game you want to buy (or maybe his/her friend does!)

I also concur with others - the $7k offer may or may not have been real. People are big to offer halfheartedly but so many deals fall through once the "buyer" has to actually come up with the cash (then the spouse objects or they can't sell another game quickly enough etc).

#20 3 years ago

Keep your word. Avoid people who want you to break it in future if you are buying from them. You k ow they won't stick to the deal if they have a better offer.

If the original buyer backs out then sell it at the higher offer.

#21 3 years ago

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

#22 3 years ago

Pin-karma is a solid thing to have in this tumultuous market.

Really need our heads on a swivel in the midst of this vicious cock fight!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 21.50
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-selling-ethics-poll-what-to-do-with-snipe-offers-?hl=dcp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.