View topic image gallery

IMG_6626 (resized).JPG
IMG_6625 (resized).JPG
IMG_6678 (resized).JPG
IMG_6677 (resized).JPG
IMG_6675 (resized).JPG
IMG_6672 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

I don't know how else to title this post. Another pinsider asked me to post the following and maybe some of the rest of your have some repair tricks up your sleeve that can help everybody out.

Before I get started, I have to qualify that different pin makers had different ways of attaching aprons to play fields. My Williams Laser Cue does not need any correction like my Classic Sterns need.

The issue is that the skirts of my aprons cut into my play fields and damage the paint. I just finished installation of a restored, cleared play field and I did not want my new paint job to look like and old paint job in a matter of a few weeks.

With these old Sterns, there are two slots on the skirt that lock onto two washers that are mounted on some stand-off spacers. And the aprons cut into the play field. I call this an engineering design oversight.

IMG_6672 (resized).JPGIMG_6672 (resized).JPG

IMG_6675 (resized).JPGIMG_6675 (resized).JPG

IMG_6677 (resized).JPGIMG_6677 (resized).JPG

IMG_6678 (resized).JPGIMG_6678 (resized).JPG

What I have done to my restored pin and will be doing to the others is trimming off 3/16" to 1/4" of the bottom of the apron so that it will not drag on the play field and remove paint. I have trimmed away the metal this is below the tape line. It does not hurt anything to do this. The trim is low enough that ball travel is not affected. Since the apron is facing away from you you do not see the trimmed area. The only thing that will happen if you make this cut is that it will be easier for dirt and crap to drift off of the play field and into the area under the apron that you never see until you remove the apron.

With this trim that I did, the apron no longer rides the play field and my new paint job is not going to get scratched away. The pin plays fine. I am very happy with the result.

IMG_6626 (resized).JPGIMG_6626 (resized).JPG
IMG_6625 (resized).JPGIMG_6625 (resized).JPG

What mods, or tricks, have you all made to your pins to protect them from themselves? What engineering design oversights have to corrected on your pins to bring them closer to blueprint, or closer to perfection?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Try strips of mylar?

That might help, but if the apron is already cutting into the play field how long before it would cut thru the mylar? I was looking at some windlass ("U" shaped rubber material with metal lining) but it was so much per foot and you would need to but a roll of the stuff.

You could also get longer bolts that hold the washers and add some more small washers as spacers to jack the apron up. Very doable and not expensive but then your apron will not set correctly.

For me, it worked out that I could trim some apron away. But I have the tools to do the work, also.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 69.00
3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-self-destruction-parts-and-your-corrections-to-perfection and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.