(Topic ID: 236811)

Pinball's Biggest Anticlimaxes?

By DanQverymuch

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Which games have the biggest letdown after a big buildup? I'm talking code-wise.

I nominate STTNG's Warp sequence. Making it to Warp 9.9 just gives you some more points with no congratulations or fanfare, it's just over.

#2 5 years ago

when your balls get stolen in the locks on aerosmith. toys in the attic starts playing and an amazing light show and the toy box is going crazy and then one or ball comes out. it is AWESOME when 5 or 6 come out but one or two is a bit of a disappointment

mjr

#3 5 years ago

#CSI "MULTIBALL WIZARD".

#4 5 years ago

Ghostbusters. You get virtually no points for we are ready to believe you.

#5 5 years ago

SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW. Never has so much been required to receive so little

#6 5 years ago

STLE Karl Urban update

#7 5 years ago

The Biggest Non Climax on a Pinball Machine?.....Not going there....

#8 5 years ago

That dumb upper playfield game on Popeye.

You win it and...nothing happens.

Gee that was fun.

Getting to July 4th on Independence Day comes to mind too. What was the point of that?

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The Biggest Non Climax on a Pinball Machine?.....Not going there....

Actually please do because I have no idea where you were going with this. Like seriously. What's the innuendo about "not getting a climax" while on top of a pinball machine?

#9 5 years ago

Playing Munsters for the first time.

Monopoly - Land grab

Pressing start on Hook

#10 5 years ago

It may have been AFM (I don't quite remember), but the first time I completed a wizard mode and the game just started over from the beginning. I'm not sure quite what what I was expecting to happen, but it wasn't all my progress to seemingly be wiped out and loop back to the beginning of the game, lol

#11 5 years ago

Levi I think it was the ol 'the accused' maybe?

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Levi I think it was the ol 'the accused' maybe?

ouch!

#13 5 years ago

I beat Alien Invasion for the first time on my TSPP and when all that happened was a score was displayed it was a real let down. I also thought that was the actual wizard mode so that played into it was well.

#14 5 years ago

Tour the Mansion. I don't know what other people think about it, but I find it to be a really disappointing wizard mode. You get the 50 million which is great, but then going through all the modes again isn't really exciting. You've already been through them all, what's the point of going through them all again, with the only difference being each one starts automatically? Pretty crazy how much Twilight Zone improved on this. LitZ is one of the best climaxes if any pinball game IMHO.

Stargate's Eye of Ra wizard mode. While beating it is a challenge and some excitement comes from that alone (Even better if you have a high super jackpot and 3x multipliers!), all that happens when you beat it is the same old "super jackpot!" call-out, the music stops, and then it just switches over to the regular multiball mode and music. No fanfare, no lightsshow, no unique sound effects, nothing.

#15 5 years ago

I enjoy Tour the Mansion. It's almost impossible to get all the way through it without timing out. It's fun to see how many points I can milk out of it and how far I can get. It's also a "free ball" kind of thing on factory because the first thing you do is get the EB, so I can focus on inflating my Bonus X or going for million plus shots.

#16 5 years ago

Avatar - all that hard work and Final Battle seems pretty underwhelming.

#17 5 years ago

Finishing 200 laps AND finishing 1st in Indy 500 is pretty damn underwhelming. It's tough as hell to do. The pin should freak out like White Water vacation jackpot.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW. Never has so much been required to receive so little

I used to think this when I first owned WOZ. A few hundred plays, and learning the sequences and safe play, I was able to get through it around 25% of the time. Something I used to blow off as useless is such a fun and awarding feature now. Love it. I just wish I could change the music to Israel Kamakawiwo’s version

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I used to think this when I first owned WOZ. A few hundred plays, and learning the sequences and safe play, I was able to get through it around 25% of the time. Something I used to blow off as useless is such a fun and awarding feature now. Love it. I just wish I could change the music to Israel Kamakawiwo’s version

It's going to be QUITE a while until I'm that good

I think you could actually change the music - the JJP updates are fairly easy to change the files in, if I recall correctly, they're just WAV files that could be swapped out. Ok I mean not "easy" if you don't know how, but it could all be done with a regular computer and no special software

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It's going to be QUITE a while until I'm that good
    I think you could actually change the music - the JJP updates are fairly easy to change the files in, if I recall correctly, they're just WAV files that could be swapped out. Ok I mean not "easy" if you don't know how, but it could all be done with a regular computer and no special software

If it’s as easy as unpacking their files, find the wav file, replace it, then pack it all up again, I may have to try that. I’ll have to dig deeper into it if I ever I own a WOZ. Hope the YBR isn’t CE prices haha.

#21 5 years ago

As for the topic at hand.

Nothing worse than destroying the Death Star in Stern SW only to the entire fan fare music, call outs, sound effects neglected because of hyperspace or Tie fighter mb. That, and no score display for doing such an achievement.

#22 5 years ago

For me it was Grand Finale on Theatre of Magic. I really didn't know what was going on as it was the first night I bought the game, but it's just shoot the main shots again. Seems like there should have been more to it. My wife ended up videoing the game for me, which was nice to see it after the fact.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

If it’s as easy as unpacking their files, find the wav file, replace it, then pack it all up again, I may have to try that. I’ll have to dig deeper into it if I ever I own a WOZ. Hope the YBR isn’t CE prices haha.

Yep, and re-pack and then update. Now I have not tried this, I'm just doing it from observing the update process. If they have some kind of checksum on there which prevents the update, it may not work.

#24 5 years ago

Ahhh...Portal for me.

For me you have to have struggle in order to have a letdown; which is how I can't understand how Tour the Mansion is on here.

#25 5 years ago

I was watching a video of Total Nuclear Annihilation and the guy beat the last reactor and the game appeared to end. Seems pretty anti climactic.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

I was watching a video of Total Nuclear Annihilation and the guy beat the last reactor and the game appeared to end. Seems pretty anti climactic.

Good thing that almost nobody is good enough to finish the game

#27 5 years ago

Blackout

Big work up to light the saucer for BLACKOUT
    Hit the saucer and get a GREAT sound and lighting effect
    Your reward? A measly 30,000 points

#28 5 years ago

Theater of Magic's "grand" finale. Once you get there, nothing feels any different, and if you complete it your reward is "I knew you can do it" and some points. In a noisy room/arcade, you'd never even know you were playing the final mode or completed it.

#29 5 years ago

Lack of a wizard mode on Who Dunnit?, solve all the cases and then nothing.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

Playing Munsters for the first time.
    Monopoly - Land grab
    Pressing start on Hook

Is Munsters a certified dud? Last I heard TAF owners were selling machines as fast as they could to fund buying one.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from jp1985:

Is Munsters a certified dud? Last I heard TAF owners were selling machines as fast as they could to fund buying one.

Pretty early to make that call, but I'm not a big fan of much else aside from the ramps on the game. The code is kinda dumb right now, but it will evolve. There's time for it to become something different than what it is. If this is close to its finished state, then yeah, it'll be a dud in the long run.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Which games have the biggest letdown after a big buildup? I'm talking code-wise.
    I nominate STTNG's Warp sequence. Making it to Warp 9.9 just gives you some more points with no congratulations or fanfare, it's just over.

The completion may be lackluster but you have admit, it is a blast to go for. I may be biased though, I love that game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-s-biggest-anticlimaxes-?hl=robertstone0407 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.