42 days ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 41 days ago by V4Vendetta
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 42 days ago

Ten years ago, nobody would have bet on a future revival pf classical pinballs.

And now, for three years or so, I observe openings of new pinball locations on a regular basis.

Recently in the lounge of a nearby multiplex (with original Medieval Madness and Monster Bash) here in Switzerland.

Another example in Singapore:
    https://www.todayonline.com/8days/seeanddo/thingstodo/sim-lim-square-cool-new-pinball-themed-club-sim-lim-square-basement-will

#2 42 days ago

All things old are new again!

#3 42 days ago

Starting to see more and more pinball in the Netherlands and Belgium too!

#4 42 days ago

Yeah, its been amazing. I think smartphones over the years while providing closer communication have also separated people more then ever. Humans for the most part crave some sort of real connection with others and interaction with the world. Smartphones don't do that, and most video games don't do that. Pinball however does, its game a lot of times played with others and exists physically in the real world.

I may actually say that smartphones have partially contributed to pinballs comeback as it made people desire a physical game. Same goes for why board games and D&D have also seen a resurgence over the past few years.

#5 42 days ago

Need to tap more countries like China , Korea etc. Although N. Korea Kim might go nuts for Total Nuclear Annihilation.

#6 42 days ago
    Quoted from chad:

Need to tap more countries like China , Korea etc. Although N. Korea Kim might go nuts for Total Nuclear Annihilation.

Yeah, but Kim would only get to play it once since on his first ball he would complete all objectives, reach wizard mode, and set the world's highest score. And just to make things challenging, he would play one-handed.

#7 42 days ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, its been amazing. I think smartphones over the years while providing closer communication have also separated people more then ever. Humans for the most part crave some sort of real connection with others and interaction with the world. Smartphones don't do that, and video games don't do that. Pinball however does, its game a lot of times played with others and exists physically in the real world.
    I may actually say that smartphones have partially contributed to pinballs comeback as it made people desire a physical game. Same goes for why board games and D&D have also seen a resurgence over the past few years.

I fully agree with you !!
    Furthermore, our youngsters and digital natives assess mass-networking via Facebook & Co as "pseudo-relationships", providing clickable On/Off-illusions.

#8 42 days ago

It's all of a piece with the return of vinyl (out-selling CDs), artisinal everything (beer, booze, food), americana music, etc. People are yearning for something more visceral, more tangible, less disposable. It's almost like every micro-brewery needs a game or two in the corner to provide that little bit of extra ambience.

Time will tell if it's just a fad. But nice to see while it lasts.

#9 42 days ago

I bought my first machine about 15 years ago, a restored (Keller) MB for $4K. At the time, the consensus was that it was a total waste of money for something that wouldn't get played after the novelty wore off, and that it was "weird". Despite that, I continued to pick up games like TOTAN,MM,AFM in nice shape for reasonable prices. I started at the top of the Pinside 100 and if I like the game I would buy it if I had the money, then move on to the next, with the exception of CFTBL and SS. I even picked up a beater CFTBL for $150, which is now a HEP. Unfortunately, those days are over, at least for the foreseeable future.

I think that what has happened is that modern video games lack the tactile feedback that pinball provides. Kind of like how slot machines are designed to keep you feeding them your money. I also feel that they are more fun than an Xbox when multiple people are playing, except Mario Kart. Whatever it is, I know where all my guests will head to after they first grab an adult beverage.

Quoted from 2manypins:

All things old are new again!

This is true, and ten years from now you might be able to pick up player's condition JP2 FOR $1500. If so, I saw it first!

#10 42 days ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

video games don't do that

MOST videogames don't do that.

Fixed that for you. Seems incomplete as you said it. It's really hard to say that all of them don't, when I met my wife through a game, and on multiple occasions have met up in person with people from the same game, and communicate regularly with people in the current MMO that I play....to the point that one of them encouraged me to upload some music I'd made 13+ years ago to Soundcloud..

#11 42 days ago
    Quoted from Frax:

MOST videogames don't do that.
    Fixed that for you. Seems incomplete as you said it. It's really hard to say that all of them don't, when I met my wife through a game, and on multiple occasions have met up in person with people from the same game, and communicate regularly with people in the current MMO that I play....to the point that one of them encouraged me to upload some music I'd made 13+ years ago to Soundcloud..

You're right, updated I remember playing Lord of the Rings Online for years and really enjoyed the sense of community with the people I regularly played with.

#12 42 days ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You're right, updated I remember playing Lord of the Rings Online for years and really enjoyed the sense of community with the people I regularly played with.

Hell yeah. I played on Elendilmir. My wife and I bought lifetime subs, only played for 4 years, but as long as we want to go back, we can, for free. That was the BEST 400 bucks we ever spent on one game! LOL.

#13 42 days ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Hell yeah. I played on Elendilmir. My wife and I bought lifetime subs, only played for 4 years, but as long as we want to go back, we can, for free. That was the BEST 400 bucks we ever spent on one game! LOL.

Lol! That's great. I also purchased the lifetime pass, played on Brandywine. We must both have a ton of points built up by now on the store. I read that content is still being added to the game after 12 years.

#14 41 days ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lol! That's great. I also purchased the lifetime pass, played on Brandywine. We must both have a ton of points built up by now on the store. I read that content is still being added to the game after 12 years.

Yeah, I mean...Turbine is basically tits-up and dissolved into Warner Games at this point, which blows... I'm not a fan of the company running LOTRO now, and Asheron's Call got shut down which is a travesty that I just can't even begin to forgive....

Been playing a lot of FFXIV. We're on the patched in content between the last expansion and the current one right now. Not too bad, I guess....considering what we've gone through was 3-4 years of content for veterans, and we've been playing less than a year. ;P

#15 41 days ago

I was a kid during the '90s and pinball machines were everywhere back then. Then in 2016 when I was on a trip to northern Michigan we stopped into a bar for some dinner and I saw a pinball machine in the corner of the room. My eyes lit up. I had a blast playing a few games of Shaq Attaq and after that, I was obsessed with learning all about pinball again. I loved finding machines here on Pinside that I'd played in my youth like T2, Twilight Zone, and the one I played a ton of Road Kings to learn more about. I don't have space for a machine of my own yet, but it's been a lot of fun being a part of the online fan community and finding places to play the past few years.

#16 41 days ago

Gizmodo recently did a story on Stranger Things pinball during their coverage of CES, and when they did their recap story at the end of the exhibition, they included it in their "Best of CES" list!

A mainstream tech blog (which is mostly staffed by and aimed primarily at Millennials) covering a pinball machine and touting the benefits of the "analog" experience it provides is definitely a good sign that the pinball revival isn't merely wishful thinking on our part and might have some real "teeth".

However, I am almost certain that the Stranger Things theme played no small part in getting their attention in the first place, and that the same pin with a dinosaur Rock band or 80s movie theme would have hardly been looked at twice (despite the great tech). This can serve as "Exhibit A" evidence that themes need to be modern and relevant in order to capture the imaginations of younger non-pinheads; "Boomer"-centric themes aren't going to cut it at this point, especially given that slagging that entire generation (and its cultural touchstones) at every opportunity seems to have become the trendy thing to do these days.

#17 41 days ago

I think Pinball Arcade on smartphone is the biggest reason behind pinball revival imo.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 6.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 119.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 24.50
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    $ 36.82
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Magazines/books
    The Flipper Room
    $ 24.00
    $ 219.00
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 46.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside