Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ifpapinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Twin Galaxies, in close partnership with the International Flipper Pinball Association (IFPA) has jointly decided to open the all-new adjudication process to the pinball community as an exciting experiment to see if competitive leaderboard pinball can once again take place successfully on the Twin Galaxies scoreboards!

The inaugural pinball game is The Walking Dead from Stern Pinball (http://www.sternpinball.com/games/the-walking-dead/pro) and there is a special BOUNTY reward for the player who is able to hold on to the #1 rank spot!!!

Whomever is in the #1 rank position by SCS Day (February 13th, 2016, 6pm CST) will receive $100 cash, a custom TWD trophy, and signed TWD translite.

“We are very excited about this opportunity to work with Twin Galaxies and bring more options into the competitive pinball world,” said Josh Sharpe, President of the IFPA, “we hope that the Twin Galaxies leaderboards can be a fun way to have year round competition in-between our official IFPA events!”

“It is an honor to be working with Josh Sharpe and the Pinball community. It is our fondest wish to be able to bring additional value and recognition to pinball players everywhere and help include them into the overall worldwide perception electronic gaming community that Twin Galaxies fiercely supports.”

If you are new to Twin Galaxies and want to compete, you can visit this link to learn how to sign up (its free!)
    http://www.twingalaxies.com/help

The Twin Galaxies rules and competitive track can be found here:
    http://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=197392&ref=fbshare

A tutorial on how to record your pinball submission can be found here:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8eeEvH3m4jaL4vKSDxVJM9QCYOvHaQiq

Any questions please contact the IFPA at [email protected]

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

How do things like pitch get accounted for?

There's a demo video of how you show the settings of your game.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8eeEvH3m4jaL4vKSDxVJM9QCYOvHaQiq

This link shows all the hardware and software requirements:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=197392&ref=fbshare

We require version 1.41 or newer (up to the player) and allow pro/premium/LE (again up to the player submitting).

Like our King of the Ring campaign it's completely FREE to enter, and is a test to see if something like this can actually be pulled off globally. Time will tell ...

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

No check for hacked / moded roms?

The biggest part of this process is the vetting process of results. This is what TG uses for their video game high score submissions. Every submission gets peer reviewed and there's a chance for reviewers to comment on the video and bring to light and perceived shenanigans. The reputation of the player submitting is on the line with each submission so YMMV in terms of finding ways to cheat and then hiding that throughout the entire video submission.

Some 'advantages' will just exist (for example carpeted floor versus concrete floor), but that's what makes this experimental. Gotta start with something

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Also what is the rule on game play bugs? (TG does have some rules for Video games that kind of cover that)
    Stuck balls? (they did not list any thing about that there rules are for that?)
    Broken / not fully working games? (makes peer reviewed a little iffy for people who may not know if a game is working right but see something that makes them thing it is broken)
    They say ball saver off but valid playfield is still on and will save balls for that.

Everything will be comment-able in the peer review process

Good luck freeing a stuck ball on video and accidentally knocking down 4 sets of drop targets.

Valid playfield is also something that is easily comment-able:

One user posts "at 13 minutes he plunged ball two, drained and got the ball back and the display still showed ball two"

Second user posts "that's fine, the playfield wasn't valid because he only hit the following switches"

At some point everything will come down to the smell test (or in this case the sight test).

If we were playing for $100,000 I'd offer Lyman half of that to put in some cheater flipper code, and chances are enough people know how the game SHOULD be behaving, that I'll be busted for the game giving out points it shouldn't be giving out.

I nominate you Joe to review every video submission for fairness. Nobody will sneak anything by you

And to limit the audience to PRO OR LE just doesn't make sense for this initial push. We're not starting this campaign by already making things confusing from the start. Set up any walking dead to our specs, get that camera going, and join in the fun!

#14 8 years ago

Seriously, that wasn't Twin Galaxies. That was just me and my poor grammar skills on display (490 verbal SAT ftw!)

I'll be sure to fix that as to not impact our ability for this campaign to be taken seriously

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

What are the specs on where and how many cameras are to be placed? One continuous video or multiple vids from verification till end game? What has to be visible at all times in a submission video? At the end of a game does the submitter need to verify all requirements still intact?
    Sure can think of more later. Much harder to make a pinball video submission than a videogame one that ensures everything is legit I'd think.
    Good luck with the submissions.

We're learning as we go Todd. "Do the best you can to show how much you're not cheating" is my motto.

So one continuous shot would be beneficial. I wouldn't bother showing the setup after the game if you do that. The peer review process over time will hopefully dictate what becomes the most acceptable way to submit.

When I submit mine I plan on doing the one continuous shot, Blair Witch cam and all while I show off all the settings, followed by me trying to mount my camera on the rig, followed by me realizing I mounted it backwards, followed by me correcting it, followed by me playing 10 games in a row and not having any good ones so I can delete the file

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

And seriously, a $100 prize? TW needs to stop acting like this is 1981. Who would go through this effort for $100? Heck, I'll pay $101 to whoever finishes 2nd.

Kaneda ... Bro ... The $100 is coming out of my own pocket because I wanted to seed this thing with SOMETHING

TG is simply offering the website, space to host the videos, and allowing us to be part of their enormous world on the video game side to see if we (IFPA) get any benefit out of it.

I'll gladly take your $101 if you're serious so we can give that away, and I'll bump up first place to $102 (plus a Coast 2 Coast Tshirt that Nate shivers has donated to help raise the pot).

Like most campaigns we do it's super grass roots, and super not flashy.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

No worries bro. Who's even running Twin Galaxies these days? Is Richie Knucklez still part of it? Or is it 1Up?

We got a random email into the IFPA inbox from Jace Hall who appears to be "Head Custodian" for Twin Galaxies (whatever that means).

I had a couple of phone calls with Jace to talk through the logistics of how it will all work, and we're giving it a shot to see if it goes anywhere with home owners.

If it doesn't no big deal ... If it does we'll expand the game list and try to do more of these global his score challenge events.

PM me for where to send that $101

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I for one cannot imagine uploading a gazillion megabyte file when I rock a 45 minute game of TWD!

I actually asked them about it and they have video game submissions in the multiple hours (plural) that they have had to deal with.

I could go on about some compression they do on their site to handle everything, or they have mountains of servers to be able to handle it, but honestly I have no idea .... Jace simply laughed and said that wouldn't be an issue for us.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Just seems like a lot of work for $100

I've done a ton more work for a lot less than that over the years

2 months later
    #45 8 years ago

http://www.ifpapinball.com/jon-replogle-world-record-holder-on-the-walking-dead-pinball/

Unfortunately . . . a complete bust. The world couldn't handle this awesomeness

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ifpapinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-returns-to-twin-galaxies-with-worldwide-walking-dead-tournamen?tu=ifpapinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.