Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 96 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by nvu4prod
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

screen-capture (resized).png
    upgraded (resized).png
    Stern Tombstone 2 types (resized).png
    IMG_20170923_162059520 (resized).jpg
    Stern Tombstone & Bally Comparison (resized).png
    backs (resized).png
    1532184323920561422884 (resized).jpg
    MontyPython (resized).jpg
    image-29 (resized).jpg
    meteordt (resized).jpg
    There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Has anyone called PBR today? I'm unable to get through and wasn't sure if it was just me? I know they were on vacation last week because when I called I got their voice mail saying they would be back today.

#2 5 years ago

its still early if they just got back from vacation maybe give them a bit to settle back in. Im sure they have a lot to catch up on after some time off.

#3 5 years ago

Busy signal?

They always tend to be busier on Mondays when people call in their weekend discoveries. Just keep trying or try later.

#4 5 years ago

Yes, I just got off the phone with them about 10 minutes ago and placed an order.

#5 5 years ago

I guess I should have clarified. I'm getting a "Number not in service" message.

#6 5 years ago

The number on their site: 845-473-7114

Make sure you aren't flipping digits around or something.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I guess I should have clarified. I'm getting a "Number not in service" message.

Oh no, nothing like that. I had busy signals and then it eventually rang through. Number I used was 845-473-7114.

#8 5 years ago

Email them. Jimmy is pretty quick to respond.

#9 5 years ago

You guys who call PBR are brave!

#10 5 years ago

I've always had great service via email.

#11 5 years ago

I think everyone needs to call at least once and get yelled at by Steve for not having part numbers as sort of a rite of passage in this hobby. I email now, and typically get a quick response. That reminds me, I need to put an order in!

#12 5 years ago

How is it possible I've been calling PBR for 16 years and never been yelled at once?

I think it must be my winning personality and gentle demeanor.

#13 5 years ago

Were they shutdown last week or this week for vacation?

#14 5 years ago

20 years ago I was " Told have numbers" . If anything , give Steve as much info on the part/item. He'll know!!!

#15 5 years ago

Steve always offers information and insight if you give him a chance.

#16 5 years ago

Funniest Pinball Resource story I have is when I was trying to order a few parts for a Haunted House machine a few years ago and they had the part numbers wrong on their site. I called and told them and for the first 3 or 4 tries I kept getting told "we need the part number" then when they finally realized they screwed up they never said another work just "how many of those do you need".

Steve & Pinball Resource is hands down the best source for parts & knowledge. Just be sure to have the part number when you call

#17 5 years ago

I've always called them and never had an issue ordering. Most of the time I don't know the part number and now that I've been digging into things further than replacing rubbers, half the time I don't even know what the part is called.

Steve has always been really nice to me on the phone.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How is it possible I've been calling PBR for 16 years and never been yelled at once?

Same. Though, I’ve only ever been chastised for asking for too many of a single part.

Actually, I remember it vividly. It was probably back in like 2008. Little high school me had just taken over my dad’s failed attempt to bring back a garage sale find back from the dead, so I called him and ordered like 10 pieces of flexstone (at the time, I had no clue how much I needed, or if it would wear out quickly, or whatever. All I knew was Clay’s guides at the time referenced it constantly, so I thought I’d need a boat load.)

He snapped back “what do you need all THAT for!?” And I said sheepishly “uh, it’s for a Gottlieb 2001.”

After a little back and forth, he placed my order for all that flexstone. I’ve only ever used like 3 pieces, and only because I lose it in the game, and don’t have the energy to go digging for it, but then find it like a year later when I’m fixing something else that broke. In the end though, he was right, and I still have that little baggie full of strips of flexstone. At least now I’ll have all the flexstone I’ll ever need in life lol

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

He snapped back “what do you need all THAT for!?” And I said sheepishly “uh, it’s for a Gottlieb 2001.”

Steve is extremely good at knowing exactly what you do and don't need and how much of it lol.

#20 5 years ago

Half of it is he is from the east coast. They talk louder and more abruptly than us midwesterners are used to. Not a big deal and its not personal.

Steve can be very helpful and tell you about things you had no idea you needed. If you have your part numbers, even if not everything is perfect, it tells him you did your homework instead of rely on him to figure out what it is you need. I don't blame him. And I kind of laugh when I get "yelled" at. I enjoy the call to PBR. Sometimes an adventure and never know what you might learn.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Turtle:

I've always had great service via email.

Email doesn't open til tomorrow

#22 5 years ago

I used PBR for the first time about 6 months ago when I got my Paragon and they had all the parts that I needed for a MUCH better price. Ordered via email with Jimmy. I love the 10% off for orders over $100 (that's the deal, right?) and that once the order is confirmed, all you need to do is send a check to pay for it. Couldn't be easier! The online catalog is old school (I wish they could implement a search feature), but you kind of get acquainted with it after a while. I haven't talked to Steve before, but I've read he'll yell at you for putting changing out flipper mechs that aren't originally in the game I kind of agree

#23 5 years ago

I think part of the reason I have never had a problem with Steve is my first order included a manual. That's the way he wants things done! And it probably amuses him talking to a laid back west coaster now and then.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I wish they could implement a search feature

In google, enter your search terms, then end it with site:pbresource.com

That will effectively only search that site.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I think part of the reason I have never had a problem with Steve is my first order included a manual. That's the way he wants things done! And it probably amuses him talking to a laid back west coaster now and then.

Don't lie, you don't use no stinkin' manuals!

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I used PBR for the first time about 6 months ago when I got my Paragon and they had all the parts that I needed for a MUCH better price. Ordered via email with Jimmy. I love the 10% off for orders over $100 (that's the deal, right?) and that once the order is confirmed, all you need to do is send a check to pay for it. Couldn't be easier! The online catalog is old school (I wish they could implement a search feature), but you kind of get acquainted with it after a while. I haven't talked to Steve before, but I've read he'll yell at you for putting changing out flipper mechs that aren't originally in the game I kind of agree

Helps keep the prices down....

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think it must be my winning personality and gentle demeanor.

I'm in the same boat and actually have a couple theories.

1. Pinball people can/will be, as we know, assholes with 0 social skills. So many of these people have been yelled out for being their idiot selves, have talked aboot it, then people are mindful aboot being respectful to them on the phone = no yelling?

2. You're both New York guys and scream at each other aboot meats, sauces, & pinball which is just normal talking to you?

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

2. You're both New York guys and scream at each other aboot meats, sauces, & pinball which is just normal talking to you?

Likely this.

#29 5 years ago

Steve and gloria are beyond platinum in my book.

#30 5 years ago

Only thing is I wish they would get the classic Stern drop targets right. They are far from it....

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Only thing is I wish they would get the classic Stern drop targets right. They are far from it....

Tru 'dat... tru 'dat

#32 5 years ago

So Damn true

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You should probably call Steve and yell at him.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

You should probably call Steve and yell at him.

But make sure that you have the right part number for the drop target first.

#35 5 years ago

What's wrong with their Stern DTs? The shape or the printing?

#36 5 years ago

The sizing is wrong and they stick up too far. Also he only has the tombstone style.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

The sizing is wrong and they stick up too far. Also he only has the tombstone style.

I would expect that he is using the same tooling at Foremost plastics as Stern did back in the day. In fact, perhaps Stern/Data East made a change and that's what you get now?

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Maybe put a washer or two between the assembly and playfield to compensate?

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Email them. Jimmy is pretty quick to respond.

Agreed!!!
    Jimmy is da man.
    Thanks
    Blake

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What's wrong with their Stern DTs? The shape or the printing?

Quoted from CactusJack:

I would expect that he is using the same tooling at Foremost plastics as Stern did back in the day. In fact, perhaps Stern/Data East made a change and that's what you get now?

Don't know if they ever changed but they are completely diff'rent. It's like I want Prosciutto and the guy gives me Pancetta like I'm supposed to put this in my mamas Amatriciana sauce? Eh oh, what am I an asshole over here?
    image-29 (resized).jpgimage-29 (resized).jpgmeteordt (resized).jpgmeteordt (resized).jpg

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

You guys who call PBR are brave!

That's the only way I have ever dealt with them and have to say I get great service.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

That's the only way I have ever dealt with them and have to say I get great service.

I always do email, and then one time instead of a 'confirmed', I got a response back of 'call me' -- which I think is Steve's short hand for "I have no freaking clue what you are asking for, dumb ass"

#43 5 years ago

Rule #1. Never call on Monday

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Don't know if they ever changed but they are completely diff'rent. It's like I want Prosciutto and the guy gives me Pancetta like I'm supposed to put this in my mamas Amatriciana sauce? Eh oh, what am I an asshole over here?

Stern switched over from the tombstone/chiclet style to the hooded/ribbed style at some point, and I don't think anyone has made stern tombstone drop targets since.

I remember reading somewhere that the idea of the change was to prevent ball hang ups by covering more of the hole in the playfield.

The games that originally came with tombstone style targets were:

Dracula
    Hot Hand
    Lectronamo
    Magic
    Memory Lane
    Nugent
    Stars
    Stingray
    Trident
    Wild Fyre
    Meteor
    Galaxy

Meteor was a little different, where earlier in the run, all the drops were tombstone targets, but later in the run it started changing to the hooded style.

I'm guessing the tooling for the tombstone targets was lost at some point, which is why they haven't been reproduced, despite popular demand.

#45 5 years ago

I love Steve! The First Time he yelled at me was 1979 or 1980!

He hasnt stopped!!!

I met him at a show in upstate NY, with Daniel Meade, Dick Beuschel, and Gordon Hasse...

Geez, like Yesterday!

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Stern switched over from the tombstone...

Nice! Now we know.

#47 5 years ago

Just to throw in my story, the first time I called, once he got my information, he said “Alright, we’ll send it out”. My response was “Don’t you want my credit card number?”

He replied “And what am I going to do with that?”

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I love Steve! The First Time he yelled at me was 1979 or 1980!
    He hasnt stopped!!!
    I met him at a show in upstate NY, with Daniel Meade, Dick Beuschel, and Gordon Hasse...
    Geez, like Yesterday!

I'm right there with you...proud customer #158. Steve hasn't asked me my customer number in years.

Frank -

#49 5 years ago

Do these replacement drop targets - despite not looking original - function correctly when installed in the different era game?

#50 5 years ago

The first time that I called him I had just purchased my first pin, a Stern Seawitch. I told him it was my first pin and he said it was a horrible choice for my first pin. He says what he's thinking without a filter. My second call to Steve was to see if he could make a hot stamp Star Gazer pop bumper cap and I explained that a lot of people want the original style cap, not a blank cap and place a decal on it. He said that the die would cost $400. I offered to pay the die fee and that I would order a large number, maybe 150 caps if he promised he wouldn't make any more and I'd resell them. He argued with me for a while, but refused to seriously consider my offer.

Steve has done a lot for this hobby, making drop targets and pop bumper caps, and custom making parts for the hobby so it's not all bad news. For instance no one made the bats for pitch and bat games for many years. Someone asked Steve to develop and manufacture bats that are universal for pitch and bat games. Steve did this so now these old pitch and bat games can be restored. I bought some parts and tools from him, and I occasionally buy from him, but I always order via email from Jimmy. I'm a customer and I just don't need to be talked down to. I can buy from Marco's, Pinball Life or Bay Area Amusements, and none of them are rude to me.

There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-resource-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.