You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

STTNGboard (resized).jpg
Switch matrix (resized).jpg
stuckball - Copy (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Inherited Star Trek TNG pinball machine, not sure how to get it back up to snuff. The story is my girlfriends parents had 3 pinball machines in there basement bar, they ended up being moved across the country with the backboxs upright. We sold two but I had to keep the STTNG one it also was in the best shape after the move thankfully.

The startup menu gives the following errors:
Check switch F7 spinner
Check switch 83 made left ramp
Check switch 56 r.bank bottom
Check switch 18 right out lane

It seems fairly playable though a ball did get stuck in one position that I don't believe came up came up in the errors see picture.

On a side note when we sold the other 2 pinball machines the person we sold them to remark that all three had a similar modification to their main boards he hadn't seen before. Also on the s/n sticker on the back of the game the 230 volts is scratched out and 120 is written in.

stuckball - Copy (resized).jpgstuckball - Copy (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

You may have to replace those 4 switches. Typically you remove the diode and actuator from the old switch and reuse it. Be sure and connect the wires and diode exactly the same on the new switch.

Can't see why the ball would be stuck there. Maybe the pitch is too shallow.

#3 6 years ago

Welcome to the wonderful world of pinball repair/maintenance!

STTNG has a feature where if a switch is not triggered in some number of games, it assumes the switch is broken and reports it on the tech report that you saw. Take the glass off, start a game, grab the ball off the playfield. Try manually triggering those switches with your finger or a ball. If they register, great! Forget about the error messages. If they don't register, report back and we can help you troubleshoot.

The fact that your game has 230V scratched out probably means it was originally sold overseas. Now that it is back in the USA, we call those re-imports. Look at the coin slots in the coin door and tell us what coin denomination is on the coin slots.

Can you post a picture of the main board modification you are referring to?

#4 6 years ago

Keep in mind that if a switch hasn't been activated in 30 games it will show in the test report. Try activating those by hand then resetting the game to see if any clear. Could also be more than one problem. There could be a broken wire or two at other working switches not passing the row or column signal to the failing switch.

As far as the stuck ball, it looks like you have two stacked rubber rings on the left, and the lower one is sticking out from what I see in the pic. I think there is only supposed to be one ring there.

#5 6 years ago

got some more pics of the game? interesting.

#6 6 years ago

Some of those switches are probably optos, not physical switches

#7 6 years ago

Some good advice on here, some horrible advice and horrible dart throwing before doing research (optos).

Those mentioning the switches not being triggered are correct. It could be as simple as activating the switches in question. See the attached image for their locations.

Open your coin door, there are four buttons. Press the button on the right a few times until you get to the menu. Use the second to right button to get to "Test" menu. Enter by hitting the right button. Select the first option "Switch Edge Test". Now activate the switches in question. You should hear a beep when it is activated and it will state the switch number on the screen. Once you activate all the switches in question then exit the menu by hitting the far left button several times. If you don't hear a beep when you activate the switch there is a problem with the switch. Look for broken wires, etc.

Switch matrix (resized).jpgSwitch matrix (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for the responses especially Djshakes for the step by step.

error codes: I ran the test on all the switches in question and all passed except for 18 right out lane which didn't beep but I unfortunately didn't have time tonight to lift the playfield and troubleshoot it.

stuck ball: there was only one rubber ring but I did check the pitch and it was under by several degrees. Thanks spidey

coin slots: they are in 1 2 and 5 DM so it seems as though it went the Germany and back if I'm not mistaken @Schwaggs. Also here is a picture of the board for anyone interested though I couldn't tell the deference between a modified one and a stock one STTNGboard (resized).jpgSTTNGboard (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

STTNG is a GREAT game. If you haven't done so, my advice would be to go through the diagnostics and test everything (all switches, all lamps, all flashers, all solenoids, all general illumination). Aside from the issues you see at startup, I'm guessing you'll find other minor issues. Make a list of the problems found and tackle them one-at-a-time. One thing I noticed in your photo, it looks like the connectors at J120 and J121 are hacked (and possibly slightly burnt), so I'm curious as to whether or not all of your general illumination is working.

#10 6 years ago

While you're at it, plan to get those batteries off board, or use NVRAM.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from fathermystic:

I unfortunately didn't have time tonight to lift the playfield and troubleshoot it.

As with any game, be sure to remove the balls before lifting the playfield. In this game, it's especially important because you can damage the subway if you don't. There is an option in the test menu (the last one, 16 I think) to remove the balls from the playfield. After selecting it, you'll have to close the coin door or manually activate the coin door switch in order for the game to release all the balls (6).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 64.99
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 15.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-repair-virgin-any-help-would-be-welcome-star-trek-tng-93 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.