New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 50525)

Pinball repair technician near Boston MA.?

By mcclad

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mmaz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I am looking for a pinball tech near Boston who can actually repair a machine. I had one person come to my house to work on three machines and after 3 hours, nothing got fixed and I was out a pile of cash. Does anyone know of a reputable person or company that does this professionally? I don't mind paying the high prices I just would like something in return. Like a working machine. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 7 years ago

There's lots of talented Pinball people in the area, mostly in the form of collectors themselves. There's lots of resources here too! What games are broken, and what's wrong with em?

#3 7 years ago

Black Rose- line short. Game plays, but does not kick out the ball from broadside shot
Strikes N Spares bowling game-powers up but does not start
BSD Dracula-powers up, game starts, no power to solenoids or GI
If I post a tread looking fo help I get zero responses.

If someone locally could help out I would gladly pay them. It just sucks agreeing to $75.00 an hour and after 3 hours everything is exactly the same way when the "tech" first walked through the door. I heard, "Its probably something stupid like a broken wire." over and over. Yea, well I'm paying you TO FIND THE PROBLEM!!!!!! Instead of telling me what it could be, find out what it is. I was hoping that someone else had a positive experience with someone who knew what they were doing. I do not like throwing money away.

#4 7 years ago

Point out the threads, I'll respond. I can't remember seeing them. I'll go look.

Could not find a BSD post started by you. Post one and lets get him fixed. No sol or GI could be fuse or shot supply.

Same with the other two pins.

I'd say I would drive down and fix them but I'd not have any parts with me. I could come down and help you isolate the problem. May be a week as I'd have to take a day out of work. Weekends are already booked for the next couple at least.

Lets try a virtual fix first.

#5 7 years ago

Mcclad- I left a recommendation in your Pinmail.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

It just sucks agreeing to $75.00 an hour and after 3 hours everything is exactly the same way when the "tech" first walked through the door. I heard, "Its probably something stupid like a broken wire." over and over. Yea, well I'm paying you TO FIND THE PROBLEM!!!!!!

You should demand most of your money back! That's just poor customer service.
I repair Amps, Synths and FX, along with Pinball, and I would never, ever charge a Customer for not fixing their gear.

Quoted from Patofnaud:

Lets try a virtual fix first.

I agree with Pat. Start a thread and I'm positive you will get help.
Make it easier on yourself and start with the Pin you want fixed first. Then we'll go to the next Pin

#7 7 years ago

Thanks to all who responded. Tomorrow I will start a new thread.

#8 7 years ago

Will be watching for it. Already downloaded a BSD manual..

Pat

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from pdman:

You should demand most of your money back! That's just poor customer service.
I repair Amps, Synths and FX, along with Pinball, and I would never, ever charge a Customer for not fixing their gear.

Totally agree. No money exchanges hands unless something is fixed in my book. I'm always happy to look at games or other electronics for people, but I don't expect any payment for my time if I can't fix it or am at a loss.

#10 7 years ago

Please tell us who this person is, so no other New England collectors ever have to use this person.

#11 7 years ago

I've had similar experiences in my early days. Even recently, l had board work done with someone that a lot of local people said ''is the guy to send stuff to''
problem is, l wasn't friends or ''in'' with the guy, and l got bent over. Some of the boards he repaired didn't work correctly. He ended up bitching to people that l owed him money, but l was still with some boards that were not functional= a flip side to the coin, and me being out a lot of money with no real resolve. Bad experience, lesson learned l guess.

#12 7 years ago

Try Sarah at the Pinball Wizard Arcade in Pelham, NH. Not that far away and I know she does repairs as well. About to take a board to her myself. I don't have the number handy, but just google the arcade and you'll have the info. If you haven't been there it is worth the short trip. Good old fashioned arcade on steroids. 80+ pinball machines with all the rest of the arcade trimmings in an up-to-date 2010's format (clean, comfy, no smoking, etc..)

#13 7 years ago

I second Sarah at Pinball Wizard. She's been very helpful.

#14 7 years ago

Sarah is very good, Keith at K's Arcade is very good, but until you know what is wrong you won't know what needs to be repaired not worth sending out boards.

#15 7 years ago

I got a guy who will come to your house to fix your pinballs. He always used to work on mine so PM me if you are interested.

#16 7 years ago

On my BSD, I have no GI and there seems to be no power going to most of the coils. There is one coil that keeps pulsing. All the switches seem to work. I was told that it could be a power supply problem. Would it be possibl to take a board out of my Black Rose and try putting it the BSD? I would think that all of those boards should be the same. If I can do it, which one should I start with? This is the game that I would like to get running the most.

#17 7 years ago

Do you have a meter?
Do you have a manual? Here is a link to the IPDB one, download the English Manual
http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=dracula&sortby=name&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

First fix the obvious...

On BSD, page 3-16 General Illumination is 6.3vac and comes off the transformer then into the power driver J113/J115 and is protected by a Slow Blow fuse. Is that fuse correct and good?

If it is good, the look at J120/J121 those connector are infamous for burning up.
Page 3-35 is a pict of the Power Driver board,
Page 3-36 is the pinouts of J120 (GI to backbox) and J121 (GI to playfield)

If you have neither GI on the Playfield and Backbox AND the fuse is good, then you have a Power Driver problem that needs component repair

If you have neither GI on the Playfield and Backbox AND the fuse is bad, you have/had a short on either PF or Backbox. Try another fuse, if it blows, disconnect J120/J121 and try again. If that does not blow, put on connector back until you isolate where it blows.

If you have backbox OR playfield GI but not both, then you definitely are looking at a J120 or J121 problem.

Hope this gets you started.

6 months later
#18 6 years ago

I PMd a couple of you but I'm not sure if anyone is still following this thread. I too live in the same area as the original poster (Southeastern, MA) and need to have a pinball machine repaired. Can anyone recommend a reliable tech?

I have a Williams Star Trek: The Next Generation pinball machine with a broken left gun. When the ball is loaded into the gun, it just stays there, doesn't shoot, and the gun no longer rotates. I ran a test and it said to check switches 31 and 48??? I tried a solenoid test, the right gun went through the test fine, but when I tried running the test on the left gun, nothing happened.

I have no clue about fixing a pinball machine, my children and grand children love playing it so it’s really disappointing when the ball gets stuck and we have to shut down and open the machine to get it out. Any help is appreciated!

#19 6 years ago

PM sent Daizy.

#20 6 years ago

You need Allan. He's #1

6 months later
#21 6 years ago

I am looking for a pinball tech near Tewksbury, ma or Boston who can repair a gottlieb high hand 1973. Does anyone know of a person or company that does this professionally? Any help would be appreciated. The flippers are not working and the ball gets stuck. may have some other problems but I am not sure all lights come on and suggestions on who to call?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
PinSound

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside