Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by HeatedCane
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

So when I was growing up my dad had the 1979 Flash Pinball machine I used to love playing when I was about 4 or 5 years old.. eventually we moved and it stopped working and we stored it in my dad garage for 20 plus years... so one day about a year ago I decided to bring it back to life... after replacing all the boards, displays, and some resoldering my dad and I got it to work. a few days later my dad went to turn it on and it started to smoke from inside the cabinet on the left side and stopped working... my dad and I couldn't figure out how to fix it.. so my dad gave up and I got addicted pinballs.. it is in rough shape cosmetically from termite damage, discoloring, heat, and age but I just want it to be playable and continue to keep it in the family. So I hired one guy to take a look at through a friend of a friend and his name was Ron from south florida and he was absolutely terrible... I then got in contact with this guy Manny Sosa.. but this time I decided to do research and it brought me to pinside and everything I read was terrible so cut off contact and decided to reach out to find someone in the Miami area the has a good reputation, timely, and fair prices.. is there anyone with good references that can help me out? I am still very new to pinball machines and im still learning.. thanks!

#2 3 years ago

hey man, welcome to Pinside! pinball is a great hobby. hopefully someone in the area can help you out. if not, the rest of us can probably be of assistance helping to diagnose and advising on repairs, if you're interested in learning that side of things. personally, i get as much satisfaction out of fixing and modding these games as i do from playing them. good luck!

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

hey man, welcome to Pinside! pinball is a great hobby. hopefully someone in the area can help you out. if not, the rest of us can probably be of assistance helping to diagnose and advising on repairs, if you're interesting in learning that side of things. personally, i get as much satisfaction out of fixing and modding these games as i do from playing them. good luck!

Thanks for the welcome it's greatly appreciated!! Yea once I build up my confidence, learn more, and improve my soldering skills it will definitely be more enjoyable to fix on my own! I will probably end up just using the awesome pinball community to help me out over a "pinball tech" because I haven't had much luck with them. lol

#4 3 years ago

cool story thanks for sharing

I'm sure you'll find someone here that can help you out. I don't know a lot like others on this forum but I had a firepower and had to do some repairs on it. both are kinda similar

Those early Williams can be a pain to figure out

Can you see what was fried that caused the smoke? or have a picture of it, it may help getting you in the right direction.

does the game do anything turned on and of course have you checked all the fuses

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

cool story thanks for sharing
I'm sure you'll find someone here that can help you out. I don't know a lot like others on this forum but I had a firepower and had to do some repairs on it. both are kinda similar
Those early Williams can be a pain to figure out
Can you see what was fried that caused the smoke? or have a picture of it, it may help getting you in the right direction.
does the game do anything turned on and of course have you checked all the fuses

yea I checked all the fuses and everything was intact.. that's the thing there was smoke but I didn't see anything burnt.. it came from the left side of the playfield around the halfway point. I don't think it any of the boards, and or the fuses.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from HeatedCane:

it came from the left side of the playfield around the halfway point

check left side slingshot coil ?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

check left side slingshot coil ?

Yea I checked out the slingshot coil along with all the coils on the play field multiple times.. but I failed to check the coil next to the soundboard on the side of the cabinet.. I just never really noticed it.. and sure enough when I pushed it, it would get stuck! so hopefully I may have found the issue!

#8 3 years ago

The knocker coil siezed? Sheesh!

Stop playing so well and you won't have these problems!

#9 3 years ago

welcome and congrats on getting the game back working that you played as a kid. It might look like heck but don't sell it... there's sentimental value there you you may not recognize now.

#10 3 years ago

yeah usually if I cant figure it out I take some time away from the game and then look at it with a fresh set of eyes.

its amazing how many times I find the problem right away after that

hope you can get your game going it will need some more TLC probably after sitting for so long

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Law:

The knocker coil siezed? Sheesh!
Stop playing so well and you won't have these problems!

hahaha yea weird!

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

yeah usually if I cant figure it out I take some time away from the game and then look at it with a fresh set of eyes.
its amazing how many times I find the problem right away after that
hope you can get your game going it will need some more TLC probably after sitting for so long

That's definitely true! sometimes your eyes and mind need a break from the maze of wires, coils, and circuit boards!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside