(Topic ID: 44080)

Pinball Reliability Engineering

By Pinder

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

30x.jpg
    droptarget.png
    There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

As stated in another thread, named, "I Believe pinball can make a comeback on location...........!!!", it is a tough world out there for the pinball operator. Taxes, insurance, the rising cost of games, and maintenance costs and reliability are just some of the challenges the modern pinball operator faces every day. This thread was created with the following purposes:

1) Identify common mechanical and/or software issues in current pinball offerings
    2) Provide a forum to discuss possible solutions and engineering approaches
    3) Refine these solutions for presentation to manufacturers as an open source project

The overarching idea here is to get ideas in the wild which can be integrated into new machines. It is hoped that this will provide greater reliability for operators, reduced overhead, and in turn an environment which is more commercially viable. This may seem overly ambitious, but in the long view, many of the most revolutionary ideas start with a small step.

So I pose the question to you to start the ball rolling: What are your most common and vexing mechanical issues?

#2 11 years ago

Talking with a few people that have businesses (that COULD have pins), the first thing they tell me is they want a machine not costing upwards of 6 grand!

#3 11 years ago

Get rid of the steel balls.

You could build the greatest and most reliable game ever.

But you have steel balls moving around at three or four miles an hour. Eventually things will break.

Get rid of the balls.

LTG : )

#4 11 years ago

What material could be used that's not so damaging? Wood?

#5 11 years ago

Viper Night Driving had a pretty cool solution to the issue.

Tony

#6 11 years ago

I see your point, Lloyd. What alternatives could be used without sacrificing reliability?

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You could build the greatest and most reliable game ever.
    But you have steel balls moving around at three or four miles an hour. Eventually things will break.
    Get rid of the balls.

Maybe more like 10 to 15 miles per hour max

#8 11 years ago

So to be more specific, let's break down the most sensitive parts of a standard pinball machine:

- Drop Targets
    - Ramps
    - Switches

Just thinking out loud here, but what could be done mechanically to cushion the blow of a steel ball smacking into a drop target? Foam insert with a leaf contact behind it? I'm thinking a foam front, transparent, wedged between a contact switch and LED on the back.

#9 11 years ago

Getting rid of the steel balls would be huge towards reliability. However, we are all so used to the feel of the steel ball in the game that it is pretty much hand in hand. I'm sure, however, that there might be an alternative. I'm not chemist by any stretch of the imagination, but sure there has to be something that could be molded to the same dimensions and general weight, without being as abrasive or reckless.

#10 11 years ago

There are some plastics that are almost indestructible, no?

#11 11 years ago

Ball traps are one problem.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Maybe more like 10 to 15 miles per hour max

Korn clocked them and wrote up about it on RGP.

More like 3 or 4.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinder:

I see your point, Lloyd. What alternatives could be used without sacrificing reliability?

You can't. It's the nature of the beast.

Players need a steel ball.

No matter how bullet proof you make something. Enough hits will get it.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

Getting rid of the steel balls would be huge towards reliability. However, we are all so used to the feel of the steel ball in the game that it is pretty much hand in hand. I'm sure, however, that there might be an alternative. I'm not chemist by any stretch of the imagination, but sure there has to be something that could be molded to the same dimensions and general weight, without being as abrasive or reckless.

if you keep it the same size and weight you are keeping the same denisty. Since the mass and velocity would be the same the destruction would be too. and 80 gram wooden ball imparts as much force as a 80g metal one. only mitigating thing is the wood ball would absorb some impact and get deformed.

#15 11 years ago

Smarty pants!

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

This was going to be my suggestion too.

I'm not claiming that there can't be improvements, but if you look at the history of pinball you'll see that things are pretty refined. The pop bumper is pretty much unchanged in its entire history. Why? Because it works reliably. Flippers have been pretty stable in their design for what, 25 years? Drop targets are all pretty refined and similar between manufacturers. Stern made some changes to stand up target's brackets that improved their reliability over WMS stand ups. WMS monkeyed with flipper buttons and optos and Stern has shown that is unnecessary by sticking with leaf switches.

Anyway, my point is that there have been small incremental improvements over the years, but current designs are pretty refined based on decades of things breaking. And stuff still breaks. And it will break. A pinball machine is a mechanical device with a steel ball bashing everything in sight. Things can always improve, but things breaking is the nature of the game and we'll never get rid of that. You're not asking bad questions, I just don't see any earth-shattering answers out there.

http://www.wired.com/design/2012/10/ff-why-products-fail/

With regards to this question:
    "What are your most common and vexing mechanical issues? "

I don't really see broad vexing mechanical issues, the main generic stuff seems to work pretty good. It seems like the main issues are game specific: Hulk's arms, the breaking Tesseract, TZ's clock board, welds breaking on DE SW's center ramp, etc. I'm sure the manufacturers know how to prevent premature failure in a lot of these cases, but the decisions made come down to costs for materials, testing, and development. Since each game has new and unique features, there is always going to be a risk of things breaking prematurely.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinder:

What are your most common and vexing mechanical issues?

We know crap happens.

We know stuff will break and need to be fixed.

I would lean towards making the fix easier.

Ramps or mini playfields - hinge them or something so you don't have to tear apart half the machine to replace one rubber ring underneath.

#18 11 years ago

The only way to make a highly reliable version of pinball is digital. I know most people hate the idea and will probably flame me but I'd support a more polished and official visual pinball style pro built arcade machine for location along side real pins. Yeah it's not pinball but it would help get kids and establishments to put in pins and cause more interest in the hobby.

#19 11 years ago

Make everything modular and easy to get to. No solder.

#20 11 years ago

There are some other improvements I've thought of which may bring newer players to the games as well. Specifically I was thinking of an operator selectable option available to the player when starting which would ask the player their skill level. Based on the selection, the playfield would adjust automatically:

- Outlane posts would expand/contract based on level
    - Ramps and other features would adjust based on level
    - Modes would be enabled and disabled based on level
    - Replay percentage would adjust based on level as well

Also, there are advances in networking technology which would be helpful to the operator as well. For one thing, users could register for rewards, either with a reader (proximity) or standard login/password prompt. Players could register for tournaments, and their scores posted via SSL gateway (over integrated Wifi). In addition, it could provide the manufacturer with the ability to offer rewards for frequent players. This could drive business to the machines in the field, as the player would have an investment in continued play, turning a casual player into a more frequent one.

Another possibility from a reliability standpoint would be triggered audits which would be pushed to the operator over SSL, including:

- Tilt/Malfunction Notifications
    - Earnings Reports
    - Location Tracking
    - Remote Access to Internal Functions, including tests
    - Optional Remote Camera (which could be mounted to allow gameplay video for marketing purposes, or for security purposes)

One other thing that just came to mind is the fact that pinball machines are one of the few machines out there without mag stripe readers (for credit cards, gift cards, etc.). Why? With integrated networking capabilities, there is no reason why this functionality could not be added, so that instead of a player dropping in a dollar's worth of quarters, they are swiping their card for a few dollars or more. If a pop machine can support this, this should be a standard feature in newer machines as well.

Another possible feature which may be helpful is playfield obstruction detection using paired sets of criss-crossed optos which would detect issues such as broken plastics on the playfield. With this functionality, issues could be confirmed with the optional camera and a technician dispatched quickly to prevent further damage to the machine. In addition, the machine could be deactivated remotely while the tech is in route to the location. I also think much could be done with modularization of the playfield components using quick-connect assemblies, making for easier replacement and cheaper manufacturing due to reuse of standardized components. I think much can be done if we put our heads together.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

that could work, if everything was quick connects and just involved unscrewing the part. The problems with so many moving parts it may cause more common issues even if their easier to fix. I'd love a pin that's as easy as a pc to assemble and swap parts out but don't see it happening

#22 11 years ago

Basically take "the pin" that stern made, and scale it up. pcb assemblies under the playfield to make matrixes modular (replace entire chunks, service them later). Get rid of mechanical wire switches, switch to proximity (no contact, no wear.. solid state). Also get rid of crappy IDC connectors, there are far more robust and reliable connectors. Have a display troubleshooting (like oz, or pin2k). I'd say that would get rid of the bulk of your trouble issues (that take time to diagnose on location).

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

that could work, if everything was quick connects and just involved unscrewing the part. The problems with so many moving parts it may cause more common issues even if their easier to fix. I'd love a pin that's as easy as a pc to assemble and swap parts out but don't see it happening

I thought WOZ was heading in that direction...

#24 11 years ago

By the looks of the new P3 apron picture the solenoids now have some type of foam stops. This would, outside of cleaning, make these mechs maintenance free since you wouldn't need to replace coil stops and mushroomed plungers! Not to mention it would make the machine much quieter.

30x.jpg30x.jpg

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

The connectors are usually the problem with old pins.

Solder is pretty much failsafe - unless it is attached to connector pins...

#26 11 years ago

what about ceramic balls, they could be lighter, and not impart as much force

#27 11 years ago

Reliability doesnt do anything for generating customers. Thats the real problem. You need someone to put money into the machines and they need to be drawn to the machine, and understand what the hell it is that they are supposed to do when they get there.

Current machines have rule sets that require reading FAQ's, software updates that change the rules frequently, out of date insert cards and they cost a buck to play. Most people are intimidated to even play the dang things because of all the flashing we have these days, and given that over half of all US sales go into homes, there is no reason for a designer to make a machine that will grow an operaters business.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

Reliability doesnt do anything for generating customers.

Of course it does! Who wants to play a game that's broken??

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Of course it does! Who wants to play a game that's broken??

That doesnt stop most operators. As long as the flippers work and the balls kick into play, who cares if switch 16 is broken on the upper ramp and you cant score a jackpot. 90% of your customers dont care, or even notice, so why should you? Not to mention you cant tell if its broke until you put money in.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

That doesnt stop most operators. As long as the flippers work and the balls kick into play, who cares if switch 16 is broken on the upper ramp and you cant score a jackpot. 90% of your customers dont care, or even notice, so why should you? Not to mention you cant tell if its broke until you put money in.

this attitude is what kills on location pinball though. people do notice. ive had people play mine and tell me theyve never played a pin before that didn't take their money or rip them off

#31 11 years ago

Yep, I totally agree. When I play pinball in the wild I usually cant wait to get home so I can play a machine that I can hear, see, know it works, know its leveled and know its owned by someone that gives a crap.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

Not to mention you cant tell if its broke until you put money in.

True, but I wouldn't be shelling out any cash after that initial disappointment.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from royce6135:

what about ceramic balls, they could be lighter, and not impart as much force

it would change the dynamics of the game if you changed the mass of the ball...

also, f=m*a... if you reduced the mass of the ball, but did not also change the "dynamic" parts of the game (flippers/pops/kicks), it would cause the ball to move faster, which would put you back in the same spot you were before...

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

Reliability doesnt do anything for generating customers.

I should clarify, it doesn't generate new customers, but it will ensure repeat customers.

#35 11 years ago

Have an idea in my head right now for MPU controlled expanding outlanes. Would integrate into existing technology perfectly.

#36 11 years ago

Don't forget that manufacturers make things that wear so they can sell replacement parts. That is done on purpose. Profit trumps quality in their view.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinder:

One other thing that just came to mind is the fact that pinball machines are one of the few machines out there without mag stripe readers (for credit cards, gift cards, etc.). Why? With integrated networking capabilities, there is no reason why this functionality could not be added, so that instead of a player dropping in a dollar's worth of quarters, they are swiping their card for a few dollars or more. If a pop machine can support this, this should be a standard feature in newer machines as well.

Another possible feature which may be helpful is playfield obstruction detection using paired sets of criss-crossed optos which would detect issues such as broken plastics on the playfield. With this functionality, issues could be confirmed with the optional camera and a technician dispatched quickly to prevent further damage to the machine. In addition, the machine could be deactivated remotely while the tech is in route to the location. I also think much could be done with modularization of the playfield components using quick-connect assemblies, making for easier replacement and cheaper manufacturing due to reuse of standardized components. I think much can be done if we put our heads together.

credit cards readers have higher cost then coins and maybe even bill validators.

also the credit cards fees.

Now networking is nice but not all sites have wifi (open or pass worded) also may have to deal with hackers even more so if the games have CC readers on them.

Also some places with pass worded wifi have a custom login page or limited time codes.

Optional Remote Camera sounds cool but you can't count on sites having the upload bandwith for that.

On line high scores are not much for pinball as a lot can very game to game.

#38 11 years ago

Novelty.

People want novelty...something new. I like the idea of in field lcd's...kind of like pinball 2000 but within playfields. Huge potential to vary and change game dynamically. Could change between several games in one. Not sure how to keep it clean though...maybe a built in cleaning mechanism, like a dishwasher. If we can imagine it an engineer can find a way to design it.

Not sure if it would be effective, but some type of internal smoke machine could be cool, especially with targets rising out of the playfield. Pinballs track a path through the smoke.

Part of pinball's resurgence is the novelty to new customers. Mods are a great way to add novelty and keep things fresh. Lack of novelty is threatening to kill video gaming. The public is a fickle mistress, and bores and tires quickly. How to keep pinball novel and fresh to casual customers is a cool thought experiment. If I ever had the financial means, I would love to just experiment with ideas like this...who wouldn't?

#39 11 years ago

I think if we had better connected features in modern pins it may actually help generate some new business. If one thing is still popular, is our competitive nature. Hell, look at how many pointless posts we get here just for the lame pkp scores.

Imagine if you could use your smartphone and use the NFC feature to tag a machine. This enters you into a tourney that has all machines with the exact same settings and the scoreboards reflect this on a highscore board on your phone. It uses your FB, twitter, whatever feeds to notify your friends and you guys can compete for pin king points based on an algorithm. You don't need to offer money awards etc, you can just give player points and graphical trophies and people will sign up from all over just to beat each others scores.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from tl54hill:

People want novelty...something new.

And we have a new generation of players coming up that operators can't ignore.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

And we have a new generation of players coming up that operators can't ignore.

So what do you think will be the next hot gaming product?

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

So what do you think will be the next hot gaming product?

Me. Really ?

Pinball.

I saw something at the Texas Pinball Festival. Got me to thinking about 5 years ago. And the here and now.

I'm going to be moving in that direction in the next year or two. I don't have a budget, but there are going to be subtle little changes so I don't lose players now but attract more of the new ones.

They are there. Ops haven't been going after them.

#43 11 years ago

I think marketing would go a long way towards expanding the footprint of the existing base. The technology exists today to do so. One fictional example for illustrative purposes.

Newly networked games using the new paradigm are put on route by regional operators. Instead of the current model, where most launch parties are launched by word of mouth among the faithful, the manufacturer would advertise these parties using social and conventional media. The manufacturer, working in tandem with these operators, would register users using the integrated proximity reader, which would allow future contact with these users in email, as well as engaging them to become repeat customers through periodic tournaments, promotions based on high scores, etc. In addition, the users would be involved in the next launch of the next game, as they would become part of the marketing effort. The manufacturer (or a strategic partner) could handle back end details such as payment processing from the machines (for a processing fee, of course), or the operator could choose to go it alone. The manufacturer would become a strategic partner with the operator, and the operator would become a marketing partner to the manufacturer. Pinball has a long history of integrating and adjusting to new technologies, so I see no reason why this couldn't happen here as well. I agree with the IFPA that competitive pinball is the "hook" for future entrants. I think some of the ideas I've listed could help in that respect. There is a definite learning curve to pinball, and I think some of the best games out there for the purist have missed their mark for operators because they forget this fact. Once a new player reaches the point where they are good enough to sit in the sweet spot for an operator, not too long, and not too short (since if it is too short they will quit soon after from frustration), they have become a PROFITABLE customer. Competitive play in a well run campaign can provide the motivation for a new player to become a frequent player who is also a profitable one.

#44 11 years ago

I think rubber balls that are silver would be cool.

#45 11 years ago

Things break, rubbers need to be changed. That's the nature of the beast, and that's acceptable. What is lame is realizing that some bulbs or rubbers are very difficult to access. A step towards easier maintenance would be to make sure that all routine operations are simple.

#46 11 years ago

I am not a operator but in the last 3 years the painful things that I have identified that need attention and takes time is changing rubbers, playfield cleaning and resetting some mechanicals / switches and most of the time is a pain because of the access issues.

Heighway pins is going to have quick release flipper assembly including the flipper bat and I think also the pop bumper assembly so everything could be assembled and set and then installed into the playfield and plugged into a harness. Everything can be adjusted and set on the bench and just plug and play making service visits short and fast.

Agree the ramps and plastics could be designed with quick release pins so changing rubbers etc can be alot easier. The mounting pins could be a custom pin that has a hole in the top and you install a pin to release a spring and say a small ball inside moves allowing the ramp to be lifted and then just push on to fit the ramp back on and clips in.

Magnertic Proxy sensors would be cool and reduce the slots in a playfield and transfer of dirt and replacing sensors. proxy's head could sit just below the surface and once locked could operate for years and some have a small mini led in it idea for setting and checking activation.

Also as something a little different instead of solenoids have pneumatics, that would fire instead of magnetic coil system. Problem is maybe the gear is a little more pricey and you would need a small on board compressor but you can get some powerful and fast movements along with no high voltage - everything could be 12 volt so less dangerous. 2 common feed lines is installed (blue) and drain out (red) with then switching wires running to a valve bank. Or maybe the pinball has a compressor air line plug and a power plug and the compressor could be located somewhere in the arcade / shed / cellar etc. yes might be a crazy idea but sometimes looking outside the box leads to something cool.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinder:

I think marketing would go a long way towards expanding the footprint of the existing base. The technology exists today to do so. One fictional example for illustrative purposes.
    Newly networked games using the new paradigm are put on route by regional operators. Instead of the current model, where most launch parties are launched by word of mouth among the faithful, the manufacturer would advertise these parties using social and conventional media. The manufacturer, working in tandem with these operators, would register users using the integrated proximity reader, which would allow future contact with these users in email, as well as engaging them to become repeat customers through periodic tournaments, promotions based on high scores, etc. In addition, the users would be involved in the next launch of the next game, as they would become part of the marketing effort. The manufacturer (or a strategic partner) could handle back end details such as payment processing from the machines (for a processing fee, of course), or the operator could choose to go it alone. The manufacturer would become a strategic partner with the operator, and the operator would become a marketing partner to the manufacturer. Pinball has a long history of integrating and adjusting to new technologies, so I see no reason why this couldn't happen here as well. I agree with the IFPA that competitive pinball is the "hook" for future entrants. I think some of the ideas I've listed could help in that respect. There is a definite learning curve to pinball, and I think some of the best games out there for the purist have missed their mark for operators because they forget this fact. Once a new player reaches the point where they are good enough to sit in the sweet spot for an operator, not too long, and not too short (since if it is too short they will quit soon after from frustration), they have become a PROFITABLE customer. Competitive play in a well run campaign can provide the motivation for a new player to become a frequent player who is also a profitable one.

it's straying off topic, but...

unfortunately, you just added a whole bunch of cost to a machine... and those changes you make have lots of appeal to a pinhead, but zero appeal to a new/casual player...

as noted in the "on location" thread... there are two distinct groups, "pinheads" and "non-pinheads"... pinheads need to realize the things that appeal to them (deep rulesets. etc.) have negative appeal to non-pinheads, or to pinheads who prefer simpler, straight forward pinball (like me, for example)...

imo, you'd have a lot more luck attracting casual users if you made the games simpler and less "videogame" like... pinball needs to be "different" from video games, not "more like" video games... to me, a lot of "modern" machines are simply replacing a joystick/controller with flippers/ball... that's a battle that pinball will never win vs. a videogame...

want to figure out how to appeal to non-pinheads? don't think like a pinhead...

#48 11 years ago

Here's a way to bring to bring about a paradigm change to the industry and bring in new pinball fans with a focus on making the machines reliable and fun for them - kill all existing pinheads. (No, wait, wait, wait, not me, I didn't mean me, arghhhh.....)

What I mean is that so many machines seem designed with the goal of satisfying existing pinheads that they can deter the casually interested person. The industry can not ignore the existing fanbase because it is a known and reliable source of revenue. But the act of trying to stay afloat may be exactly the thing that prevents them from growing out.

There are many analogies, but this is exactly the sort of the thing that drove Blockbuster video stores out of business, even though the company was fully aware of the threat of streaming videos. In fact, they had their own streaming service under development, but had to limit its budget and then cut it altogether to divert cash towards supporting their brick and morter stores. For a company, the 5-year vision of the future is irrelevant if you can not survive the next 6 months. Pinball machines seem to have been on a perpetual 6 month lifeline since 1995.

I wonder what Wizard of Oz would look like if they didn't worry about pinheads.

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from nosro:

What I mean is that so many machines seem designed with the goal of satisfying existing pinheads that they can deter the casually interested person. The industry can not ignore the existing fanbase because it is a known and reliable source of revenue. But the act of trying to stay afloat may be exactly the thing that prevents them from growing out.

Stern tried this with "The Pin", most embarrassing pinball-related product ever made. The idea doesn't work.

#50 11 years ago

You've gotta fight steel with steel....Steel balls, Steel playfield, 1/4" thick Lexan plastics, grade 8 1/4" dia. pin posts, target faces made from 1" dia. 1/8" thick drillrod heat treated to 56 Rockwell and no switches......just have someone next to you with a pencil and paper jotting down which targets are being hit.

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-reliability-engineering and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.