10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jamespin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I can't believe it! Looks like I am joining the masses who are getting older and my eye doctor said I need 1.25 glasses for reading. For those of you who use reading glasses - Do you wear them to play pinball ? Do you have a favorite type ?

#2 10 years ago

Been wearing 1.25's for about 6 yrs now. I find them a hinderance during game play, ball goes in and out focus do to change in distance.

#3 10 years ago

I have been wearing 1.75's for the last 5yrs I just got real glass's bifocals, and man I feel old,
    But the glass's always come off when playing, same with readers

#4 10 years ago

I wear 2.00 for reading and find that 1.25 are perfect for pinball. The larger the lens the better, you don't have to track by moving your head. You might try 1.00 (The lowest magification I think) and see how they work.

#5 10 years ago

No way on the game play, I see great from that distance, a hinderance, but to read a book, oh yeah, gotta have em

Welcome to the club.

#6 10 years ago

If you want to try some different styles on the cheap, try Zenni Optical or EyeBuyDirect online. My wife and I have been getting all our family's stuff from those two...usually average about 35 bucks a pair for prescrip glasses. Yes, that's with lenses.

#7 10 years ago

I have a pair of progressive lens glasses that I wear. I find it distorts the playfield and ball location making it harder to play. I tend to play with my glasses off.

#8 10 years ago

Presbyopia - combination of presbut- (old) and opti- (eye) = "old eye" - the lens is stiffer and doesn't stretch as far, making it hard (or impossible, in my case) to focus on small objects close to the eyes. Just one of the many joys of getting older.

#9 10 years ago

I had to buy reading glasses to work on my machines. I recently switched to bi-focals (imagine how old I feel ) and the bottom/reading half of the glasses isn't always in the right place with my head at weird angles under a playfield. I play with my bi-focals on.

#10 10 years ago

It's all based on distance from the eye to the viewing surface. It requires less power to focus the object the further away from the eye you go. Also, the stronger the power the more the range of focus becomes compressed. Most people that require under +2 power to see clearly at 14 to 16 inches will have enough accommodation(near focus) to handle pinball viewing distances. Over plus two worn then they most likely will benefit with a low power +1.00 to focus more clearly the playfield and ball. This doesn't mean you will be a worse player if the ball isn't sharp when scooting around the playfield though. Also cheaper designed lenses can have distortions and reflections that can hinder especially in low light.

Also, if you require more than +2.50 for near work you most likely would benefit from wearing a distance rx even if part time. Why? Because the physics of bending light from 14 to 16 inches is only +2.50 for a perfect distance eye. If you are +0.75 farsighted then your near power has to be increased by that much to get the same near focus as someone with perfect distance vision. In this case the individual would need a total power of +3.25 for that average reading distance to see comfortably if they have lost most of their near focus occurring roughly in the late 50's to early 60's. If you are nearsighted under -1.50 take off your glasses to play. The astigmatism is an issue if moderate and not corrected which not only could cause blur but eyestrain when playing.

All otc readers are cheap but don't take into account astigmatism, power differences between eyes, distance between eyes to center the optics (pd), anti glare coatings and catching that early stage glaucoma or cataract developing! Please check your eyes on a regular basis even if you believe you don't need glasses over age fifty or if you have a family history of eye disease even earlier.

Hope that helps

Ps... another thing to improve vision while playing would be to use a good artificial tear. When we are playing for considerable amounts of time our eyes dry out. Our blink reflex time is greatly increased between blinks as we stare to follow the ball creating more evaporation of our tear film leading to burning tired watery eyes. Plus, throw alcohol into the mix and we are already dehydrating ourselves from that. A very good low viscosity tear ideal for pinball or heavy computer use for that matter would be Optive found at most drug stores.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-reading-glasses and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.