(Topic ID: 233406)

Pinball Purgatory

By cottonm4

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

With my small collection of pins, all acquired in a short amount of time, my schedule is maxed with all the work I need to do to get these pins into the playing and appearance condition that I want.

I have 4 pins up and running and playing well.

I have one that plays but has some problems.

I have one that needs a new CPU.

I have one now down for 8 months waiting for me to find time to trouble shoot the CPU.

I have one I am building from "scratch".

I have one folded up in the closet with board problems. It will be at least another year before I will have time to drag it out and look at it. It is sort of in purgatory, but I will get to it eventually.

I see other pins that I would like to have, but I know I am done. Out of room is out of room. And while my pins are all bought and paid for, the money train is still rolling along as I chase the pinball rainbow.

I see some of the huge collections some of you have. I marvel at these huge collections. How many of all these pins that you own are up and running? How many of your pins fall into the category of, " I've been wanting that pin for years. This one needs some work but I better get in while I have the chance." ? And since you bought it it has been folded up since you brought it home?

How many have you bought a pin at one swap meet only to turn around and sell it at the next swap meet?

How many pins have hit the swap meet circuit and never leave? They just move around from one buyer to the next buyer as each buyer decides the old pin needs more work than he thought? This would be true pinball purgatory. How many pins can be singing that song, "I've been everywhere, man." ?

#2 5 years ago

I'm out of room too and now have some on location (which has helped) but yet others folded up and in storage right now. I really need to start to sell some. Last game I sold was probably 4 or 5 years ago (Jolly Park) but I need to start thinning them down.

Out of all my games, all of them work 100%. Had BSD go down new years eve and ended up being that BR4 had shorted, but that's been replaced. ACDC had a couple broken wires. One for a flashlamp and another for a pop bumper light, but that's been fixed. A couple other games have a quirky score-reel or some other small switch not always working annoyance, but nothing major.

Not many games were ones "I had to have" and bought non-working. Most were games of opportunity, in that, they were for sale but I wasn't really looking for that game in particular. Probably why I ended up with quite a few repeat games.

Hey, it's a hobby and do it at your own pace. Fix what you can, when you can, and enjoy the ones that do work.

#3 5 years ago

I've owned about 80 pins so far. Almost all were bought non-working. If I see a pin I've wanted and I've got the cash I buy it and it goes into the 'queue' folded up. One pin comes out of the queue at a time and gets fixed up, shopped, and fully working then it joins the line up and another pin comes off the queue. The queue is usually 3-6 pins deep. Currently out of 48 pins 7 are folded up. 5 of those are the current queue and 2 are just ones that I brought to a show and never set up again after. Usually takes 1-3 days to get a pin up and running, although sometimes they go back in the queue while waiting for boards or hard to find parts

#4 5 years ago

I own 64 game in total and currently still got room i maxed out at my house with 48 games probably could fit one more but luckily my dad has a large room he is not using in his machine shop. So i have 14 games at his machine shop i also do not tend to sell my games i buy them with the intent of keeping but i have sold four game so far. Most of the time we have 5 games broke sometimes it's an easy fix and some take longer right now we got six games that are out of order.

#5 5 years ago

I've had 99. I usually fix up 4 or 5 per year. I will keep games for different reasons and for different periods of time. Sometimes I keep the game because of it's history. Sometimes I keep it because it's a great game. Sometimes because it difficult. Once I play it a couple thousand times, it's has little chance of staying. But, some just hold on and beg no to be sold. Those are the ones that I still own.

I just put together a Strikes and Spares and took it to my dads. He's retired and it will get played more there than if I kept it. I have lent out a few games to league members. Next up in my project cue is Space Shuttle #2 and once that's sold, I might buy another project.

My rule is that if it's not set up and being played, then it may not belong here. Luckily (or possibly unluckily) I like games from the 70's and 80's so the hobby has been great because back in the day, no one seemed to give a crap about -35 or system 11 games and they were all fairly cheap and no one really wanted to bulletproof them or even knew how to repair them. Times are changing.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-purgatory- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.