1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jeffc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F40D4D91-C3A1-4B5A-A375-458AA8F4328D (resized).jpeg
    CE5B47BF-8A74-478A-87AF-C428A8D462DA (resized).jpeg
    1E9DAFCA-21AE-4CF9-A468-74AAA8224A62 (resized).jpeg
    8E1ACE09-9FC2-4F8C-BBD6-362B081670F0 (resized).jpeg
    BF08BA92-3D20-4293-8DF8-CDD586EADD3D (resized).jpeg
    AD2DD0A7-3CBB-4A81-9D6D-5EB886E286FA (resized).jpeg
    68D0DA8E-827B-4CD3-95EE-FDD99E819C3F (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    9354424A-BBFC-46AE-88D8-5B12CF001D51 (resized).jpeg
    89E18EB3-B15E-4733-8C2A-558C31A49BAA (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

It’s a pretty gloomy day here on the east coast. I also have the rare opportunity to have zero plans, and everyone’s out of the house.

Even though I’m really thorough with my games and keep up on them, inevitably little things break here and there. I stick all these little odds and ends in a “Pinball Punch List” notebook. Anyone can write in it—though 99% of the time it’s just me because no one else really notices when little things break. I keep it out during parties or other get togethers.

Anyhow, for no particular reason, I thought I’d share todays little repairs.

First up: White Water. A broken river target and some burnt out bulbs. Gave everything a little wipe down, and it’s good to go!

89E18EB3-B15E-4733-8C2A-558C31A49BAA (resized).jpeg89E18EB3-B15E-4733-8C2A-558C31A49BAA (resized).jpeg

Next was Robo-War. Funny story about this game. It was a lucky Craigslist find 3 years ago. It’s been the most popular game in my game room since then. It’s so popular, I genuinely cannot keep up with maintenance on it sometimes. So, today, it just got a quick cleaning and re-waxing.

9354424A-BBFC-46AE-88D8-5B12CF001D51 (resized).jpeg9354424A-BBFC-46AE-88D8-5B12CF001D51 (resized).jpeg

Lastly was Twilight Zone. This was one of those punch list items that literally no one noticed but me. The ball eject was jamming and sticking. It was really only an issue during multiball restarts and during LITZ. It would jam up and wouldn’t serve balls fast enough. A tiny dab of Teflon lube in the pivot (you know, where the manual always says needs occasional lubrication), and it’s been a smooth operator since.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Our family recently lost our elderly cat. It’s fine, he lived a long, pampered, luxurious life (he was 22 years old and got all the treats he wanted!). His name was Peewee (because of his grey tuxedo and big white paws!). In his final days, he wasn’t really using the litter box all that much, so a deep carpet cleaning in the basement finished off todays punch list.

BF08BA92-3D20-4293-8DF8-CDD586EADD3D (resized).jpegBF08BA92-3D20-4293-8DF8-CDD586EADD3D (resized).jpeg

Currently sitting on the basement steps just watching all the attract modes do their thing. Sometimes I just like to sit back and look at the collection.

68D0DA8E-827B-4CD3-95EE-FDD99E819C3F (resized).jpeg68D0DA8E-827B-4CD3-95EE-FDD99E819C3F (resized).jpeg

AD2DD0A7-3CBB-4A81-9D6D-5EB886E286FA (resized).jpegAD2DD0A7-3CBB-4A81-9D6D-5EB886E286FA (resized).jpeg

Anyway. Thanks for reading! Hope everyone is able to get to their own little pinball projects this weekend.

#2 1 year ago

Great lineup and great Kitty!
    Glad you found some time to tidy up some things.

#3 1 year ago

Robo War is a favorite of mine as well. Awesome 80s sound and music. Plus, you don't need a doctorate to figure out what the objectives are!

#4 1 year ago

This is why I like pinside so much...posts like yours.
    Thankyou! I love your gamesroom and collection....

#5 1 year ago

Nice work on everything and great pics of your collection.
    I have something similar, on a whiteboard hanging up I have a pinball work list. Anytime I notice something a little off like a burned out bulb or a switch not registering etc I write it on the whiteboard and the date. When I just has 1-3 games I would fix every little thing everytime it needed it. I know 6 isnt a lot to most people but it’s enough that if it isn’t game breaking I wait till my list starts to fill up and then when I get some time I go through it one by one and clear the board.

#6 1 year ago

Thanks for the kind words, folks!

More bad weather here. So bad, they closed my office early and made us all go home. Ever since that tornado ripped through a town nearby me last summer, everyone has been high alert.

Anyway, I was able to squeeze out a little more of my punch list items:

When I rebuilt the flippers on BSD last, I did a pretty half assed job. I admit… I was rushing, but I was really anxious to play! In doing so, I created 2 issues.

Issue 1 was that I broke a bolt on the coil stop. I didn’t realize this until a couple hundred games later, and by that time the plunger and coil stop had worn very unevenly, causing the flipper to stick upwards occasionally. It doesn’t look like much, but trust me, it was wreaking havoc:

8E1ACE09-9FC2-4F8C-BBD6-362B081670F0 (resized).jpeg8E1ACE09-9FC2-4F8C-BBD6-362B081670F0 (resized).jpeg

Issue 2 was me just failing to align the flippers properly. The left side always had a longer stroke than the right, so alley passes and post transfers were nearly impossible. Two skills absolutely CRITICAL in the success of stacking multiballs. After a replacing the coil stop and flipper link, everything is perfectly balanced, as it should be:

1E9DAFCA-21AE-4CF9-A468-74AAA8224A62 (resized).jpeg1E9DAFCA-21AE-4CF9-A468-74AAA8224A62 (resized).jpeg

Lastly, the green mist multiball light wasn’t working. This is my only game that has an LED conversion, so my first thought was a bad socket. Nope. Bad LED. Stuck a new one in, and the eerie mist glow is back in action:

F40D4D91-C3A1-4B5A-A375-458AA8F4328D (resized).jpegF40D4D91-C3A1-4B5A-A375-458AA8F4328D (resized).jpeg
    CE5B47BF-8A74-478A-87AF-C428A8D462DA (resized).jpegCE5B47BF-8A74-478A-87AF-C428A8D462DA (resized).jpeg

Of all the games in my collection, I think BSD and Robo-War get the most play (from me, anyway). These days, I just don’t have time to slog away at a super long and deep game of LotR or even AFM. I definitely prefer fast, brutal, and quick games. Ones where I don’t have to clear my schedule if I want to get a good high score. I think that’s why my collection leans towards System 11 and early WPC titles the most. It’s the perfect sweet spot of games that have good strategy, but also don’t get boring too quickly.

#7 1 year ago

Here I thought this was a list of people on Pinside we'd like to punch.

Serious question - why do you call it a "punch list" -

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Serious question - why do you call it a "punch list" -

I work in civil engineering, and a "punch list" is a document we write up near the end of a construction project listing work that does not conform to contract specifications that the general contractor must complete prior to final payment.

Basically, if they break something they're not supposed to, it goes on the punch list. If they forget to do something, it goes on the punch list. It's just a document with all the "loose ends" that need to be tied before we can remit final payment to them.

I like the way "Pinball Punch List" sounds, and it's basically the same thing: All the little loose ends that I need to do on a game before I stick a fork in it and call it done.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I work in civil engineering, and a "punch list" is a document we write up near the end of a construction project listing work that does not conform to contract specifications that the general contractor must complete prior to final payment.
    Basically, if they break something they're not supposed to, it goes on the punch list. If they forget to do something, it goes on the punch list. It's just a document with all the "loose ends" that need to be tied before we can remit final payment to them.
    I like the way "Pinball Punch List" sounds, and it's basically the same thing: All the little loose ends that I need to do on a game before I stick a fork in it and call it done.

Definitely sounds better than a "Pinball Honey Do" list

#10 1 year ago

from Wikipedia:

“Under one hypothesis, the phrase takes its name from the historical process of punching a hole in the margin of the document, next to one of the items on the list. This indicated that the work was completed for that particular construction task. Two copies of the list were punched at the same time, in order to provide an identical record for the architect and contractor.”

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-punch-list?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.