Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by policano
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Purchased a full high energy kit for my monster bash including the back box speakers.

Quality looked nice and we're dispatched within reasonable time but the back box speakers are awful - muffled tinny sound. I took them out and replaced with stock which are much superior with their sub woofer. The sub does work nice though.

I emailed pinball pro a number of times and I'm yet to get a reply about this. Even when I had a problem with the sub they never replied offering help (resolved as contact form not working on site - clck the link instead to contact them)

Anyway, forget the back box upgrade and just replace the sub and l pad to the back box speakers.

Hope that helps others thinking about speaker upgrades.

#2 10 years ago
    Quoted from sillyoldelf:

Quality looked okay and we're dispatched within reasonable time but the back box speakers are awful. I took them out and replaced with stock which are much superior with their sub woofer. The sub does work nice though.

I had the exact problem with them when I got them for my STTNG a couple of years ago. Still have the sub in (sounds great BTW) but the backbox speakers are sitting on a shelf collecting dust, they just sounded like I had my hands over my ears. Tried every possible adjustment before I gave up.

#3 10 years ago

Yeah I have since read quite a few people taking them out.

Seems strange because you would think they would test to make sure they sound good. Wolf man speech became really tinny and soft. The music became kind distorted too - like it was picking out the highs too much. Cymbals sounded scratchy and brides voice distorted on the highs. Even went to extreme of putting in a new updated sound board.

Tried every possible combination with the l pad. In the end took them out, wired stock back in with l par and sounds great. Well better than great with new sound board.

Have a set of flipper fidelity in my tspp and they sound great. Be interested to hear from anybody who has a full kit in a stern machine and likes their pinball pros. Would rule out if it is just a Williams thing.

#4 10 years ago

I am not sure where you have read of issues, I did see the old post you resurrected which has since been resolved. Clearly something is wrong here, I have not received an email or call from you. I am happy to help anytime. I of course want you to be happy. All I can figure is you have an old set, and are emailing the previous owner.

I always appreciate the opportunity to remedy an issue before it comes here, I will also say there is a significant difference in today's pinball pro system over the old ones, We continue to make our products better based on customer feedback. The swtr-2 kits have better response to high frequency in our current kits.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from sillyoldelf:

I emailed pinball pro a number of times and I'm yet to get a reply about this. Even when I had a problem with the sub they never replied offering help. Very poor which surprised me as they generally get good reviews.

Glad to see Greg chiming in here. Jumping in to help about an hour after your post is the Greg I know. This is definitely what I would expect from him. There must be some issue with the email address you are using. Click this link to go straight to his contact page on the pinballpro.com website. http://pinballpro.net/info/contact/ There is a phone number and email link that will surely get you to Greg.

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I had the exact problem with them when I got them for my STTNG a couple of years ago. Still have the sub in (sounds great BTW) but the backbox speakers are sitting on a shelf collecting dust, they just sounded like I had my hands over my ears. Tried every possible adjustment before I gave up.

I notice this is a kit that is a couple years old. I know first hand that Greg has made and continues to make improvements to all his kits. He is quite the perfectionist. High Frequency Response is definitely better than it was in older kits before Greg took over PinballPro.com

#6 10 years ago

I purchased just a month or so ago. I have emailed through your website but maybe it is not working.

I would ring but I'm from uk and there is no email address or mailing address on your website which i find odd for a business. So only way for me to contact was through your contact form.

The sub stopped working but I got a local guy to repair as I couldn't reach you.

I don't believe the issue with back box speakers has been resolved as there is a post above with same symptoms. I also read mikeD - a well known pinball restorer had similar problems with his set.

So while the sub does work well now and sounds good, it's disappointing the back box speakers just don't work as well as stock - in fact so bad I had to remove. Not to mention how much this whole thing has cost what with repairs.

Oh we'll, I guess it's a learning curve.

#7 10 years ago

I have put Pinball Pro speakers in Williams and Sterns and they rock. No issues at all.

#8 10 years ago

My mistake.

Didn't see the email link - doh.
    Probably the contact form is broken then which explains why I never received a response.

#9 10 years ago

This stinks because I know Greg would not have wanted it to go this way. Now that you have the correct email address, I am sure he will be in touch with you. Tell him about the problem with the sub too and what was done to repair it. I'll see him tonight and will make sure he knows that there may be a problem with the contact form on the website.

Cheers!

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

I notice this is a kit that is a couple years old. I know first hand that Greg has made and continues to make improvements to all his kits. He is quite the perfectionist. High Frequency Response is definitely better than it was in older kits before Greg took over PinballPro.com

Yah mine was definitely from the old regime. I may have just got a bad set as others have been happy with theirs. I'm happy with the sound from the PP sub and stock BB speakers so it’s really been no big deal anyway.

#11 10 years ago

Thanks. It would be handy if he put an image of his email address on site in case worried about spam for the idiots that miss it is a clickable link - or remove the contact form all together.

#12 10 years ago

I have both old and new regime PP speakers, Stern and WPC. I can say that they are awesome and Greg has great service, I have gotten to know him and he is a stand up guy. I have FF set in a game too, and I prefer the PP, they are crisp and very clean sounding. I wonder if you had speaker polarity mixed up which is easy to do and could make them sound wonky. I know Greg has his speakers built for pins, not car audio, but I dont know for the old regime speakers...

#13 10 years ago

No wiring problems as stock is much better. I just don't think they suit the machine.
    I have read others taking theirs out for stock - just search on forums so this is not a one off problem.

The sub is nice though now its working. Anyway this is a chance for pinball pro to step in and sort it out.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from dlbuller:

Got a pinball pro speaker kit. Adds a lot of goodness on the low end but I can't seem to get the crypt keepers voice to be not muffled. Adjusted bg. Adjusted volume pot and played with level adjuster between sub and speakers on pinball pro control. Do I just suck?

Another user with same issues. So this is not a one off problem

#15 10 years ago

I've only used the Pinball Pro backbox speakers on Sega pins, and the replacements are miles better than what came with the machines stock.

I've always found the B/W back box speakers to be more than good enough, and have never thought of changing them out. Seems to me any change would be kind of linear by default.

Greg has been a great help to me in the past, and the PP subwoofers are Awesome!

#16 10 years ago

I also have removed my backbox speakers from my Transformers. They were nice enough to offer a number and willing to help adjust but I spent hours and hours trying when the factory speakers just sound better but thats just my opinion. I do think that the sub sounds great!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-pro-speakers-disappointing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.