Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by mdsjdtx76
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago

Make friends with other pinheads. I think someone into the hobby for the fun of it will actually sell a machine at a decent price to a friend rather than an inflated price to someone they don't know. I just got a F-14 from a fellow pinsider for 900 bucks, this is in California mind you where we do get the shaft like Glistoverflow said.

#52 11 years ago

I feel like pin prices have stayed roughly the same over the last 2-3-4 months, relative to the previous 12 months of extreme inflation.

I'm not trying to predict the future by any means ... just an observation. Also, I'm sure the feeling could simply be a result of local ads/sales, the games that I pay attention to, and a million other things ...

#53 11 years ago

Historically, prices go up. We have thousands of different machines overall to look at and that seems to be the "general" trend. Individual machines sometimes have a different story. Personally I think, for example, AFM experienced a dramatic and partly artificial price spike due to a pump scheme perpetuated on the forums and really took off. Kind of like a hot stock. Other machines generally go up with the head scratching low deals sprinkled in here and there. I don't think there are any artificial controls for this trend and probably shouldn't be.

#54 11 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

90's dmd's will will never rise in number but it's possible demand could still drop due to new machines being made.

I think it's the opposite and those prices will keep increasing as long as Stern/JJP keep increasing the price of machines. The reason 1990's dmd's are going up is because people realize you don't need to spend 7-8K for a NIB Stern to have fun and are tired of the price increases. They started to realize there are lots of good games in the $1000-2000 range (now that range is more like $1500-$3000). Games like BSD, Shadow, FT, WW, etc were always good games and it's not like a code update just made them popular. I think people are getting tired of dropping all that money on NIB's games and seek out the more affordable games that are just as good if not better then a lot of Sterns.

#55 11 years ago

Nobody has mentioned flippers yet, but they definitely have impacted pricing. It's obviously worse in some areas than others, but where I live it's tough to beat the flippers to a good deal. Even when you do, you still have to worry that the flipper will call the person up and offer them more, ruining your deal.

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Nobody has mentioned flippers yet, but they definitely have impacted pricing. It's obviously worse in some areas than others, but where I live it's tough to beat the flippers to a good deal. Even when you do, you still have to worry that the flipper will call the person up and offer them more, ruining your deal.

+1

a couple guys monitor the socal area very closely. Lots of competition for good deals/games

#57 11 years ago

Here is the answer in a nut shell - lots of new people coming into the hobby. Very few new machines being made & prices keep going up on new machines. No more containers of machines coming back to the US like 10 years ago. Very few, if any, warehouses of old operators full of pinball machines coming into the market these days because operators have not had many pinball machines for the past 15 years.

So bottom line - supply down demand up - guess where prices are headed!

#58 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

YES. We've got a lot of "professional" flippers and retailers in my area who make being a collector extremely difficult. Enough so at times, that you just wanna say F it and start collecting rocks.

#59 11 years ago

At least with rocks, you can throw them at the "professional flippers". It's a little harder with pinball machines.

Quoted from Fatsquatch:

YES. We've got a lot of "professional" flippers and retailers in my area who make being a collector extremely difficult. Enough so at times, that you just wanna say F it and start collecting rocks.

#60 11 years ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:

It's not just local flippers that make things hard. The two main notorious flippers in SoCal bid on EVERY GAME on Ebay...all over the country. If they feel they can get it and ship it and make $100, they'll bid it up that high. So - they (and probably others who do the same) have basically made it impossible to score a good deal on Ebay for years now.

#61 11 years ago

If you want something get it as life is just too short. With that being said I searched for 6 months for my first game TFTC and finally decided on what was a good deal out of state and trusted the buyers

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

It's not just local flippers that make things hard. The two main notorious flippers in SoCal bid on EVERY GAME on Ebay...all over the country.

Yep. One of the unfortunate side effects of CL and eBay is that it has made it a lot easier for flippers to poach pins from other markets.

#63 11 years ago

I am very surprised that no one has mentioned that one invention is causing the inflation of pinball. And that is LEDS. Face it, a pin lit up with those glowing wonderful LEDs looks bad ass. Play fields are more and more like art now. People started putting LEDs in pins around 2008 and the upward price curve started around then.

#64 11 years ago
    Quoted from Capper96:

Face it, a pin lit up with those glowing wonderful LEDs looks bad ass. Play fields are more and more like art now.

Not to all of us.

And I've yet to see any modern LED-laden game look even remotely as artistically impressive as many of the older incandescent-designed machines like Cirqus Voltaire, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Theatre of Magic, etc., etc., etc.

#65 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

If you want something get it as life is just too short.

Exactly...if you can afford a pin you want, just go for it. As long as you don't super-duper overpay - if you need to get out of it and get your money back, you'll probably break even or even make a few bucks after having a ton of fun w/ the machine.

Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Not to all of us.
    And I've yet to see any modern LED-laden game look even remotely as artistically impressive as many of the older incandescent-designed machines like Cirqus Voltaire, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Theatre of Magic, etc., etc., etc.

Dude, you know me - I was super anti-LED for the longest time but recently "saw the (super f*cking bright) light" and I'm LED'ing my games. I know everyone says "you have to see it done right" and that means something different to everyone - but I swear...I'm DOING IT RIGHT! LOL ...you should see my Cirqus, man! It's unreal. Things like the rollover buttons, which were barely lit w/ incandescent...are really vibrant! So are all the other inserts.

#66 11 years ago

Exact same boat here.

I just LEDed a couple of my Williams games...mostly for the heat factor and less maintainence factor. While I still can't get into all the goofy multi-colored GI stuff and add-on flashers everywhere...I do like the crisper look of the LEDs in the inserts. It certainly is nice not having to change bulbs every month or so

Quoted from Rarehero:

Exactly...if you can afford a pin you want, just go for it. As long as you don't super-duper overpay - if you need to get out of it and get your money back, you'll probably break even or even make a few bucks after having a ton of fun w/ the machine.

Dude, you know me - I was super anti-LED for the longest time but recently "saw the (super f*cking bright) light" and I'm LED'ing my games. I know everyone says "you have to see it done right" and that means something different to everyone - but I swear...I'm DOING IT RIGHT! LOL ...you should see my Cirqus, man! It's unreal. Things like the rollover buttons, which were barely lit w/ incandescent...are really vibrant! So are all the other inserts.

#67 11 years ago
    Quoted from Capper96:

I am very surprised that no one has mentioned that one invention is causing the inflation of pinball. And that is LEDS. Face it, a pin lit up with those glowing wonderful LEDs looks bad ass. Play fields are more and more like art now. People started putting LEDs in pins around 2008 and the upward price curve started around then.

I doubt this has much effect at all.

#68 11 years ago
    Quoted from Capper96:

Quoted from Methos:

I doubt this has much effect at all.

Because of the crotchety purists like me who would take LEDs out and send them back to the previous owner!

Incandescents FTW.

-BB

#69 11 years ago

How much will the market bend ?
    if a new game is selling to the public at $7000- $8000 during a recession
    could the $10,000 new game be too far behind perhaps only in 2-3 years?

#70 11 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

How much will the market bend ?
    if a new game is selling to the public at $7000- $8000 during a recession
    could the $10,000 new game be too far behind perhaps only in 2-3 years?

You should try buying one in the UK. Avengers HULK LE will easily be over $10K here.

#71 11 years ago
    Quoted from Russo121:

You should try buying one in the UK. Avengers HULK LE will easily be over $10K here.

Blimey!

#72 11 years ago
    Quoted from Russo121:

That's crazy.

#73 11 years ago

I argue that some people just aren't biting the high prices. In california where prices are already high we have seen these machines stick around for months and no one is buying. all of these have been relisted multiple times, some for months, some for over a year. The seller will have to make a choice eventually. So its something to think about:

T2,919$
    Dr.Dude,695$ and 1,400$
    RFM: 3,200$
    SWE1: 2,400$
    Golden Eye: 1,750$
    T3: 2,550$
    BK,500$
    Duotron: 890$
    rocky & Bullwinkle: 3,000$

#74 11 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

rocky & Bullwinkle: 3,000$

Dumest thing I've ever read in my life.

#75 11 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Leveling off prices isn't bad, but heavy depreciation would be(IMHO). I would go as far as to say, that the prices trending upward, is one of the major factors in reviving the hobby.

I'm with you honch. It's a good thing that items we buy go up in value. If you sell a machine for double what you paid (good thing) and then decide you miss it and want to buy it again, then that's called a "stupid mistake". Dosen't really have anything to do with the value of said item.

I find it exciting to have a hobby that may actually pay for it's self if I ever want to sell out. That's rare. Just my humble opinion.

Mike

#76 11 years ago
    Quoted from GListOverflow:

Sorry west coast pinheads but you guys seem to get the shaft on pricing currently

West coast (especially CA) always gets screwed! Everything costs more here. But it's still a great state. Ocean, mountains, deserts, LA, Bay Area. I live in central CA and I can hit any of those places within 2.5 hours. Where else can you do that? Sorry, slipped of track there. What were we talking about?

#77 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

My sarcasm meter just went off the charts.

#78 11 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

My sarcasm meter just went off the charts.

#79 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

One of the ones that has been listed for about a year.

#80 11 years ago

I love this hobby and had to sell of other hobby stuff just to get in to it .

#81 11 years ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:

YES. We've got a lot of "professional" flippers and retailers in my area who make being a collector extremely difficult.

That's happening everywhere.

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

That's happening everywhere.

Saw one pin recently picked up for about $900 that was advertised two or three days later by the flipper for $2,995. Little wonder prices are skyrocketing.

#83 11 years ago
    Quoted from examiner:

Let's say I have my sights set on buying a TZ next year. Yes, I would rather pay $3k for it instead of $5k. Makes perfect sense to me.
    As long as you are active in the hobby, continued rising prices are meaningless and are obviously a barrier to acquiring more machines (at least for most of us). If you sell a machine at today's inflated prices to "cash out" your appreciation - guess what - you are going to spend all of that appreciation when you have to pay the inflated price to buy your next machine.
    Back to my TZ example, let's say you bought one 5 years ago for $2.5k. Today it's "worth" $5k. You sell it and say "hey, I made $2.5k on that machine ". Then in 3 months you decide you really miss the machine and you want to buy another one so you do. End result? You now have a cash investment of $5k in your TZ instead of $2.5. I have a hard time seeing how that's a good thing.
    Continued price increases will only benefit you if you intend to liquidate your collection and never buy another pin.

simple economics tells you that you are still only invested in this item at $2500 as the $5000 return was gleamed off a $2500 investment

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-price-trends/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.