(Topic ID: 325965)

Pinball Price Hikes - How much do you care?

By zaphX

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by screaminr
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How have the NIB pinball price increases affected your participation in the hobby?”

• I never bought NIB anyway 32 votes
      18%
    • I’m looking for a new hobby 18 votes
      10%
    • I’ll wait for discounts on HUO machines on the secondary market 87 votes
      50%
    • It’s annoying, but I’ll swallow the price hikes and keep buying 27 votes
      15%
    • I don’t mind the price hikes at all 11 votes
      6%

(175 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20221214-120313 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20220227-213119_Chrome (resized).jpg
    There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

And also don't see why I would need two.

A sentence later:

Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Maybe find a cheaper classic for a second machine

Plan on feeling the urge!

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

A sentence later:

Plan on feeling the urge!

don't be an enabler, dude.

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

... But I plan to be a one machine at a time guy.

Bookmarked

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Just sold my only game 2 hours ago and I’m out on the hobby. Too much greed and the people I meet are mask wearing types. Plus I’m experiencing low T and they’re too heavy now.

So sorry to see you go. You were such a ray of sunshine...

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

If I was rich like some of the collectors here, I'm not sure a few hundred or even a few thousand price hike would mean much though.

It likely does mean a lot to most of these people, because watching "a few hundred or few thousand" here and there is one of the tools used to make you (and keep you) rich to begin with.

#57 1 year ago

but the few hundred happens every release. Becomes 1000's in a year or 2.

#58 1 year ago

So to analyze the results...

We can ignore the people who never bought NIB anyway. They weren't buyers before and still aren't, so they don't count in the calculation.

We have 89 people who are either buying secondary now, or out entirely.
    32 people are going to keep on buying.

This is a very small sample size, but it works out to 26.4% plan to keep buying NIB.

Is pinball revenue headed for a 73.6% drop?

Doubtful; to Zach's point nobody -likes- paying more for pins...but I bet some of the people who are currently out (myself included) bend like a paper plate when an amazing game drops, a dream theme is realized, etc.

Case in point, would you have paid TS4 prices for GNR? I would have.

Interesting times ahead, but one thing is clear - to sustain these prices the manufacturers will need to bring their A game.

#59 1 year ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

So to analyze the results...
    26.4% plan to keep buying NIB.
    Is pinball revenue headed for a 73.6% drop?
    Doubtful; to Zach's point nobody -likes- paying more for pins...but I bet some of the people who are currently out (myself included) bend like a paper plate when an amazing game drops, a dream theme is realized, etc.

Screenshot_20220227-213119_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220227-213119_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #60 1 year ago

nope, there is a point where you say, screw it. I'm not buying a NIB again. There are plenty of games out there that are great. No need for a new release of anything. Has to have great layout, great rules to even be considered. Throw a great art package on top of that, and you have possible winner of legends. but throw a price tag on it, that could buy 2 stern pros..... No thanks.

#61 1 year ago

I can't do NIB anymore knowing I will take a bath on it. I was essentially paid to play my Rick and Morty and Godzilla Premium while I had them. I'm buying Weird Al with the intention of keeping it forever but know if I let it go I'll take a bath. If Harry Potter drops I'll be tempted, but knowing I can wait 6 months and get it at a discount second hand again I'll hesitate on any NIB. Hobby is great when you can play games and get your money back out. Taking a bath on my Flash Gordon (currently for sale) and my Nine Ball (traded) makes it difficult to think of these as temporary. I'm having great success using my Deadpool for temporary trades, and will likely do the same with my Bad Cats down the line.

#62 1 year ago

Never owned NIB. Most I ever paid for a used machine was $3500 in the early 2000's and I felt really guilty. When they went up to about $4500, I said no more, ever again.

AFM $3500, MB $2400, TZ $2700, T2 $1200 and IJ $3000. MM $5700, but quickly sold it.

#63 1 year ago

Dup sorry

#64 1 year ago

I have bought 10 NIB and 4 used games over the last 10 years. I don’t love the new price level but my real problem is the quality of the games themselves. Give me a reason to talk myself into your game by packing the playfield. Give me upper playfields, magnets, lower playfields, and fun mechs/toys. Show me you are as excited about your newly released game/theme as I am. I hate when a great theme is ruined by the game being average. I will happily give you my money if you give me a reason to pull the trigger. Pinball is sadly becoming more about license and code than playfield. I am one of the stupid people who thinks you can give quality to your customers and still make money.

2 weeks later
    #65 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

I just bought my first and only NIB (GZ pro, of course). With used prices what they are it just made sense. I doubt I will every buy NIB again. It took a lot for me to let myself buy a $7000 toy. No way I could ever justify another. And also don't see why I would need two. If I ever get bored, I'll trade it. Maybe trade up to a premium something. But I plan to be a one machine at a time guy. Maybe find a cheaper classic for a second machine if I ever feel the urge. If I was rich like some of the collectors here, I'm not sure a few hundred or even a few thousand price hike would mean much though. Like everything, the pinball market is reflecting the deepening economic inequalities of our society. Now that routing is more or less dead and commercial pinball is just a barcade thing, most of the new market is for wealthy collectors. Stern is Mercedes now, not Ford.

I've said the same thing for the last year since I got my first pin..a nib GNR... I'm a 1 pin guy.
    Now ironically I read your post today as I'm sitting here watching out the window eating those words for lunch and waiting on FedEx to pull in the driveway and drop my new $6699 Rush pro.

Edit: oh wait . Here they are now!

Screenshot_20221214-120313 (resized).pngScreenshot_20221214-120313 (resized).png
    #66 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vespula:I've said the same thing for the last year since I got my first pin..a nib GNR... I'm a 1 pin guy.
    Now ironically I read your post today as I'm sitting here watching out the window eating those words for lunch and waiting on FedEx to pull in the driveway and drop my new $6699 Rush pro.
    Edit: oh wait . Here they are now![quoted image]

ID like to hear your thoughts on how the two games compare .
    Gameplay , coding , animations , build quality , sound , extras , ect .

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-price-hikes-how-much-do-you-care/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.