(Topic ID: 4443)

Pinball price BUBBLE ... think it can't happen? THINK AGAIN!

By Hyperion

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,050 posts
  • 289 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 52 days ago by JWilberdog
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you think there is a Pinball Price Bubble?”

• Yes 265 votes
      45%
    • No 202 votes
      35%
    • Maybe 83 votes
      14%
    • I don't care long as I make more $$$ 33 votes
      6%

(583 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

720 (resized).jpg
    Beef-Stroganoff-Recipe-9 (resized).jpg
    medicine.gif
    IMG_0285 (resized).png
    C0F20021-920D-43FF-B712-0B224763EA5A.gif
    df8bcdcc-0fc4-41da-a236-dc499c05614c_text.gif
    revenge-of-the-nerds-fire-3.gif
    revenge-of-the-nerds-fire-4.gif
    06AF2B45-791D-4627-84CE-2EFEE9688266 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1997 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2006 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1811 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20230719_191134_Brave (resized).jpg
    6350EBD5-B1CD-4607-82FB-D27100639F3E.gif
    IMG_8068 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8067 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckymoey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#164 2 years ago
    Quoted from Norcalpin:

Pinball is a rich man's hobby! Those guys' bubbles don't burst as easy lol.

“Rich” is relative but I meet a lot of people in the hobby buying high priced games and many are far from what most would consider rich. More and more 30’s and 40’s with “middle-class” jobs.

I don’t think pinball is in a bubble but wouldn’t be surprised with a temporary drop for many titles from the current exuberance if the economy turns south and some start to question if pinball is a sure thing. Especially mediocre titles caught in the current run up.

The larger picture is all about the rate of new hobbyists vs. relatively fixed supply. If the number continues to grow exponentially, prices will keep going up until there is a fundamental change in supply.

3 weeks later
    #182 2 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

But for the most part, pins (and arcades) have proven to be a better investment than stock over the last 2-5 years.

I think a dollar invested in the S&P 5-years ago would be worth about $2.50 today with dividends reinvested. So pinball has done well but not that well - unless you add in all the fun, then it wins by a mile.

#215 2 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I’d say we have another 1-3 years before this pinball train slows down.

If demand is projected to continue to grow then Stern should add another production line(s). Constructing a new line would be relatively cheap/easy, but increasingly labor and part supply are obviously constraints right now.

I was in manufacturing and in a situation like this the pressure would be intense to quickly bring on new production. More important than short-term profits, it creates an opening for competition. Stern’s competition is generally inept at getting product out the door but I still wouldn’t give them a sustained opening.

#218 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

What will that do? They cannot even run at their current 115 game capacity because of supply chain issues.

I said that supply issues were the key constraint, but if demand is projected to continue to grow, i.e. not a bubble, then adding production may be the right move. I don’t know the degree of supply constraints, especially capital intense manufacturing like chips, but if the mid-longer term outlook is strong then you should be aggressively working constraints, which a well run business like Stern is obviously doing.

My point is that if new consumers are a major growth driver, vs. short term easy money, then added Stern production is a major or the key factor to the pinball pricing outlook.

#275 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Scarce is where it’s at

And theme. Any theme that has broad appeal to more casual players, especially family friendly, also does well. Games like Munsters and TH that are not highly regarded by more serious players are doing amazingly well with so many new people entering the market. I don’t believe the bubble will burst, but wouldn’t be surprised if titles like these fell back into line, relatively, with their pre-pandemic place.

1 year later
    #566 9 months ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Why are Guns and Roses so cheap? !

Mainly they made a ton and the insane shoot everything, multiball code - but another crap, pooling, chipping JJP playfield doesn’t help either.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckymoey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-price-bubble-think-it-cant-happen-think-again?tu=luckymoey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.