(Topic ID: 4443)

Pinball price BUBBLE ... think it can't happen? THINK AGAIN!

By Hyperion

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you think there is a Pinball Price Bubble?”

• Yes 197 votes
      42%
    • No 176 votes
      38%
    • Maybe 70 votes
      15%
    • I don't care long as I make more $$$ 24 votes
      5%

(467 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0335 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0065 (resized).jpg
    B61D9147-E152-4841-B046-E0DF2AE5B459 (resized).jpeg
    4AA750D1-6313-483E-AEA6-98C35D0FB450 (resized).png
    kidz (resized).jpg
    pepfarm_remembers (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9EA58E87-9947-425E-8CB3-3D8C818CBBC3 (resized).jpeg
    8C2FD900-0DA4-4E6B-900D-BC1512A527FD (resized).jpeg
    F9F7836D-C53D-4A90-B77A-D59B7BD80AD3 (resized).jpeg
    7055867.jpg
    Blame_Canada.jpg
    williams_1049.JPG

There are 440 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.
    #401 6 months ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Are you seeing the slight drop in A titles up there or the second tier games only?
    Thanks

2nd tier only it seems right now

Quoted from MtnFrost:

I think terms might be good here. For me, A titles are things like Centaur, Fathom, Whitewater, Scared Stiff. What are A titles?

A titles are subjective obviously. In my case I meant mostly 90's/00's A-list WPC (TZ, MM, AFM, WH2O, etc) with a few Sterns (LOTR, TSPP). Even used Spike 2 pros are moving much slower now and no longer above MSRP.

We're seeing some subtle price drops in the older generations of games. However our prices were somewhat higher than US prices even after exchange rates factored in. We are seeing our prices come closer to US prices. Our numbers are a bit skewed because we pay around 15% tax on top of MSRP in most provinces - some more some less. Sellers try to recoup the tax paid as well.

#402 6 months ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

I think terms might be good here. For me, A titles are things like Centaur, Fathom, Whitewater, Scared Stiff. What are A titles?

I kinda use a price index for "A" tier games, I could be right or wrong on that, like anything game fetching NIB prices (TAF, AFM, MM, TZ) today or higher. White Water is the one game moving into a tier "A" game in my mind.

#403 6 months ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I kinda use a price index for "A" tier games, I could be right or wrong on that, like anything game fetching NIB prices (TAF, AFM, MM, TZ) today or higher. White Water is the one game moving into a tier "A" game in my mind.

That sounds about right, but it's a subjective measure for certain. For instance, in my mind an "A" game is one that has proven itself to be very popular, long term. So most of the modern, recent pins are "B"s. Not that they cannot be A, but they haven't been around long enough to see where they settle once the bloom is off the rose.

I'm overthinking it, of course.

#404 6 months ago

I'm curious, what do you guys think how much a price drop on the secondary market would be considered a bubble burst? I have no answer, but I know the two camps would disagree. Not getting full resale on a brand new game or losing on a pre-order that turned out to be unpopular you speculated on doesn't count in my mind.

#405 6 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I'm curious, what do you guys think how much a price drop on the secondary market would be considered a bubble burst? I have no answer, but I know the two camps would disagree. Not getting full resale on a brand new game or losing on a pre-order that turned out to be unpopular you speculated on doesn't count in my mind.

I am of the camp it'll never happen, because it never has in the history of the home buyer market, but I'll play along. 25% decrease in the price of games would be enough of a drop to out of the give and take for any given older title.

#406 6 months ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

I am of the camp it'll never happen, because it never has in the history of the home buyer market, but I'll play along. 25% decrease in the price of games would be enough of a drop to out of the give and take for any given older title.

I was thinking maybe 50%. So, a right now $4k DMD, which is about the entry now goes to $3K bubble burst? If it goes to $2K I beleive for sure. I guess I see it is when the games that more accessible to the people that can't afford to have games gets back to the point where the old prices (right now prices) seem like you got a hell of a deal. However, if $20K game goes to $15 is that much of burst, which would be 25% drop?

#407 6 months ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

This I believe. But I don't see us going into recession. The other markers don't really line up like they would traditionally.

We are in a “technical recession” as historically defined now. They had to change the definition

The other “markers”? The yield curve is INVERTED big time. It’s the sharpest spread in 40 yrs.

We just got 3.4% on a 6 month TBill.

The question is how deep the recession will end up being in the US and Worldwide.

Job loss? The Fed is intent on seeing to that in order to get inflation under control

The party is over for now

If one is buying pins to flip then you already know that outcome today.

If not, then who cares what your hobby pin is worth a year from now or anytime for that matter

#408 6 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

For some people only a full exodus of pinball machines to a point of people giving them away would qualify as a bubble burst. For me the bubble burs when pins hit an all time high and then prices start coming down again. Which is where we are right now. Just like playing Dig Dug. The bubble can be pumped up again, and again.

#409 6 months ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

For some people only a full exodus of pinball machines to a point of people giving them away would qualify as a bubble burst. For me the bubble burs when pins hit an all time high and then prices start coming down again. Which is where we are right now. Just like playing Dig Dug. The bubble can be pumped up again, and again.

That as slow deflation, not a burst though.

#410 6 months ago

Fair question:

For me a true bubble burst would be regression of prices across the board to 7 or 8 years ago:

A list games like Addams or TZ going for around $5k or less.

B list WPC games for $2000-2500, same price for almost all DE or Sega games.

$10K plus old games becoming an extreme rarity

All the remakes, LEs etc selling for their original price or less.

Most used recent games going for $1000 under their NIB price.

Let me know when we see stuff like this.

#411 6 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Fair question:
    For me a true bubble burst would be regression of prices across the board to 5 years ago.
    B list WPC games for $2000-2500, same price for almost all DE or Sega games.
    $10K plus old games becoming an extreme rarity
    All the remakes, LEs etc selling for their original price or less.
    Most used recent games going for $1000 under face.
    Let me know when we see stuff like this.

I'm thinking along the same lines.

#412 6 months ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

We are in a “technical recession” as historically defined now. They had to change the definition
    The other “markers”? The yield curve is INVERTED big time. It’s the sharpest spread in 40 yrs.
    We just got 3.4% on a 6 month TBill.
    The question is how deep the recession will end up being in the US and Worldwide.
    Job loss? The Fed is intent on seeing to that in order to get inflation under control
    The party is over for now
    If one is buying pins to flip then you already know that outcome today.
    If not, then who cares what your hobby pin is worth a year from now or anytime for that matter

Flippers are gonna be in full force with the release of Bond this week. Didn’t work for TS4 because of the already high prices and being a turd of a game. Popular titles are gonna bring out the vultures and I don’t see it changing.

#413 6 months ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Flippers are gonna be in full force with the release of Bond this week. Didn’t work for TS4 because of the already high prices and being a turd of a game. Popular titles are gonna bring out the vultures and I don’t see it changing.

We don't have the pricing yet though, right?

#414 6 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

We don't have the pricing yet though, right?

I don’t think stern is gonna rock the boat with pice increase (the kind of $1k at once nonsense we are seeing with other companies).

They never have before. I’d guess a $500 or less increase.

#415 6 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don’t think stern is gonna rock the boat with pice increase (the kind of $1k at once nonsense we are seeing with other companies).

Maybe so, but people are worried about it though. For Stern even a less increase than JJP, but more than normal will cause people to feel it hard than already over priced JJP.

#416 6 months ago

Not yet, but does it really matter? People are in line and looking for LE’s currently because of the hype. The LE’s are already sold out and it has not even been officially released.

#417 6 months ago

Stern has always been the most affordable machines. I don’t think they have any incentive to “go JJP.”

They dominate the market partly because they are the only NIB buy that makes sense for operators.

#418 6 months ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Not yet, but does it really matter? People are in line and looking for LE’s currently because of the hype. The LE’s are already sold out and it has not even been officially released.

I think the picture leaks worked so there was no surprise like TS4. People know what they are getting and are lined up.

#419 6 months ago

These conversations always devolve into the latest pins. The bulk of the market isn’t the latest flavor of the week. I think any discussion of the market really needs to be split into recent releases / rest of the market. They really are two different animals

#420 6 months ago

I listed my Demo Man for $4K and it took over 3 hours to sell instead of the customary 1 hour. There’s definitely something going on!

#421 6 months ago

The entire market is down, sales will be naturally be down across all categories, stimulus money is spent, raising of prices now is a terrible idea. Stern has been around so long they seem to understand this business the best.

#422 6 months ago

If prices go more than 20% down, maybe 25%, us rich guys will start snapping up the $7500 TZ and Addams, etc. So it will only fall so much.

P.s. I'm not really one of those rich guys, but I have savings for just such an emergency

#423 6 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ha!…

#424 6 months ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I listed my Demo Man for $4K and it took over 3 hours to sell instead of the customary 1 hour. There’s definitely something going on!

$4000CA is now $1500 USD? Didn't realize the loonie had fallen so far..

#425 6 months ago
    Quoted from metallik:

$4000CA is now $1500 USD? Didn't realize the loonie had fallen so far..

Savage!!!

#426 6 months ago

Headed to pre pandemic levels

#427 6 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A list games like Addams or TZ going for around $5k or less.

Think hell will freeze over before we ever see that

#428 6 months ago
    Quoted from DropGems:

Headed to pre pandemic levels

I haven’t seen it - but I only buy games that are older than 10-15 years

#429 5 months ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

I haven’t seen it - but I only buy games that are older than 10-15 years

It’s kinda inevitable at this point. We switch from a sellers market to a buyers market quick. Price drops, obo instead of firm and very few sales pending I’ve noticed.

2 months later
    #430 3 months ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

We are in a “technical recession” as historically defined now.

I wish. 3% GDP and almost record low unemployment. We'll see what CPI looks like tomorrow which will help dictate how crushing the fed is going to get with rates.

Either way, I can to this 11YO thread to see if the bubble burst yet...Kinda thinking of adding something new...Are new sterns still $5k?

#431 3 months ago

For the past 5 years, I could resell my games without losing too much per game after enjoying them for a short while. That is not true right now.

At this moment, most games are not selling.

Therefore, there are far fewer buyers willing to pay current prices.

Prices will continue falling as sellers grow impatient.

#432 3 months ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

For the past 5 years, I could resell my games without losing too much per game after enjoying them for a short while. That is not true right now.
    At this moment, most games are not selling.
    Therefore, there are far fewer buyers willing to pay current prices.
    Prices will continue falling as sellers grow impatient.

Interesting. Good time to look I guess! I sold my low play HUO MET for ~$6500 5 years ago...wouldnt mind getting one again...Any idea if they've dropped well below that? Thanks

#433 3 months ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Interesting. Good time to look I guess! I sold my low play HUO MET for ~$6500 5 years ago...wouldnt mind getting one again...Any idea if they've dropped well below that? Thanks

#434 3 months ago

That statement above is hilarious

#435 3 months ago
    Quoted from allsportdvd:

That statement above is hilarious

One above or two above?

#436 3 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

One above or two above?

2 above
    Any idea if they've dropped well below that?

#437 3 months ago
    Quoted from allsportdvd:

2 above

Apparently you just need to wait for: "sellers grow impatient."

#438 3 months ago
    Quoted from allsportdvd:

2 above

I'm guessing that you disagree that prices have dropped below what they were 5 years ago?

I don't know. I haven't bought a pin in a few years.

What I DO know is that I was promised a pin price crash 15 years ago and I'm still not seeing it it seems

#439 3 months ago

In the Australian market they are probably double the price of 5 years ago, I’m talking used pre 2015 machines

#440 3 months ago
    Quoted from allsportdvd:

In the Australian market they are probably double the price of 5 years ago, I’m talking used pre 2015 machines

Got it. I bought a T2 7 years ago for $1750...Think I can get my money back or am I underwater?

There are 440 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-price-bubble-think-it-cant-happen-think-again/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.