(Topic ID: 4443)

Pinball price BUBBLE ... think it can't happen? THINK AGAIN!

By Hyperion

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,050 posts
  • 289 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 53 days ago by JWilberdog
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you think there is a Pinball Price Bubble?”

• Yes 265 votes
      45%
    • No 202 votes
      35%
    • Maybe 83 votes
      14%
    • I don't care long as I make more $$$ 33 votes
      6%

(583 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

720 (resized).jpg
    Beef-Stroganoff-Recipe-9 (resized).jpg
    medicine.gif
    IMG_0285 (resized).png
    C0F20021-920D-43FF-B712-0B224763EA5A.gif
    df8bcdcc-0fc4-41da-a236-dc499c05614c_text.gif
    revenge-of-the-nerds-fire-3.gif
    revenge-of-the-nerds-fire-4.gif
    06AF2B45-791D-4627-84CE-2EFEE9688266 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1997 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2006 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1811 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20230719_191134_Brave (resized).jpg
    6350EBD5-B1CD-4607-82FB-D27100639F3E.gif
    IMG_8068 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8067 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,050 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 21.
    #651 9 months ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

everybody is a tough guy until they get punched in the mouth...................mike tyson

Kind of almost close.

#652 9 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Kind of almost close.

Thought the same thing. Reminded of something Albert Einstein once said: "I haven't said half the things that are attributed to me."

I think the Mike Tyson quote is actually: "Everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the face."

But, hey, the tough guy thing works, too. Kind of almost close...

#653 9 months ago
    Quoted from Nicholastree:

Thought the same thing. Reminded of something Albert Einstein once said: "I haven't said half the things that are attributed to me."
    I think the Mike Tyson quote is actually: "Everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the face."

bb2 (resized).jpgbb2 (resized).jpg
    #654 9 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Kind of almost close.

It’s funny when someone gets a quote like that completely wrong and makes themselves look like a moron.

Like…take 8 seconds to google it first! You’ll get it right and come off all smooth!

#655 9 months ago

I’ve never heard so many grown men say “it’s none of your business” about buying and selling anything.
    Want to know who I voted for? No problem!
    Want to know how crazy I got with my wife last night? No problem!
    Want to know what I sold my pinball machine for?
    There’s no god damn way in hell I’ll tell you something that private!!!!

#656 9 months ago

...Albert Einstein once said: "I haven't said half the things that are attributed to me."

And yet gets no credit for "the definition of insanity..." shit people love to post non stop.

#657 9 months ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I’ve never heard so many grown men say “it’s none of your business” about buying and selling anything.

You haven't? The topic of posting sold prices is as old and tired as the "Price Bubble" threads are. Most if not all my sales prices have been posted but I really could care less what others have sold/paid for a game. To each his own. If a game sold for += a few hundred is it going to really really matter unless your in the market for that game at that moment? I know a few collectors that aren't on Pinside or KLOV.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-average-game-values-are-not-realistic-in-2020
    https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/should-it-be-required-to-leave-asking-sold-prices-in-fs-threads.406857/
    https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/why-do-some-consider-selling-prices-top-secret.457329/
    https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/a-request-to-my-fellow-klovers.321886/page-3

#659 9 months ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Want to know who I voted for? No problem!
    Want to know what I sold my pinball machine for?
    There’s no god damn way in hell I’ll tell you something that private!!!!

You probably haven't seen so many grown men discussing pinball before either.

It's a crazy world here at Pinside! There's always stuff you haven't seen before.

#660 9 months ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I appreciate all the energy for the links but it was sarcasm...

2 seconds to search for anyone feeling curious I think I'm siding with CrazyLevi and the Groundhog Day feeling he gets.

#661 9 months ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

2 seconds to search for anyone feeling curious

I think he was being sarcastic about all the energy you spent.

#662 9 months ago

It’s not just the pinball market…. Almost everything entertainment is struggling. People over saturated during covid and they are moving on.

Netflix, Roku, and the streamers have hit headwinds. The movie industry is way down. YouTube and most of the social media platforms are struggling for revenue (and relevance).

People are shifting back to travel and outdoor activities.

Stern expanded their factory at a bad time.

#663 9 months ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

It’s not just the pinball market…. Almost everything entertainment is struggling. People over saturated during covid and they are moving on.
    Netflix, Roku, and the streamers have hit headwinds. The movie industry is way down. YouTube and most of the social media platforms are struggling for revenue (and relevance).
    People are shifting back to travel and outdoor activities.
    Stern expanded their factory at a bad time.

Stern is doing just fine. I’m sure they scroll through these threads at board meetings for a good laugh.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Home edition pins exist just to piss Pinside off, out of spite

#664 9 months ago
    Quoted from mbl1116:

Stern is doing just fine. I’m sure they scroll through these threads at board meetings for a good laugh.
    Wouldn’t surprise me if Home edition pins exist just to piss Pinside off, out of spite

We’ll have to agree to disagree.

I have worked for companies that underwent massive capacity expansions just as the market softened. No one was laughing.

#665 9 months ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

We’ll have to agree to disagree.
    I have worked for companies that underwent massive capacity expansions just as the market softened. No one was laughing.

Are you suggesting that if we think the bubble can't burst, we need to THINK AGAIN?

#666 9 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Are you suggesting that if we think the bubble can't burst, we need to THINK AGAIN?

No one has defined “burst bubble”

I think the market has softened… probably 10-20%. I wouldn’t call it a “burst bubble”…. But I don’t think Stern’s Board of Directors are doing belly laughs about the soft market.

#667 9 months ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

I think the market has softened… probably 10-20%. I wouldn’t call it a “burst bubble”…. But I don’t think Stern’s Board of Directors are doing belly laughs about the soft market.

They'd probably be thrilled with a "market softening" if it would kill off some of their competition. Do you think these smaller companies will survive this market meltdown we are currently in? What's the "belly laugh" situation over at Spooky, AP, JJP etc?

#668 9 months ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Until they see sales slump, and even if they do, it happens in manufacturing. This stuff is never consistent, it's also not end of the world. Right now Stern has no problem selling out of their pins, filling dealers with stock, so as long as they are moving product they are happy. Once they start struggling to sell out of 1k LE models and dealers stop having wait lists for pins, then they need to have some concern.

Folks see dealers with inventory, good for them, Stern still sold those games so to them, business is fine. Only real problem is if dealers fail to move product and run out of space or ability to buy more.

Things are clearly slowing a bit, but we have no crashes or bursting going on

#669 9 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They'd probably be thrilled with a "market softening" if it would kill off some of their competition. Do you think these smaller companies will survive this market meltdown we are currently in? What's the "belly laugh" situation over at Spooky, AP, JJP etc?

I think they will accept that it is a possible silver lining, but in my experience… they are likely more concerned about their own profitability.

#670 9 months ago

It’s not the end of the world… until it is. I sure they are laser focused on profitability. They just opened a larger, and presumably more expensive facility, at a time of rising interest rates.
    Yes… distributors have stock … but they are not endless banks that can offer cash to Stern to hold inventory for extended periods. If a few of them start to go belly up they’ll liquidate and add even more stress on pricing (which will make its way back to Stern and other MFGs).
    I am not saying, or do I in anyway, think they are facing insolvency… but if they are not looking at the overall health of the their distribution market I’d be shocked.
    Will they cut prices… I highly doubt it… the first step to boosting profitability is to cut *COST*

#671 9 months ago

Duplicate

(for the sake of getting the thread back on track... I have edited my typo.... carry on)

#672 9 months ago
    Quoted from justler:

The people you speak of are uneducated consumers who don't do their diligence to try and save money or get themselves a good deal (Not always the cheapest). They are probably the majority in most market spaces. The same people who will spends hours on TikTok but not a few hours searching google and educating themselves on purchases.

Money isn't everything. My most valuable, irreplaceable resource is time. I can always make more money.

I don't cut coupons when i go grocery shopping, or to a restaurant, or order a pizza. I don't thumb through a Kroger paper or pore over the coupons in the mail to save 30 cents on shampoo. My time is worth more than that.

Buying a car? Sure, I'll spend a little time there. Researching a hair dryer? No.

#673 9 months ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

The used market has softened without question, but that has no impact on Stern. They only sell the game once at the price they need to.

If they start rolling out 3 cornerstones a year again you’ll just see a bunch of the games that are sitting in inventory be archived. Everyone will still buy the new exciting game

#674 9 months ago
    Quoted from mbl1116:

The used market has softened without question, but that has no impact on Stern. They only sell the game once at the price they need to.
    If they start rolling out 3 cornerstones a year again you’ll just see a bunch of the games that are sitting in inventory be archived. Everyone will still buy the new exciting game

Used markets are almost always tied to new markets. People sell their used games to fund their new ones.

Regardless- the new market has also softened. Distributors have plenty of stock… and there are several games NIB games that appear to have no real demand.

Again… I am not saying the sky if falling, just that Stern has to see issues with maintaining profitability levels (and not just “laughing” at people on pinside)

#675 9 months ago

same point, different verbage. you get the idea

#676 9 months ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Used markets are almost always tied to new markets. People sell their used games to fund their new ones.
    Regardless- the new market has also softened. Distributors have plenty of stock… and there are several games NIB games that appear to have no real demand.
    Again… I am not saying the sky if falling, just that Stern has to see issues with maintaining profitability levels (and not just “laughing” at people on pinside)

The good news for Stern is that the distributors will hit those financial strains before they do. I can't imagine distros love having as much stock on hand as they do right now. Wonder what the lowest they can sell the leftover Bond 60ths for?

#677 9 months ago
    Quoted from newovad:

The good news for Stern is that the distributors will hit those financial strains before they do. I can't imagine distros love having as much stock on hand as they do right now. Wonder what the lowest they can sell the leftover Bond 60ths for?

Obviously they will check the Pinside archives

#678 9 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Obviously they will check the Pinside archives

Everyone else sold it at a loss, but not this guy.

Probably why we still shouldn't care about the whole thing because it is self reported.

#679 9 months ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

It’s not the end of the world… until it is. I sure they are laser focused on profitability. They just opened a larger, and presumably more expensive facility, at a time of rising interest rates.
    Yes… distributors have stock … but they are not endless banks that can offer cash to Stern to hold inventory for extended periods. If a few of them start to go belly up they’ll liquidate and add even more stress on pricing (which will make its way back to Stern and other MFGs).
    I am not saying, or do I in anyway, think they are facing insolvency… but if they are not looking at the overall health of the their distribution market I’d be shocked.
    Will they cut prices… I highly doubt it… the first step to boosting profitability is to cut *COST*

Part of manufacturing is being able to be flexible with your production schedules and understanding there is ups and downs, I'm sure they have this all well in hand barring economic calamity which would affect more than just Stern.

At the moment, they are doing peachy.

#680 9 months ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Nobody is gonna inquire into this dude's crazy night??!!?!?! Ok, I'll bite.

Also a prediction... You showed her a crazy wicked interesting pinside thread with a bunch of dudes bitching about what is and isn't their or anyone else's business is, was, and never will be

#681 9 months ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

I'll do it then. 90s DMD games selling for $1000. Because that was where they were when people starting proclaiming a price bubble. Isn't it logical that prices get back to where they were for it to actually be burst?

I'll even have some fun and specify my pricing of a game I still own. In 2010 I paid $1100 for Getaway. Today with inflation that game would be priced at: $1549.

So by my logic, when I see a dirty, but good shape fully working Getaway for $1549, we can all declare the bubble as being burst.

#682 9 months ago

In my experience, the only people who care about other people knowing what price they bought or sold a game for are:

1. flippers, or
    2. people that are price gouging / trying to keep prices grossly inflated.

I’ve actually followed some ads where people sold a game for less, and then increased the price after the sale to keep the game value elevated.

To say that somebody should scour the Internet for sales data, when they are a member of a hobby pinball site right here that should have such data readily and reliably available, sounds absolutely moronic to me.

#683 9 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Part of manufacturing is being able to be flexible with your production schedules and understanding there is ups and downs, I'm sure they have this all well in hand barring economic calamity which would affect more than just Stern.
    At the moment, they are doing peachy.

Exactly.. And who would know this better than Stern given the company history.

#684 9 months ago

di·pli·cate - verb -
    make or be an exact copy of - but to do so with the utmost diplomacy.

(It is ridiculous how new words are created just to be politically correct.)

#685 9 months ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

Nobody is gonna inquire into this dude's crazy night??!!?!?! Ok, I'll bite.

I want to know. Come on Matt, spill the beans. I’m sure I can top it.

#686 9 months ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I cant show pics or forceflow will delete it and lock me out

#687 9 months ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Quoted from mrm_4:

I cant show pics or forceflow will delete it and lock me out

I propose a two thousand word detailed explanation.

#688 9 months ago

Which comes first, the burst - or - the essay?

#689 9 months ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Yeah what the heck. Go for it.

I hope it involves farm animals and peanut butter.

LTG : )

#690 9 months ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

I propose a two thousand word detailed explanation.

I don’t know about his, but mine involved two chicks, a hairless cat, Hersheys syrup and Saran Wrap.

Talk about a bubble.

#691 9 months ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I don’t know about his, but mine involved two chicks, a hairless cat, Hersheys syrup and Saran Wrap.
    Talk about a bubble.

Very nice, our tale included some chick in a mini skirt wearing Boba Fett's armor, jumper cables, a pinata that looked like the talking green M&M, a gallon of miralax?, a funnel, duct tape and that device in Clockwork Orange that holds your eye lids open...
    The weird thing is when we woke up there was a note in lipstick on the mirror that read "Thanks for the good time! Love Bea Arthur"

#692 9 months ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Talk about a bubble.

THE Colson Special™

#693 9 months ago

So just going to tap the beehive here...
    Is the fear of releasing the sale amount the reason the bubble hasnt fully burst?
    I think right now its making that high pitch squeal like a tight balloon
    I think it would go full blown fart noise if everyone posted the actual sale price
    Any thoughts Levi?

#694 9 months ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

di·pli·cate - verb -
    make or be an exact copy of - but to do so with the utmost diplomacy.
    (It is ridiculous how new words are created just to be politically correct in these woke times.)

huh... it was a typo... I was on an airplane, typing on my phone, with spotty coverage.

#695 9 months ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

So just going to tap the beehive here...
    Is the fear of releasing the sale amount the reason the bubble hasnt fully burst?
    I think right now its making that high pitch squeal like a tight balloon
    I think it would go full blown fart noise if everyone posted the actual sale price
    Any thoughts Levi?

Just trying to wrap my simple mind around the sensitivity of sharing sales prices of games

#696 9 months ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

huh... it was a typo... I was on an airplane, typing on my phone, with spotty coverage.

I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. It wasn't my fault!

IMG_7373 (resized).jpegIMG_7373 (resized).jpeg
    #697 9 months ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I'll do it then. 90s DMD games selling for $1000. .

I paid $900 for a players condition Sharkey's Shootout last month....

#698 9 months ago

I sold my daughter to a Russian oligarch. I asked 100kUSD. After a little back and forth, currency conversion, and bank fees, I walked with $77, 989.12 USD.

Why would I care if you know these details??

Oh, and we're expecting in September. Crack out the cigars!

#699 9 months ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I sold my daughter to a Russian oligarch. I asked 100kUSD. After a little back and forth, currency conversion, and bank fees, I walked with $77, 989.12 USD.
    Why would I care if you know these details??
    Oh, and we're expecting in September. Crack out the cigars!

But did you post the sale price on Oligarchside.com?

#700 9 months ago

Train…meet thread.
    7C33DC39-D7A8-4485-8986-1E761701BBF4.gif7C33DC39-D7A8-4485-8986-1E761701BBF4.gif

There are 1,050 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-price-bubble-think-it-cant-happen-think-again/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.