• 271 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by leonml
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Predict the future of A list pinball prices”

• They will continue to rise with no end in sight. ($30K for a MM someday!) 55 votes
    12%
  • They will continue to rise and then take a dip (Newer technology replacing old) 119 votes
    27%
  • They will stay about the same for a long time (Still out of reach for most) 171 votes
    39%
  • I don't want to think about it and enjoy the pins that I have. 44 votes
    10%
  • I don't care. 53 votes
    12%

(442 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

yuuuup.jpeg
trends2.gif
trends.gif
3.jpg
IMG_1234.PNG
marshallluckyposter.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider betelgeuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It has to be for the rest of the world to adopt pinball again....better get used to it...and it will interact, etc.....its just the beginning and YES it is a GAME CHANGER..sorry you are wrong

Where do you get your speculation from? You constantly speak as if you have played games from the future. The LCD is not a game changer. Games were made decades ago that had tv screens integrated into the game and they are very forgettable. Pinball2000 games aren't even exceptionally desirable. I'm not saying it's not cool, but it's not going to make games of the past look obsolete.

For arguments sake, let's say that every game from the future which you have played is a major smash hit that destroys all pinball before it. It would still take a 5-10 years of these games being cranked out in large numbers for people to dismiss the old titles. It's not just for nostalgia either. There are plenty of new people coming in and ALL pinball is new to them.

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I've played slot machines from the present!!!

Yea, where you are meant to be staring at a screen the entire time.

Quoted from iceman44:

How do you know its NOT a GAME CHANGER

Like I said, similar things have been done in the past. How often do you even get a chance to look at a screen on the backbox on any good pinball machine?? It's ok if you don't mind watching the same video clips over and over while the ball is held up. It's the action on the playfield that always matters most. Again, I'm not anti-lcd, but it's a superficial improvement.

#143 7 years ago

Unfortunately, I think that there may be nothing that can revive pinball on location. From what I have seen, the learning curve for pinball is just too steep. After such a hiatus, Americans as a whole just don't know the first thing about how to play. If they are intrigued, at $.75 a pop they get easily frustrated and move on. When it was a bigger part of our culture, most people had some experience as a starting point to improve their skills. I have had plenty of people come over to check out my machines out of curiosity, only to not even plunge a ball during their visit.

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

It will never be like it was, but can it evolve and keep going? I think so. The main thing is we have to forget the arcades of yesteryear in any vision of keeping pinball alive.

I agree. I didn't mean to imply that pinball was doomed, just that new bling wasn't going to bring in new players on location. I think the future of pinball is with collectors, tournaments and large facilities. I also think the popularity of video pinball is a great way to break the ice and convey the fundamentals to a new generation of enthusiasts.

I was also a big Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat player back in the day. I miss the arcade era.

1 year later
#255 6 years ago

I can't say that I fully agree with the statements about DMD games becoming obsolete like EMs and early ss games, even if the LCD becomes standard. Firstly, it would take more than a handful of LCD titles to even make a dent in the DMD market. Secondly, what sets DMD games apart from the games before them was MUCH more than just a new display. They introduced (or at least made standard) the use of all the things we expect in modern pinball like ramps, modes, multiballs, wizard objectives, flashers, magnets, etc... I don't see anything revolutionary like that going on even in the proposed new designs some 25 years later. Really, if you took the LCD out of WOZ, it's pretty much no more advanced than games back to the early 90's. There's nothing new on the playfield, where you are actually playing the game and focusing your attention.

Brian

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider betelgeuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside