(Topic ID: 50050)

Pinball Podcasts rankings and a little critique.small update.

By starbase

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 102 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by dtown
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #52 10 years ago
    Quoted from ChevelleSSguy:

It would be kind of neat to see Lloyd bring this podcast back again.

That was with Jesse Kujawa. Exciting times, even did a broadcast from one of my events.

Sadly Jesse had a career change and an ailing Grandparent all happen at the same time. And we never came back from that. I'm not sure Jesse is active in pinball anymore.

A couple years back another group was going to do a lunch with LTG : ) podcast, but it never got going.

Never know what the future holds. LTG : )

#53 10 years ago

I like them all. I am listening to the old Silverball Podcasts right now and I am really enjoying those.

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Dude! Seriously?

Yep, seriously. I'm dedicated to the craft. 2 hours is the average, some days 1:30 a bad day is 3:45. depends on what broke where the night before.

#55 10 years ago

I've been a spooky pinball listener since episode 1 but lately the issues mentioned above are starting to make my interest in the show decline.

The pinball star guy goes on WAAAAY too long. Charlie never does interviews by himself anymore.

The EM dungeon....enough said.

Also, when they are doing phone interviews now it sounds like maybe Charlie is putting the caller on speakerphone and setting the tape recorder next to the speakerphone. It's so distorted I can't understand what the caller is saying.

More interviews please Charlie, in person or road trips are best but at least make sure we can hear the caller.

Other than those few complaints you are doing a good job otherwise we wouldn't be listening .

#56 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

I like them all. I am listening to the old Silverball Podcasts right now and I am really enjoying those.

Those guys are my favorites. Found them early on in my collecting and eagerly await each 2hr epic episode lol. They have an awesome warehouse raid DVD too.

#58 10 years ago

Never heard of it, but I'll give it a try. Video podcasts are hard to follow sometimes since I'm always on the move. I currently subscribe to almost 100 podcasts (some are weekly, but some less frequent). Glad my app allows 2x speed.

#59 10 years ago
    Quoted from Metalpin:

Never heard of it, but I'll give it a try. Video podcasts are hard to follow sometimes since I'm always on the move. I currently subscribe to almost 100 podcasts (some are weekly, but some less frequent). Glad my app allows 2x speed.

Geek Gamer Weekly is available in both audio and video forms.

The pinball specific edition of GGW is once a month.

For those who want a pure pinball feed, the Geek Gamer Pinball RSS/iTunes links are available as well.

#60 10 years ago

The geekgamer pinball shows have been awesome! I'm still working through the second one, I watch it when the wife is away to avoid ridicule.

It seems like Bowen will be a regular?

#61 10 years ago

I may have to checkout Minecraft Me... that picture on the main page is incredible. I only dabbled in Minecraft for a short time, but it was quite entertaining.

#62 10 years ago

I subscribe to a lot of "geek", game, movie, comic, and talk podcasts. Surprised I haven't run into it yet. Giving the pinball and weekly feed a try tonight.

#63 10 years ago
    Quoted from Chase:

Geek Gamer Weekly is available in both audio and video forms.
    The pinball specific edition of GGW is once a month.
    For those who want a pure pinball feed, the Geek Gamer Pinball RSS/iTunes links are available as well.

I wasn't aware of this. I'll mention it on our next episode (recording tonight, actually) and we'll throw a link in the show notes.

#64 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

The geekgamer pinball shows have been awesome! I'm still working through the second one, I watch it when the wife is away to avoid ridicule.
    It seems like Bowen will be a regular?

Bowen (if he is available) will probably be a regular on the monthly pinball editions of the show, with 1-2 guests rotating in. (Thinking designers/players/modders/etc)

Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I may have to checkout Minecraft Me... that picture on the main page is incredible. I only dabbled in Minecraft for a short time, but it was quite entertaining.

I didn't get into Minecraft until starting that show. Its really fun and have an awesome community behind it as well.

Quoted from Metalpin:

I subscribe to a lot of "geek", game, movie, comic, and talk podcasts. Surprised I haven't run into it yet. Giving the pinball and weekly feed a try tonight.

Quoted from jar155:

I wasn't aware of this. I'll mention it on our next episode (recording tonight, actually) and we'll throw a link in the show notes.

Thanks so much!

Basically, Geek Gamer Weekly is our weekly show about everything Gaming, Technology and Geek related. This is available in both audio and video formats and feeds. We focus every weekly episode, so once a month we play a game live and chat about it, once a month we take calls, once a month we dedicate to pinball and once a month we chat about the months top stories. (on the months where we have a 5th Sunday.....then probably more pinball!)

Recently, because of all the coverage from the PAPA Circuit Final and Pinburgh 2012 Finals, I set up a new feed called Geek Gamer Pinball, which includes all the footage I do of pinball and shows about it. So basically anyone who "just wants pinball" can grab this feed separately.

The main network is here: http://www.geekgamer.tv

This is something that I do as a passion and in my free time and earn little to no income on it. Most come from awesome people who donate to the cause to keep it going!

Any more questions, please let me know!

- Chase

#65 10 years ago

Sorry only had time to listen to one of your shows and to be honest if your others shows are like this and you do one once a month with Bowen on it your squeezing into the 2 spot and maybe number 1 it was that good.

Sorry for delay in Thailand and have had zero time for podcasts. No offense intended and I do detect a little sarcasm. Just know I love your show and you seem to direct the show and keep it flowing in a amazing way. Listened till the last second and the part with papa commentary was not only well done but clear as day. Thank you for your amazing show and I want to listen to the non pin show to and video version.

#66 10 years ago

most of the pinball podcasts are monthly, I subscribe to way more than that.. pinball soul is about the only exception

#67 10 years ago

Gameroom junkies is the favourite now. The show I look forward to the most.

Their take on Pinburgh was excelent. Brought everything somewhat down to earth again. I should add, that my competitive pinball career is a bit problematic right now - to pick a word. I definetly enjoyed the podcast.

#68 10 years ago

I really think that the chemistry between the hosts/guests is the key to success. Obviously Clay's ability to relate to his guests on his TOPcast show was outstanding...I really miss that podcast!

I also really miss Rob & Steve's SILVERBALL PODCAST! Simple things like the eBAY Sale Price guessing game were hilarious. Also, just riffing about stuff that happened in a particular year was cool...the things that were going on around the pinball we were playing back in the day.

Don & Jeff have the best balance of content these days. Their casual/REAL style is something a lot of 'professional' broadcasters could take note of.

And I love that the SPOOKY PODCAST allows us to listen to Charlie living the dream...I hope I buy one of his pins one day.

Anyone who gets off the couch & puts in this sort of time & effort has my absolute respect! KEEP IT UP GUYS!

#69 10 years ago

Well, Don and I recorded a new show last night. It's a bit longer than any other because we talked about Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown for a while and about landmark pinball releases, such as LAH and SF2. Be ready for some hard hitting, soul shaking, pinball pontificating.

Alliteration.

#70 10 years ago

I was aware of Minecraft Me (I'm not a fan of Minecraft myself) and the work done for Pinburgh which I enjoyed greatly. I had no idea there was a audio version of your pinball casts but have been introduced to that with this thread. I think the audio version is key as I do prefer to listen to podcasts as opposed to watching a video.

Having listened to both the previous pinball casts Geek Gamer has done, I'd say these have incredible potential. The content is exactly what I'm after in a pinball podcast as I'm more into the games themselves, new games coming out, and competitive play, which seem to be lacking in many of the other casts.

Great work so far and I look forward to more.

#71 10 years ago

Here's a local shout out to Gameroom Junkies. Not only a great podcast but Preston and Pat are great guys. In fact Patrick is one of the nicest people you could meet in pinball or out...

#72 10 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisVW:

The EM dungeon....enough said.

To each their own but I don't get all of the critiques re: the EM Dungeon segment. I feel his content is intelligent and presented well. Sure, he was intentionally eerie at the get-go, it's called *Spooky Pinball*... but that seems to have faded off quite a bit in recent episodes.

Perhaps the biggest problem may be that he could use some sort of visual, even if just a few pics on Charlies site. The content might be too difficult for some to follow with audio-only.

My family had an EM when I was a kid but I've not owned one in 15 years of collecting. Would like to, so many non collectors that I run into want me to fix their 1 pin... and it's always an EM!

1 week later
    #73 10 years ago

Well I got mentioned on three podcasts for this thread which made me blush a bit. Thanks to The Pinball Podcast, Pinball Soul and Gameroom Junkies for mentioning the thread. Glad nobody got freaked out over a little criticism and glad some of the feedback made a few people smile for the praise.

The pinball podcast episode this month was fantastic and it seems this thread may have lit a fire in them. Probably there best episode yet, props guys.

Will be available for interviews in a few months if anyone wants some interesting stories from a newbie collectors point of view.

#74 10 years ago

There's a non-pin podcast that I like that just had a group discussion of their experiences with machines at PAPA. Nothing stiff here. No drooling over Metallica, topper purchases, game flipping, game dev name-dropping, just casual pinball talk. It's worth a listen IMO.

There was a fun misinterpretation about the ORBS targets on Centaur.

http://www.nowyoureplayingwith.com/now-youre-playing-with-podcast-episode-18-pinball-night-in-america/

#75 10 years ago

gameroom junkies was top notch this month. Lots of great interviews, including the guy that did the demoman Pin2k conversion. Loved the guy that bought the 27,000 tokens to use as tile for his gameroom.

#76 10 years ago

As Starbase said, lots of mentions for this topic on the podcasts. Pretty cool!

I think the Spooky Pinball Podcast episode 39 (http://www.spookypinball.com/http:/spookypinball.com/spooky-pinball-podcast-show-39/) was especially influenced by this thread, as Charlie (and K.T.) spent a lot of time referring to specific points (but mostly laughing them off). But Charlie certainly more than addressed my point about the lack of promotion on his show for his new pinball company, and K.T. backed him up every step of the way. I found his reasoning to be very understandable, and he provided the openness I was hoping for. I blogged about what I took away from the episode (http://pinballsoul.com/new-gameroom-junkies-spooky-pinball-episodes/), but you should definitely hear episode 39 for yourself.

Post edited by The1JoshuaB : fixed url links

#77 10 years ago

Look forward to hearing the new Spooky episode. I've been thinking about their upcoming game(s) a lot this week...

#78 10 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

gameroom junkies was top notch this month. Lots of great interviews, including the guy that did the demoman Pin2k conversion. Loved the guy that bought the 27,000 tokens to use as tile for his gameroom.

I agree! This was one of their best! Three great interviews with guys that had a passion you could hear in their voices! The guy with the token tiles had a TON of game room tips that I thought were very original and interesting. Great job, Gameroom Junkies!

#79 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sparky:

I agree! This was one of their best! Three great interviews with guys that had a passion you could hear in their voices! The guy with the token tiles had a TON of game room tips that I thought were very original and interesting. Great job, Gameroom Junkies!

Thanks for the comments. I was the guy who did the token floor in my gameroom that was interviewed on gameroom junkies this month. Just wanted to share some stories. The bathroom should be done in a couple weeks ill post a thread on pinside with pics and video when its done.

Eric

#80 10 years ago

I thought the latest Pinball Podcast and Spooky Podcast were great too. I have always enjoyed them but feel they were a bit more focused this time around making them easier to listen to. Nice work guys.

Are we expecting a Geek Gamer pinball cast next Sunday? I hope so.

#81 10 years ago

I will listen to Spookys, latest to be honest I removed it from my playlist.

For iphone users a tremendous app for podcast is "Instacast" it is about ten times better than apples horrible podcast app.

#82 10 years ago

I liked the Demo Man 2000 guy on Gameroom Junkies. That was unexpected. The fun part? I understood what he was talking about with PROC since I'm working with it myself.

#83 10 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

I liked the Demo Man 2000 guy on Gameroom Junkies. That was unexpected. The fun part? I understood what he was talking about with PROC since I'm working with it myself.

The guy with the 27,000 tokens as stated above was just amazing. His ideas were way above what most of us aspire to with our arcade. Was not afraid to admit he is a idea man and uses other to pull off the jobs.

#84 10 years ago

I've got the Gameroom Junkies episode ready for tomorrow's commute and work day. Can't wait to check it out after hearing all of the good stuff.

#85 10 years ago

Just listened to Spooky Pinball's newest episode. It was really good. I loved the conversation with Ben Heck and Charlie's reasons for not taking deposits at this point.

Good show Charlie and K.T.!

Also, I'm always impressed by the stuff that SP is able to give away in their contests. Pretty nice stuff up for grabs every month.

#86 10 years ago

I just got into the Gameroomjunkies podcasts and am really liking theirs since they cover lots of stuff and good flow as well.

#87 10 years ago
    Quoted from starbase:

Trying to contribute to pinside and trying hard to avoid some of the drama I seem to always find when I open my big mouth .

Doesn't take much to get some peoples' panties in a wad around here.

#88 10 years ago

I applaud everyone who does podcasts... my only gripe is I find the Spooky Pinball podcast to be loaded with fluffy, obsequious questions. In the past they've had great people on their show and they ask the most softball questions, or they have someone on that they are in love with and half the show is them talking about how awesome they are and we don't really get any interesting info. And there's so much "family character development" I feel like I've been invited over to their house and they've started an impromptu slide show of their summer vacation to Ocean City, Maryland. Wow. So the clam chowder was good? Thanks for sharing! I don't know what it is about the Spooky podcast, but it's so wholesome, so hyper G-rated and fluffy and positive and filled with a year's quota of daily affirmations that I feel guilty I'm not drinking milk and rescuing kittens while I listen to it.

I think the pinball industry is fascinating and it's also pretty seedy and has lots of interesting twists and turns... nobody has really done the industry justice and written or talked about the inner workings very much, which I like to hear about.

I think Topcast is the most informative and complete podcast series.

I liked when Clay was interviewing Pat Lawlor and you could tell there were certain subjects Clay wasn't supposed to ask Pat about, and there was this interesting underlying dialogue going on where Pat was trying to impress upon Clay that if he asked certain questions, the interview would not last as long... I got the feeling Pat is a bit puritanical about certain subjects - Clay wanted to broach them but was towing the line of where he could go. Like with the button on Funhouse and what it meant.... Very interesting...

#89 10 years ago

FWIW, I listen to them all and like each one because of their uniqueness. Spooky has always been a favorite of mine. The others have their own charm. Pinball Soul is certainly catching on with me, too. I used to LOVE listening to TopCast...wish he was still doing it. On that note, I decided to listen to the Margaret Hudson episode. PAINFUL is all I can say. Man she's a clam. Clay simply could not bring her to say anything other than 1 word answers. I mean, I'm all for brevity, but come on! It was one of the most uncomfortable interviews I can ever recall listening to. I cured that by listening to Python's cast and after that surreal hour or so, the Hudson mistake was all but a distant memory.

Doc

1 month later
    #90 10 years ago

Gameroom Junkies must be doing something right. We just got a mention on AVclub.com in the same article as Nerdist and WTF! Sorry, had to share!

http://www.avclub.com/articles/nerdist-has-a-banner-week-and-jonah-hill-gets-pers,100094/

#91 10 years ago
    Quoted from NoCashValue:

Gameroom Junkies must be doing something right. We just got a mention on AVclub.com in the same article as Nerdist and WTF! Sorry, had to share!

http://www.avclub.com/articles/nerdist-has-a-banner-week-and-jonah-hill-gets-pers,100094/

Nice! Way to go!

#92 10 years ago
    Quoted from NoCashValue:

'grats, fellas.

We've got our new episode recorded now. It's our longest yet, so sorry in advance everybody. Should be live tonight or tomorrow. We had some technical issues during recording, so there's a lot of track splicing and re-aligning that's extending the editing period.

We do have a fun surprise at the end of this month's show though...

#93 10 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

'grats, fellas.
    We've got our new episode recorded now. It's our longest yet, so sorry in advance everybody. Should be live tonight or tomorrow. We had some technical issues during recording, so there's a lot of track splicing and re-aligning that's extending the editing period.
    We do have a fun surprise at the end of this month's show though...

Cant wait!

#94 10 years ago

Episode 21 went up last night.

http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/2013/07/25/the-pinball-podcast-episode-21-passion-for-premier-pinball/

Pretty sure that with this one, Joe Zenkus and his intro and outro won the Internet.

#95 10 years ago

I'm almost done listening through the 9th episode of Coast to Coast Pinball. This has now propelled to being the top 'pin cast IMO.

http://www.podcastgarden.com/podcast/coast2coastpinball

#96 10 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

I'm almost done listening through the 9th episode of Coast to Coast Pinball. This has now propelled to being the top 'pin cast IMO.
    http://www.podcastgarden.com/podcast/coast2coastpinball

Yea. Coast 2 Coast is quality work. I like Nate's attitude and humor.

#98 10 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Episode 21 went up last night.

Ahhh, now I know why you don't have any time to invite people over to your house to play pinball. 3 hour "podcasts"!! Snap....

#99 10 years ago

Gameroom Junkies is my favorite, they do a great job. Clay's are my favorite of the older ones, some of his interviews are fantastic.

4 weeks later
    #100 10 years ago

Would love to edit my original post and remove rankings. Seems dumb now to put a number that is nothing more then opinion based.

Anyways Coast to Coast pinball has been nothing short of prolific. Nate has a style that is so open and honest and really is a breath of fresh air. What started out as a short podcast seems to be growing weekly/daily. Just like Nate I was not getting enough content from pinball podcasts and his has really filled a gap for me. Also now I know if I go to New York ect I know where do find pinball and what to expect from costs to conditions. I thank you Nate for setting this goal of adding more content and doing multiple shows I a week. My first time listening I listened to four straight and was smiling most of the time. Another one with great sound quality, and his girlfriend sounds hot and nice to hear a non pinhead opinion on games occasionally. Thanks again man and your welcome to come play my collection as payback for the enjoyment you provide me if ever in Northern California, no quarters needed.

-Will
    P.s. of a mod would allow me to edit the initial post I would appreciate this, I don't think it's fair to rank them, a opinion is fine but we are lucky to have access to all of them and I feel I ruffled to many feathers by how many times I heard Starbase jabs on various podcasts. I ruffled feathers again

There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-podcasts-rankings-and-a-little-critique/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.